Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:00 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

They look neat.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:40 PM
nitro-rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try that viper combo over a hobby wing.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:30 PM
bambambndt

Got a question for you guys who are using either STRC or RPM parts, specifically the steering blocks and hub carriers.  From the posts I read, some are using STRC and some RPM.  Trying to find any pro's or con's or just personal preference.  I know some of you guys started out with STRC and then switched to RPM, but not quite sure why.  All comments are appreciated.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:05 PM
nitro-rob

I switched as much as my STRC to RPM as possible.   Aluminum is heavy and I found the STRC stuff to be sloppy and the RPM stuff was tighter.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:33 PM
bambambndt

Thanks again. Any input on the front and rear shock towers (STRC). I think, on your build, you had a Blitz tower for the rear and the carbon fiber on the front. I was debating the STRC shock towers, thought they would be stiffer thank stock and firm things up a bit.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:09 PM
nitro-rob

I think you would just be making the truck heavier.  Nobody has problems with the shock towers and most don't replace them.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:16 AM
redfisher1974

Looks like RPM's stuff works best.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:14 PM
bambambndt

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was asking because I was making a little wish list on tower and amain for me and my son. Sticking with stock for now, welluntil we can drive better and not break stuff so often.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:16 PM
nitro-rob

RPM is the way to go.  Put that stuff everywhere they make it and you will be fine.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:26 PM
bambambndt

I know I have been asking lots of questions, that will taper off...I promise...lol. One more before then. So, tonight I was goofing around and jumping the storm. I rolled it and the double sided tape holding the esc came loose. The wire you see below (going to the receiver) broke. Does anyone have any idea on how to remove the board from the enclosure? I was hoping to repair the damage in lieu of replacing the esc. I am thinking, now that I removed part of the enclosure, hpi may not honor any type of warranty or perform an repair work for me. Any thoughts on how to remove? As always, thanks again.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:39 PM
wanna_be_racer

Heyya Mates.

Long time no see. I've finally come outta hibernation and dug up the RC stuffs. Picking up where I left off on my Monster Storm project.
Finally got the Losi's traded. So those are off my work bench and I can quit thinking about converting them to electric. So all tunnels lead to my Storm.

What's new and cool in the Storm world?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:24 PM
bambambndt

Couldnt seem to get my picture to upload.

ORIGINAL: bambambndt

I know I have been asking lots of questions, that will taper off...I promise...lol. One more before then. So, tonight I was goofing around and jumping the storm. I rolled it and the double sided tape holding the esc came loose. The wire you see below (going to the receiver) broke. Does anyone have any idea on how to remove the board from the enclosure? I was hoping to repair the damage in lieu of replacing the esc. I am thinking, now that I removed part of the enclosure, hpi may not honor any type of warranty or perform an repair work for me. Any thoughts on how to remove? As always, thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33952.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1738041  
Old 03-12-2012, 03:03 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: wanna_be_racer

Heyya Mates.

Long time no see. I've finally come outta hibernation and dug up the RC stuffs. Picking up where I left off on my Monster Storm project.
Finally got the Losi's traded. So those are off my work bench and I can quit thinking about converting them to electric. So all tunnels lead to my Storm.

What's new and cool in the Storm world?
Not much dude...
Old 03-12-2012, 03:04 PM
redfisher1974

[img][/img]
slap it back together and send it in...
Old 03-12-2012, 03:10 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

[img][/img]
i would call them and see what they say before sending it in, i believe a refurbished SW is $35 if not under warenty, though they'll take it in pretty much any condition so if they say you'll need to pay, i'll pull off the sticker and you should see some tabs that hold the case together, you can pop these apart and should be able to open them up, then use a very fine tipped soldering pen and a steady hand...

the lug
Old 03-12-2012, 03:35 PM
bambambndt

Thanks Red and Lug. I called HPI today, they wanted a picture. So, I emailed it while on the phone so the rep could look at it with me. Was told it would not be covered under warranty because it's considered a wear and tear issue. I guess really cant complain with that, I knew the servo tape needed replacing because the esc was always shifting and bouncing around. Im guessing during the crash the esc went flying all over. He offered a new replacement for $49, went ahead and purchased it....free shipping...lol. He said I could keep the old esc. Figured I will mess around with it and hopefully repair it and have a spare. I guess 49 isn't horrible, 89 @ tower right now, but out of stock.

Lug; Don't think my hand is that steady. To have better access, I actually need to remove the ESC from the enclosure. I got the top off, but can't seem to get the actual esc out of the enclosure. Thinking it's probably stuck in with some adhesive. If I could get tothe under side of the ESC, I think I would have better luck repairing.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:08 PM
nitro-rob

You should be able to desolder the wires off the board and reuse your old ESC.  Its good they didn't ask for the other one back.  That makes it a good deal. Otherwise its always worthwhile to do the exchange with Castle since you get a castle and not a rebadged product back and the exchange is cheaper.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:23 PM
rclugnut10

okay i believe the sw's cases should snap apart, but i could be mistaken i know the MMP (micro) and MMP (monster) both do and i thought i'd pulled apart an sw geuss not...

well best of luck to you

the lug
Old 03-12-2012, 04:48 PM
bambambndt

I didn't realize I could go directly to Castle. I knew it was a Castle Motor/ESC, but thought I had to go directly to HPI since it was branded and came with my storm. Oh well, live and learn. On a positive note, it will be here by Thursday.
ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

You should be able to desolder the wires off the board and reuse your old ESC. Its good they didn't ask for the other one back. That makes it a good deal. Otherwise its always worthwhile to do the exchange with Castle since you get a castle and not a rebadged product back and the exchange is cheaper.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:17 PM
nitro-rob

Thanks for the weather update. Its good I changed out the road rage for dirt works tonight then.  88/19 gears.  It wasn't hot enough for the road rage.  The first drives were unimpressive but I think that was mostly tires.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:36 PM
mercerbeef

Heads up guys! I'm gonna be posting my firestorm for sale in a day or two. Due to school, I'm running short on funds and have sold most of my RC's. So I'm giving you guys the first shot at it.

its got a castle SV2 and 4700 motor
some Hotracing aluminum
STRC aluminum
HPI aluminum shocks
Checkpoint 5400 lipo
some left over ESE parts dyed orange
and two (2) sets of extra race tires
RPM arms and hubs (fr/r)
and I may have an rtr rx/tx to throw in.
Theres lots of extra parts. I'm asking $300 PM me if your interested and well work out the shipping.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95440.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1740329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83872.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1740330  
Old 03-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Paron34

Holy **** this Viper 3900khv is fast on 3s I highly recommend this over any other combo below 200 dollars. Ive got a amazing video I need post on You tube of the Firestorm "3's" vs Losi Mini 8ight "3s" vs Caster FT8 Pro "6s" vs Baja 5b Turned pipe Oneal's Bro 8.5 hp ... lol all speed runs my sons mini 8ight always wins on take off and then Firestorm thermals was a ton of fun gotta show you guys. BTW the firestorm might have won if didn't wanna take off like a airplane "baja" wins.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Paron34

ORIGINAL: XxINLINExX

So yesterday i got together with some friends to drive the R/c's around with some friends ( yes as you can already guess something was damaged....AGAIN!) We were having fun drinking a couple beers and driving the r/c cars. My buddies Slash 4x4 could not keep up with me in a straight line but when it came down to turning the Firestorm light front end would make these really wide turns causing the slash to win in an up and back race. Were thinking of putting some stick on tire weights on the front of the Firestorm to see of that will improve the handling.

My buddies Slash ran low on battery and mine was still going strong. So i handed over the Control so he can have his first experience driving it. Needless to say he was impressed. As he was taking it down the street for a high speed run the Firestorms lightweight body and lack of steering control led it right into the rear tire of a parked pick-up truck at full speed....

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

[:@][&:][]

I'm hoping the two LHS that i have near by have these pieces in stock

LOL this same exact thing happened to my son yesterday while driving my Firestorm. What upgrade parts for the chassis can I buy to make this stronger ?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:58 PM
nitro-rob

I've broken a few bulkheads.  Integy makes an aluminum one but that sounds heavy and will likely bend under the weight of gravity like all of their other stuff.

I've been driving pretty regularly lately.  The only problems have been blowing a bead each time so far.  I'm running dirt works, 88/19 and running 3s and temps have been about 120 on 80 degree days.  I think I am going to phase out 2.2 inch wheels and stick with 2.8's from now on.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Paron34

Any good top chassis braces I can buy out their Nitro ? this is my first bulk head brace and top chassis brace brake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.