Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:23 PM
nitro-rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Thats the first time I've seen that bearing blow.  Must be a fluke.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:35 AM
biggaz

guys, im having trouble with my new firestorm flux!

Ive only ran it about a week and from day 1 the motor keeps slipping out of place, so far only chewed one spur but.... when i tried to tighten the motor up one of the bolts just kept turning, stripped! only thing i could do was rotate the motor onto the  other holes, same again... was nipped up (just nice not stripped)  and loctite added, same day... motor moved, tried to tighten it back up....stripped. this is really pissing me off, im NOT over tightening it, infact im not tightening it as much as id like to because of the fear of damaging the threads (its done that itself now anyway)

This shouldnt be the case with a new truck, ive had to re-mesh it around 6-7 times in a week. Can the end plate on the motors be replaced?? its a flux vektor 4800, no way am i forking out for a new motor already.

anyone else have this problem, any tips? i really hoped this little thing was gonna be pretty solid but im so dissapointed so far.

cheers gary.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:51 PM
wanna_be_racer

I know I for one, put a tad bit longer screws to mount the motor since the stock screws were indeed so short. I stripped one hole much in the same way. Put the long screws in and didn't have another problem with it.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:35 PM
nitro-rob

I've never heard of that problem although Peloche had his motor move in a new flux recently upon a hard landing.  I've never been afraid to screw a motor in, take wannabe's advice and try a slightly longer bolt.  Have you been using the same bolts each time? Red or blue loctite?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 AM
nitro-rob

I did a one-year update on my FS build thread for those that are interested.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10150765/anchors_10832885/mpage_2/key_/anchor/tm.htm#10832885

Old 11-28-2011, 03:08 PM
biggaz

Thanks fellas, been on the phone to hpi today, the wanted me to send the motor back for them to see, untill i realised that the bolts tightened ok when they were not having to go throught the motor mount plate, just like you have mentioned it seems the screws are too short and must have taken the outer threads off as it wasnt fully "home" in the motor.

They are sending me some 8mm bolts instead of 6mm the guy even said "6mm seems a bit too short" , can you remember what size you used wanna be racer?

Hope this sorts it, gonna use Blue loctite after reading on the different types it seems like th right one to use? That what people use Nitro rob?

Cheers again people, i really wanst tightening it too much either so was really suprised when it stripped.

Kinda nice to hear someone had the same problem AND the simple solution seemed to work.

cheers gary.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:48 PM
wanna_be_racer

Pretty sure I used 8mm's. They weren't that much longer but worked alot better if you're a hard basher like I am. After I switched them out, tightened them down nice and tight, never had an issue again.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:44 PM
biggaz

Cheers, ive just fitted some 8mm bolts today, used it at the skatepark and was fine untill i landed on its arse from about 4 feet and knocked the motor out slightly, i didnt loctite them as id just fitted them and wanted to loctite them later with an overnight setting period. so all should be good now ive loctited them in and left it, once my t bone bumpers arrive that should stop the rear end knocks on the motor.

Do people rate the t bone stuff? getting the front and rear bumpers with wheelie bar attachment (stop it from flipping back onto its roof lol at 40mph)

Hope i can start to enjoy it a bit more, thanks for the help people.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:43 PM
nitro-rob

The t-bone stuff is the most popular in here.  It will make a big difference, I don't know how I would drive on asphalt without one.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:32 AM
namewasdallas

I did some messing around with my truck last night, I finally got my new Savox Ultra speed servo think its .07sec / 111.oz  I want to pick up some new springs for this truck because that's whats going to make the biggest difference in handling along with matching shock fluid.

Can someone tell me if the truck came with different shock pistons or which pistions come stock in the truck? I run 3 hole pistions in my losi with 27w shock oil and its a heavy ass truck and goes amazing with it.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:48 PM
nitro-rob

I don't know what is in the truck or remember what came with it but thought there were two other sets of pistons provided.

I'm running the 4-pole 4600 these days and temps are low with 88/19 gearing.  From what I wrote down this summer it could handle 83/21 without any real heat issues in the hottest conditions.  

I was thinking of the vektor 4800 motor....

I assume its a similar concept of the castle 3800 versus vektor 4000.  From what I read by a castle post in another forum, the difference in these motors is that they used longer, less expensive magnets in the vektor.  The 4000 is 3mm longer than the 3800.  The results for the savage XS show currents of about 150 and 110A for the vektor and castle motors, respectively, upon take off.  The reported vektor motor temps seem a lot higher than I've been getting with my castle motor.  I assume the extra current draw is responsible for this.

....do you think this is the same for the 4800/4600?  I've heard the same of the torx 2200 versus alphastar 2350.  This came to mind because I am running very close to the stock ratio at 88/19 and know it was easy to push the gearing up on it.  Have people geared their vektor 4800s up from stock and run on 3s? 
Old 12-02-2011, 10:05 PM
wanna_be_racer

I know the guys at the lhs run them on 3s with 87/20 gearing and are pushing 170+ temps after a 3500mah 70c Venom.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:13 AM
nitro-rob

Thats hot,
Made a video yesterday, I also got the firestorm out but had problems, that video is coming...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN_0eXav8ms&feature=player_embedded#!
Old 12-03-2011, 10:09 AM
wanna_be_racer

My 5700 was pushing 170's as well just on 2s and stock gearing after a 7 minute main at the lhs track. And that's a tiny track. I get the impression that the rebadged HPI motors aren't all theyre cracked up to be.

Lol, nice vid. 51 into a guard rail and that's all it did? Not bad at all.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:35 AM
nitro-rob

I think the new vektor motors are imitations that aren't as good.  I think the performance is fine its just that they are less efficient which produces more heat.

I don't know if they did the same thing to the original 5700.  Those motors were just hot because they were higher kv.  I believe they have a new 5900 vektor out which follows the slightly higher kv trend of their newer motors.

I checked the savage XS over well and the only other thing that happened in the crash was the ESC came loose (using the good novak tape!). 
Old 12-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Peloche

Hi Rob,

Why don't you install Vorza ESC tray, i did install it on Savage Flux HP (advice from Savagejunky) and ESC doesn't move anymore.

http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=103676

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

I checked the savage XS over well and the only other thing that happened in the crash was the ESC came loose (using the good novak tape!).
Old 12-03-2011, 10:10 PM
nitro-rob

Would that fit in the XS?

I need to get another 1/10 ESC.  I plan on taking my blitz to a track and it doesn't have an ESC.   Here is my plan....

I bought a Flux Blur ESC tonight for 110 shipped off of ebay.  I am going to buy a savage flux 2350, take the Q-base ESC (its a rebadged mamba max pro) out for blitz, put the blur ESC in it and drive the flux as is or decide to upgrade (or take the torx 2200 motor from my truggy)

I have a nitro savage XL that is done up quite nicely and eventually its mods will make it over to the flux via swapping.

I think this is the best way to maximize my dollar and plan ahead since I am looking to get the MMpro ESC soon and a full scale savage flux eventually (and I keep my nitro savage).

The blur ESC was the same price I could get a mamba max pro for.  I couldn't resist buying it because the 2350 ESC swap was in my mind.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Peloche

Hi Rob,

Congrats for your Blur, you've got it cheap.

When you receive it you can check onto XS as the tray is just a big bigger:

Santa is going to be very loaded with yours but take care Flux HP box is big, check with your chimney dimensions ...
Old 12-04-2011, 11:26 AM
nitro-rob

I am going to wait a bit to buy the 2350.  I don't think before christmas is good and I am hoping for a bigger than normal coupon from Tower to come out. They did so last year and I picked up a baja for a really low price.  Sales are slow in jan and feb. 

I am not in a hurry.  As it stands it would cost me about $570 shipped with duty etc... which overall would save me about $120 over buying everything separately.  If I am patient I think another $50 or so dollars could be in there to save.

HPI did a good thing offering a version of the flux hp with the same chassis and cheaper electronics.  Perfect for what I need and the fact that the QBase isn't a throw away like I usually treat stock ESCs is a great bonus.  I got $115 for my savage XS ESC and motor which is pretty good if you ask me.  It paid for my blur.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:29 AM
nitro-rob

Its raining today.  There are going to be fewer good days from herein.  I will likely park the storm for the winter soon and drive the savage XS mostly.  Last year the cold asphalt was too slippery for the 2wd.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:29 AM
namewasdallas

I tore down the tranny on my Firestorm after that bearing let go on the titanium top shaft, replaced all bearings. Another thing everyone should check I had a bad issue with, I pulled apart my diff to change out the grease and the shims that hold the spider gears in where the spring is they both were destroyed I don't know how but they were toasted, Luckily the guy i bought the ESE Pro tranny setup sent me a diff kit with all new shims and such.

Also I figured out why my truck kept pushing in the turns super bad, TO MUCH DIFF GREASE. I added only a little this time so the diff doesnt have as much of a locked feel so the inner wheel can spin slower in the turns compaired to the outside wheel.

The Savox digital speed servo I got is also a nice touch as the stock one is junk and should be replaced ASAP. This truck is dialed in now and feels like its on rails. Only thing I'm going to play with his shock weight to find the right dampening.

were suppose to get snow this week so I think im finally done running my truck for the winter. I hope some indoor tracks will get into the stadium trucks again with the new Losi 22t coming out. I think im going to pick that 22t up. aluminum chassis, hard anodized aluminum shocks, mid or rear motor configuration its going to be the best stadium truck ever made in my eyes.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:01 AM
nitro-rob

I'm going to stop running the FS, get it ready for next year and store it soon. Its been pretty cold and I will focus on my savage xs for a while. I don't like getting salt on my nice truck (the only way I baby it).
The dirt hawg tires are great. It was below freezing last night and the tires gripped perfectly I barely spun a tire. The tires are still soft and smushy in the cold. Even the dirtworks didn't give me that much grip. They are still new, though...
I also had a problem doing speed runs the other day with the truck 'stalling'. It would have no power under hard throttle then would burst forward. I read that is characteristic of a bad power connection and checked thing over and it was fine. It performed well last night so I guess it was a fluke.

Here is a battery storage reminder from Thunder Power I thought I would remind people about.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83878.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1697092  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 PM
mercerbeef

NItro-rob time to bust out the ski's and paddle tires, prep for snow. Let's see some top speed snow runs.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:25 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need to catch up on a few posts....
Old 12-12-2011, 04:41 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, All caught up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.