Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Old 01-13-2012, 06:04 AM
XxINLINExX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

I keep forgetting to upload the pictures =\

Just received the Turnbuckles yesterday and I replaced the one that was bent. The others seemed to be undamaged but i'll find out soon as I get it running again.

Concerning the Turnbuckles, is there any specific way or any tricks you guys know so these are aligned properly and in the same position as the ones already installed and/or how to properly align the two front tires?

Don't want there to be too much of  a camber difference between the two front wheels, Feel this may cause some veering problems down a straight away.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:21 PM
mercerbeef

RPM makes a cheap camber gauge. so does AE, but theres cost a bit more. or was it the other way around lol. check you lhs, they should have it.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:27 PM
nitro-rob

Inline, the manual gives dimensions for the basic settings.  Just make them the appropriate length and you are good to go for a start.

My tekno conversion kit for the D8 came in today.  Its going to be a fun night.  I should have everything for it.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:31 PM
XxINLINExX

Nitro which D8, the "T" or the "S"?

Can't wait to see it after the build
Old 01-13-2012, 08:25 PM
nitro-rob

Its the D8 kit.  Its almost done I just need to put the pinion on and tie down the electronics.  I elected not to run mechanical brakes but may try so in the future for the heck of it.

Unfortunately the motor and ESC are too far apart.  Its a QBase and the motor leads go right onto the ESC and not off of wires like the mamba max pro.  I think I will swap the ESC with the mmax pro in my savage XS since the motor wires on the SCT 3800 motor are too long anyways.  It looks like the swap will be ideal for both trucks.

I'll post pictures when its done.  I need to buy a body and underprotection for it yet.  The nitro bodies are cut too much and don't look right.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:42 AM
AIRSAVAGE

Well, it looks like I need a new esc. I see that some of you guys use the Mamba Max Pro. Is it worth the money? Is there another esc that you would suggest?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:25 AM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: AIRSAVAGE

Well, it looks like I need a new esc. I see that some of you guys use the Mamba Max Pro. Is it worth the money? Is there another esc that you would suggest?
The mamba max pro is overkill but a great ESC. Its what I would recommend. You could get a SV2 and it should be fine.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32079.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1713887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69555.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	1713888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94487.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1713889  
Old 01-14-2012, 12:49 PM
AIRSAVAGE

OK. Would the Mamba Max Pro give me any change in performance with my current battery and motor set up? I'm assuming it would just give me more potiential as far as being able to upgrade the motor and battery.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:48 PM
nitro-rob

It likely wouldn't unless you were running a really weak setup.  If it makes a difference it would be under extreme loads since it can handle these situations better
Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 AM
namewasdallas

I would recommend everyone check your rear hubs/bearings. I was messing around with my old stock ones and put them back on with the bearings and the rear axels had so much play in them it was unreal. So I slapped back on my Rpm rear hubs which are so much better they feature a larger bearing to help support the rear axel and there was no play so whatever and these are 6-7 months old. The stock one's only lasted 2 months before i upgraded.

I also run the Mamba Max Pro esc. it works great and it is still a small esc so it isnt going to make the truck to heavy. The Fan's in them are junk and usally die quick at least on the older models. Upside to the MMP is there's no motor limit, Can run 4 pole/2 pole motor's, Can run Sensored or Sensorless.

I run the MMP with a Castle 3800kv. Makes the truck extremly fast and have more torque then you know what do with wheelies on command. I've had my truck going 70mph with a 3s lipo with this setup. Just had to make some gearing changes.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:39 PM
nitro-rob

I agree, the mmax pro and SCT 3800 is a great combination for this truck.  Extreme overkill and if you gear it down to control it there will be no heat.  The next best castle option is the 1406-4600. 

I took my buggy out for the first time.  It is pretty cold but I managed to still enjoy it.  It looks like it goes about 40 and no more and it has typical overkill brushless power.  The motor was extremely tight at first and it started to loosen but It was only run for ten minutes or so and its still a little got a little more to go.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:35 AM
XxINLINExX

Man feels like I havent been on here in forever (just a couple days lol )

Nitro the D8 looks nice man, great job on it.

Well alot has taken place these last few days with my eFirestorm

Went through three Turnbuckles [:@] but I guess thats what I get for bashing it lol

I decided to bring it to work today just for some fun before work and during my lunch break. Was driving nice this morning, I wasn't gunning her full power just maybe 1/2 throttle and driving around some safety cones i set up. I let the battery cool down then plugged it into the charger while I was slaving for the man. Lunch time came around, I turned on the Radio, Plugged in the battery, set her down, pulled the trigger and.......Nothing?! [&:]

Thought maybe the battery wasnt plugged in correctly so i checked that and it was fine, Radio batteries had charge, Wheels would turn left and right but no throttle response. Lights on ESC are working and respond to the radio So it couldn't be that until i saw this......

Could that be my problem?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Trek1771

Hey Xx one way to check to see if that is the issue, is unplug your steering servo from the receiver and plug your ESC into the steering port on the receiver. Then see if the steering knob on the transmitter will work the throttle. If that works, then you know the ESC is good and the problem is in the receiver. if it doesnt work, then it is probably the ESC. Good Luck
Old 01-20-2012, 11:54 AM
XxINLINExX

Hey Trek!

Thank You, Just did exactly what you told me to and no response, I dont even hear the series of beeps anymore when I plug in the pack. Guess i'll be taking a trip to my LHS tomorrow and see what they have available for me.

Any recommendations for an ESC? I doubt my LHS will carry the stock HPI part.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Trek1771

If they do not have the stock HPI part and you dont want to order it and wait, I would see if they have the Traxxas ESC used on the Stampede VXL. The Traxxas is Waterproof. The only issue would be that you would have to have theconnectorson the Traxxas ESC switched to Deans plugs or have the connectors on the car and your batteriesswitched to Traxxas plugs. I would switch the car and the batteries to traxxas plugs, because it opens up the availablity of alot more options in batteries. Iswitched My HPIESC to a Traxxas batteryplug and it is great!

Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 PM
XxINLINExX

Was not aware that was possbile. I'll def look into that tomorrow if they do not carry the HPI part.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:15 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Trek1771

If they do not have the stock HPI part and you dont want to order it and wait, I would see if they have the Traxxas ESC used on the Stampede VXL. The Traxxas is Waterproof. The only issue would be that you would have to have the connectors on the Traxxas ESC switched to Deans plugs or have the connectors on the car and your batteries switched to Traxxas plugs. I would switch the car and the batteries to traxxas plugs, because it opens up the availablity of alot more options in batteries. I switched My HPI ESC to a Traxxas battery plug and it is great!

I would stay away from the traxxas ESC not very tuneable and i've heard tooo many stories of people blowing them...

I would go for a castle sidewinder V2 or the MMP, the V2 is what you currently have...

Did you call HPI about this issue they may replace it under warrenty they're pretty good about that...

the lug
Old 01-20-2012, 01:22 PM
XxINLINExX

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

Did you call HPI about this issue they may replace it under warrenty they're pretty good about that...

the lug
I actually called them right before i read your post. They told me to ship it to them along with a letter stating whats wrong with the item. Guy i spoke to over the phone just said do that and we'll honor the warranty behind our product.

Luckily I work for a shipping comapny so it's already packed and ready to be sent out. This will save me some $$$ for now until i decide to upgrade anything.

A Big thank you to everyone of you. Hope to return the favor somehow if any of you should have any issues some day.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:25 PM
nitro-rob

Good job inline - carnage means you've been having fun.  The traxxas ESCs have a rev limit and struggle with 4-pole motors since they are effectively twice the KV to the speed controller.  It was a great ESC a few years ago but its falling behind the newer stuff thats out there in my opinion.

I recommend the mamba max pro, its a sweet ESC.  I've had a few for a couple years now and they've been perfect.  The fan barely needs to go on under the hottest conditions.  Analternative would be the SV2/SCT setup and get the 3800 kv motor (look up a few posts).  The price is just over 100 and the setup is for heavier short course trucks so it won't work very hard at all with the firestorm.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:46 PM
XxINLINExX

LOL Carnage does = fun but fun is also at the expense of one's pocket

My Firestorm already came with a Flux Vektor 4800Kv so doubt i'll be purchasing another one soon unless something unfortunate should happen to it . I will be looking into another  ESC when I can but for now warranty replacement FTW!!

I have a video i will try and upload tonight of when it got run over. You don't actually see what happens because the camera was facing the other direction but you do hear a loud BANG! and some crushing taking place
Old 01-20-2012, 10:05 PM
namewasdallas

Yo NitroROb i

I just got my blitz ese titanium turnbuckles and ball cups and the guy sent me blitz skid plate or bumper or something idk why but he did but anyways I got a question.

I've never put turnbuckles together I thought each side spins opposite of each other to shorten the turnbuckle but when I do that it loosens one side so I can't make it shorter.

It's like when there on the truck and I go to set the camber no matter which way I turn it they just dont shorten it will actually come out of the ball cup on one side.. What am I doing wrong.

I also weighted the Titanium Turnbuckles they weight 3g with ball cups. Stock weighed 5.7g and that was on the Shortest one. So I highly recommend this upgrade as you'll save over 1oz of weight from doing all the turn buckles on the truck which 1oz doesnt seem like alot but on something that's 5lbs its like taking 200 pounds off a real car
Old 01-20-2012, 10:43 PM
nitro-rob

I have the lunsford set and like them very much.  I would guess they are incorrectly threaded.  Inspect them, it should be obvious.  The only way to adjust them is to take the cup off which is a bummer.  Its a pain but workable and not performance dehancing.  Call them and see if they just sent out a bad set.  Its cold and there is four inches of snow everywhere.  No driving for me for a while.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:06 AM
EnglishSamuraii

hi guys,

im thinking of upgrading to brushless and i was just wondering which one of these 'combos' i should get?

many thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 09:22 AM
namewasdallas

So you can only adjust them while off the truck? Because that would make sense with these, But the orginal ones you can adjust while on the truck and the same with my Losi SCTE, At the same time it doesnt make sense to have to take them all off the truck to adjust them tho. 

Upside is there super light and sweet looking

Does anyone in here have a blitz 's that need's the bumper skid guard or something cause it came with it randomly and I have no blitz
Old 01-21-2012, 09:46 AM
nitro-rob

I meant that in your case you obviously have to adjust them when removed.  Its definitely not normal to have to take the ends off to adjust.  

Samurai - the best combo there in my opinion is the SV2-4600.  I would also look at the SCT3800 as well.  I don't know anything about the exceed stuff and I am very biased towards Castle and Tekin as the main aftermarket brands that are worth buying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.