Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Old 02-15-2012, 04:39 PM
OkieTrucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Not yet. I got 6 6 cell nimh 3000 mah. I don't want to invest in lipos until I know I am gonna stay with it. I found some 5000 mah 2s at HK for $21 each that may go ahead and order.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:31 AM
OkieTrucker

Finally got it out and ran it today. WOW! I only ran with 6 cell 3000mah but it's got more power, speed and control than anything I have ever had before. Can't wait to get some lipos in this thing. The nimh got really hot and only lasted about 4 or 5 minutes but man was it fun! The only thing I am going to have trouble getting used to is the delay in the sc I am sure it's normal and I will get it. Looking forward to getting this thing on the track.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:32 PM
EnglishSamuraii

My firestorm has good acceleration with the 4600kv motor, but it is limited at the top end. What gearing would you guys recommend to give it more speed, but not so its running mega hot? Also what type of pinion gear would I need as Ive seen different type like DP etc? 
Any help would be appreciated
Old 02-16-2012, 01:08 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: OkieTrucker

Finally got it out and ran it today. WOW! I only ran with 6 cell 3000mah but it's got more power, speed and control than anything I have ever had before. Can't wait to get some lipos in this thing. The nimh got really hot and only lasted about 4 or 5 minutes but man was it fun! The only thing I am going to have trouble getting used to is the delay in the sc I am sure it's normal and I will get it. Looking forward to getting this thing on the track.
Yeah a 5000mah lipo will blow you away..lol
Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: EnglishSamuraii

My firestorm has good acceleration with the 4600kv motor, but it is limited at the top end. What gearing would you guys recommend to give it more speed, but not so its running mega hot? Also what type of pinion gear would I need as Ive seen different type like DP etc?
Any help would be appreciated
The stock pinion is good for off-road and you can go up to a 21t for a mix of on road and off but you need to check temps often with a temp gauge. Could go a 24t for just doing a speed run on pavement
Old 02-16-2012, 01:15 PM
redfisher1974

the pitch is 48
Old 02-16-2012, 01:29 PM
EnglishSamuraii

So is it only changing the pinion that effects speed?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 PM
redfisher1974

you could get a 3s lipo
Old 02-17-2012, 11:46 AM
XxINLINExX

wow i havent been on here in a while since i sent my ESC to HPI to get replaced.

It finally came in on Wed. they sent a brand new ESC which was installed that same night. Finally happy i can run my truck again.

Only problem i'm having with the new ESC is setting it up. I follow the instructions in the manual and the ESC just stays with green LED on constantly [&:]. Going to have to read through it again for the 20th time and see whats going on.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:28 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: XxINLINExX

wow i havent been on here in a while since i sent my ESC to HPI to get replaced.

It finally came in on Wed. they sent a brand new ESC which was installed that same night. Finally happy i can run my truck again.

Only problem i'm having with the new ESC is setting it up. I follow the instructions in the manual and the ESC just stays with green LED on constantly [&:]. Going to have to read through it again for the 20th time and see whats going on.
What esc is it?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:31 AM
EnglishSamuraii

Hello,

I  have upgraded the stock motor and esc to a Castle Creations SV2 Sidewinder and 4600kv motor combo. I also have been running two LiPos to give the system sufficient power. It was all working well until friday afternoon when I first used a ZIPPY Flightmax 2s 35c lipo, it worked well for around 20mins, but then the motor came lose and the pinion gear moved and was no longer interlocked with the spur gear. I then set the gearing right, and tightened the motor screws, it lasted for around 2 mins and then the same happened again. I re-did this 2- 3 times. I then went to use it today, and the pinion gear came off, and then the motor moved again, resulting in a stripped spur gear. I suspect that the motor has moved which has led to the damage to the spur gear. Before I order a new spur gear, are you able to offer any advice as to how I can avoid this in future as I dont want to wreck a new spur gear. Could it be that the extra power is causing the motor to move? 

Many thanks  
Old 02-19-2012, 08:51 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: EnglishSamuraii

Hello,

I have upgraded the stock motor and esc to a Castle Creations SV2 Sidewinder and 4600kv motor combo. I also have been running two LiPos to give the system sufficient power. It was all working well until friday afternoon when I first used a ZIPPY Flightmax 2s 35c lipo, it worked well for around 20mins, but then the motor came lose and the pinion gear moved and was no longer interlocked with the spur gear. I then set the gearing right, and tightened the motor screws, it lasted for around 2 mins and then the same happened again. I re-did this 2- 3 times. I then went to use it today, and the pinion gear came off, and then the motor moved again, resulting in a stripped spur gear. I suspect that the motor has moved which has led to the damage to the spur gear. Before I order a new spur gear, are you able to offer any advice as to how I can avoid this in future as I dont want to wreck a new spur gear. Could it be that the extra power is causing the motor to move?

Many thanks
Try using blue loctite on the bolts...Blue not the red loctite.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:13 AM
nitro-rob

Samurai, the four-pole 1406 will run cooler.  I have had up to a 88/21 gearing on mine on a hot summer day with temps not close enough to worry about.  The 19 is what I run for all-around driving on 3s and heat has never been even close to a problem and the truck gets into the low 50's.

I've parked the storm until spring.  Its too cold for grip with the 2wd.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:22 AM
XxINLINExX

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

What esc is it?
It is the flux Vapor ESC from HPI/Castle

I guess i was in such a hurry to try and get it working so i can drive that i was doing it wrong. Soon as i sat down calmly and went step by step i got it programmed, no problem

Old 02-21-2012, 06:38 AM
XxINLINExX

So yesterday i got together with some friends to drive the R/c's around with some friends ( yes as you can already guess something was damaged....AGAIN!) We were having fun drinking a couple beers and driving the r/c cars.  My buddies Slash 4x4 could not keep up with me in a straight line but when it came down to turning the Firestorm light front end would make these really wide turns causing the slash to win in an up and back race. Were thinking of putting some stick on tire weights on the front of the Firestorm to see of that will improve the handling.

My buddies Slash ran low on battery and mine was still going strong. So i handed over the Control so he can have his first experience driving it. Needless to say he was impressed. As he was taking it down the street for a high speed run the Firestorms lightweight body and lack of steering control led it right into the rear tire of a parked pick-up truck at full speed....

[:@][&:][]

I'm hoping the two LHS that i have near by have these pieces in stock

Old 02-21-2012, 06:41 AM
nitro-rob

Ouch.  It looks worse than it is, you should be going again for about 20 bucks.  Sounds like it was worthwhile.  Has your servo saver gone loose causing the wide steering?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 AM
XxINLINExX

We got a good laugh out of it lol so yea it was

I'm not quite sure if the servo saver has gone loose, not even to mention i have no idea what the servo saver is haha

I did though take the servo out before the incident, turn on the receiver and set the trim to center then reinstall it but i think it was my doing not centering the rest of the steering arms correctly. I should maybe have the LHS take a look at it so they can either do it or show me how.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:35 PM
redfisher1974

Fixing is part of the game for sure...
Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 PM
XxINLINExX

So i was brain storming with my buddy and were thinking of adding some stick on wheel weights to the front of the chassis. You guys think this will help the front wheels stick more to the ground so i can have tighter turns?
Old 02-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Willystylz

Adding some weight to the front will help add a little more steering. You could also lower the front ride height. Lighter springs and shock oil up front will all help also.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:12 PM
XxINLINExX

we lowered the front right before the incident took place but lighter springs?
Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 PM
redfisher1974

Put Pro-Line Dirtwork tires on all for corners and it will steer much better...True story.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:29 AM
Willystylz

we lowered the front right before the incident took place but lighter springs?
On a track yes, as you slow down into a corner, with lighter springs up front more weight will transfer to the front giving more steering. For bashing and high speed runs it'll be less effective lol but the biggest difference like Red suggests is new tires......or a whackload of weight up front.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM
redfisher1974

Hello Willy
Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 PM
nitro-rob

Hey Willy, do you still have your storm?  I've got my D8 tecko converted and am itching to get it on a track this summer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.