Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:49 PM
jaydub5150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Enzyme80.  Thank you very much for all the information.  I'm going to go today to see about getting some new batteries.  Problem is I live in Japan and I only know of a couple of places to go so hopefully I can get lucky and score some batteries and a charger.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:14 AM
DarksideVR

I was going to post you some links but the site was down... anyway check out Hobbyking....they have a good inexpensive charger Turnigy Accucel 6 and also Zippy packs are popular in these trucks and inexpensive as well they are a 2s 4000mah 25c hard case. Good luck!

and to whoever asked stock setups do pull wheelies with a lipo anyway
Old 05-27-2012, 12:55 AM
Morvryn

Hi, I'm brand new to this forum and I have a few question about the firestrom flux I got 2 weeks ago. I'll be grateful if you can take the time to read and answer them.

First of all, the firestorm I bought isn't the last version of it, it is not waterproof and have a flux motiv esc (by CC) and a warp 5700kv motor. Apart from this it is the same as the recent one and it is stock. I'm mostly bashing with it, trying to do some proper jumps and trajectories though.
I have used 10 lipos (2S) so far one it and I still have some trouble to handle it correctly when I accelerate. What esc's settings do you use (punch control, throttle curve...) ?
I find that the front drivetrain is a bit light to fullly grip the ground. It is hard to do a nice and smooth corner, the car is very unstable, even at top speed. what do you suggest to improve the cornering ?
Finally, I was wondering how to cool down the motor because it overheat very fast in my opinion. I reach 185°F (85°C) within 10 minutes of driving. I glued a radiator to the motor yesterday but I doubt it will change a lot.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

EDIT:

Afetr setting the punch control on 80%, flat throttle curve, I'm finally managing to handle it correctly.
The cornering is still a little bit trash though, particullary when accelerating or braking but I guess I have to get along with that and improve my handling skills.
The radiator i fixed on the motor jumped off after a nose up landing, I'll buy a wider one with more gluable surface.
I'm wondering what options should I get next to improve the handling of the car, any suggestions ?
Old 05-27-2012, 05:15 PM
namewasdallas

Hey guys it's been all winter sense I was on here.

I finally figured out why my Light weight Aluminum slipper clutch setup wasn't holding the power of the CC 3800kv motor, it came to be the Aluminum Disc's themselves they had slipped so many times from running it loose on the dirt track and the street doing speed runs and wore the aluminum down like on a Car's disc brake, I could take my finger nail and feel a rib at the outter part of the disc. I think that it being worn down and heated up super hot from trying to run it slipping that It became warped as well because it melted the Spur gear on day and it was causing the slipper pad's to not sit flush on the disc and couldnt hold the power. I had extra light weight slipper disc's I had ordered last year and I poped them in with some what new slipper pads and adjusted it and guess what it hold's and let's me lock both tire's up.

Anyways today I was doing some speed run's and I easily was going over 60 think I came close to 70mph one time, was having a hard time keeping the front end down on this road it was bumpy and had lots of little pebbles, A couple time's I flipped it and slide it on its lid for about 40-50ft on the road.. I need to go larger on my pinion tho to like a 31.

If anyone want's a fast setup here's what I run for speed run's.

-Mamba Max Pro ESC/ Castle 3800kv

-3 Cell Lipo 25c ( Need 40c or higher I puff these lipo's and they get super hot but only ones I have in 3s)

- 26T Pinion

-77T Spur

-Light Weight Slipper setup

- 5000ct Diff fluid

- Team Assoicated Blue Front Springs & Green Rear

- Blitz Ese Titanium Turn Buckles

-5 degree steering block

- Savox Servo

If anyone Try's that setup Make sure you lock the slipper up so you don't burn the disc's and make sure you have lots of room to do speed run's. You have to be easy going over half throttle or you'll lift the front end and flip because the truck with this setup will wheelie at any speed. Another thing is the front end likes to randomly lift and the car take off if you at 3/4th throttle and you punch it. If you go larger on the Pinion you'll go even faster but you may need to add some Car tire balancing weights on the servo or front end to keep it down I don't think it could go much faster without coming off the ground it get's real sketchy.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:20 PM
namewasdallas

To make it corner better, I would recommend changing the Rear Diff grease to 3000ct Losi Diff fluid, helps the wheel's spin at different speed's in the turns and not be so locked up like with the grease. This will help with making it so the truck doesnt push as much in the turns. Another thing to do that's cheap is replace the springs on the truck with Team Associated T4 Blue Front's and Green Rears. Change the shock fluid to 27.5wt And adjusting the camber links and shock locations will make a big difference. I recommend reading online about adjusting camber link's and mounting of the shock's because you want to do each thing one at a time and test it to see if it has a positive or negative effect then go from there untill you find what work's for you.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:17 AM
Morvryn

Thanks for the answer namewasdallas.The stock springs and shock oils are way too soft on the firestorm in my opinion. You suggest 27.5wt, do you have any idea what is the original oil weight in the stock shocks ?
I didn't changed the camber angle but I moved outwards the springs mounts, I red that is was better for jumping but maybe it affects the cornering of the car.
Another question, how did you fix the esc to the chassis ? The orginal double taped foam wasn't usefull anymore after a few poor landed jumps. I drilled four holes in the chassis to maintain the esc with nylon collar. Not sure it is the best solution.

Broke one of the plastic steering hub today, didn't like the soft kissing with tree apparently. It's the first thing I break, time to buy some custom parts with that. What proline tires should I get knowing that I only run dirt ?
http://prolineracing.com/tires/scrub...ck-rear-tires/
http://prolineracing.com/race/calibe...ck-rear-tires/
http://prolineracing.com/race/hole-s...ck-rear-tires/
http://prolineracing.com/all-terrain...d-truck-tires/

Here are some pictures of my car.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22003.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1766610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87636.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1766611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95215.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1766612  
Old 05-29-2012, 03:14 AM
jaydub5150

So after some checking and using some batteries a friend has I have come to the conclusion that I'm having problems with the truck itself. It's kind of hard to explain but I'm going to try anyways. Basically it seems like either it's getting interference with the ESC so the fail safe is cutting out or some other kind of issue. The truck will drive for about 30secs to a minute and then just stops working. I can pick it up and sometimes it feels like it's getting full throttle and will continue to stay at max throttle but as soon as I put it down it won't go. The steering seems to almost always work but sometimes it does stick when this is happening. If I pull the throttle in short spurts it will go and continue to drive usually but won't get up to full speed seeing as how I have to constantly tap the throttle for about a sec at a time. This is really frustrating and upsetting since I just bought the truck and got it a week ago and can't even drive it. Was wondering if anybody has ran into this problem or maybe know of somebody that has and can toss me some troubleshooting tips to try or just any help in general.

EDIT:

Ok so figured out that Ihad it in Lipo On mode changed that and it worked until I crashed it and now it seems like the brakes are stuck on and trying to reset the fail safe but doesn't seem to be what's causing this issue. FML
Old 05-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Enzyme80

do you have the castle link? If not, I would recommend getting it and you can program the esc right through the computer. This is really helpful and you can check out the break setting. Also, maybe try to resetting the radio to the receiver. To do that - with the truck off, hold the trigger all the way in and then turn on the car. It should be about four times and then light should start blinking red. Then hold full break and it should beep a few more times, then put it in the neutral position and it should beep a few more times. Once that is done, it should connect to the motor again and see if that helps.
If not, it is time to take apart the gearing and see if you messed something out in there. I hope that isn't the case but with a crash that can happen. Anyways, good luck with the problem and let us know any progress or setbacks.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:41 AM
Morvryn

First big purchase for the firstorm on towerhobbies, I hope this will help it to be more stable and predictable:
- Universal drive shaft set, I hope they'll last longer than the normal one given the price.
- RPM steering block.
-Integy alloy steering bell crank, there was a lot of play in the plastic one.
-Associated ft set of springs.
- New differential shafts.
- Proline velocity weels with holeshot and the edge tires.
- New body that will be metalic blue with white stripes.
- 3000 cst differential fluid, 35 wt shock fluid.
- Heat sink.
- Set of bearings.

I weighted the stock car and I got 3.6lbs (1,650kg) which I pretty good considering that the T4 is given at 3.8lbs, I wonder why everyone is telling that the firestorm is too heavy...

Old 06-01-2012, 02:31 PM
DarksideVR

Glad to see new people on this forum Welcome! glad you guys are getting some drive time...career changes and such are eating away at my rc time.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 AM
ElectricGuy007

I guess im the only E-firestorm owner on the planet that races mine on oval.[8D]

I put 50,000wt Losi diff oil in my differential. It takes longer for it to leak out, and I rebuild it once every year.

My current race setup is Green AE springs on the rear with gold AE springs on the front, I have never changed it it's hooked up!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Enzyme80

I'd race but the track is just too far away for me to get any real practice time in and my wife was not too pleased when I turned my back yard into a home made track (it took up the whole yard). How do you do with the e-firestorm and what trucks are you racing against?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:28 PM
nitro-rob

There isn't a lot of stadium truck racing going on any more let alone oval racing so you are lucky.  I use my storm for street and park bashing now and have no plans for it to do anything serious off road with it.  Some guy had one out on the track we go to the other day and it did pretty well considering it was an 8th scale track.  He was running a mamba max pro and castle 4-pole 5700 on 3s.  The truck did perfect flips off of the main straightaway jump. 

Morvyrn - buy two-sided tape.  Novak sells a good 3m tape (search novak mounting tape).

My RC driving time has increased this year because my kids are older and I found the right group of guys to hang out with.  We go friday afternoon and usually one other random day a week to a track for 3-4 hours at a time.  We all have losi and hot bodies buggies and truggies.  There are now a good number of tracks in the area and we are going to a new track (for us) on wednesday evening.  I will bring my camera to our next two outings and post.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 AM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: Enzyme80

I'd race but the track is just too far away for me to get any real practice time in and my wife was not too pleased when I turned my back yard into a home made track (it took up the whole yard). How do you do with the e-firestorm and what trucks are you racing against?
Bomber cars including buggies, T4's, B4's and several Losi's, It's just oval racing thou, nothing I take real serious.
It's just a bunch of grown men playing with toy cars. Usually im in the front of the pack usually in the B-main, and sometimes in the A-main.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Morvryn

You're so lucky to have good race tracks and race buddies around your area, here in France not many people play with rc's, it is most of the time considered as kid stuff. The nearest track I have is 10 miles away and it isn't an "official" track. The only real race track is 25 miles from where I live, way too far.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Cokeguy

Hey i m new to the forum, been into the hobby for a couple of years and the firestorm was the 2nd car i bought and love it!!

I lost interest in the car for a while because even tho the 5700 was fast it got boring after a while, so it sat on the shelf til i decided to throw a spare velenion system into it and ran a couple 3s lipos through it and the car became insane fun!!!

Nothing real for mods to it other than STRC front and rear hubs and a camber brace since its cartwheel machine on 3s and i m currently running a set of anaconda's for speed runs and sc tires for carpet racing...

here are a couple pics of my recently painted body, which the decals are from a monster edtion sc10 *slight monster fan, helps when you deliver and drink it daily*

and this is my carpet setup, i borrow my blitz wheels and tires

Old 06-23-2012, 04:38 PM
DarksideVR

Nice welcome aboard. I have had no time for the hobby lately....2 jobs are sucking up my time. Your truck looks sweet though!!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Cokeguy

Oh i hear ya on lack of time, i spent a bit of time on my her for the first time in a month just to paint a body.......

Thanks for the compliment i love my truck, its fun because with the anaconda's and 3s lipo's its a wheelie and speed machine.....

Old 06-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Morvryn

Pictures of my truck with the new parts and body installed.
I'll try it tomorrow for the first time on a real track.

I think the rear is a bit low with the green team associated springs.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90982.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1775690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62061.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1775691  
Old 06-29-2012, 11:53 PM
nitro-rob

Welcome coke guy.    Thanks for showing your rides.  I never get tired of seeing other configurations of a truck I own or am familiar with.

My friends and I now go to two different tracks on wednesday and friday every week from about 5-9pm.  We drive truggy and buggy.  Throw in the maintenance and repairs and there isn't time for any other RC stuff right now.  My house has been a construction zone for two months.  I did manage to finish a pretty good hobby room in my basement, though, that is pretty sweet to work in (photos to come when I finish the ceiling).

Old 07-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Cokeguy

Oh your very welcome I love showing pics because i love my cars  

I didn't have a whole lot of time for the hobby but due to a separation and moving out I have all the free time in the world (kinda... LOL)  unfortunately since I only have a bedroom at the moment my work area is my bedroom (reason why the pics are taken on my bed)

Lookin forward to posting more  

Steve
Old 07-02-2012, 09:46 AM
speed lover

Hi guys just getting into electric from nitro and wanna do a conversion on my Firestorm 10T nitro. It originally is nitro but wanna put an electric motor in it so it is mid mounted big job but i'm thinking about it been looking around and I think I'm gonna want a 3s setup that is'nt too wild any ideas want the speed without all the instant wheelie action here is a vid of the car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcB81XcVpCs
Old 07-08-2012, 12:52 PM
popsi

I was out of luck today and destroyed my stock 4800kv castle motor taking a 12 feet drop off a bmx track I was bashing... oh well... I had some fun at least...
I really need some advice in buying a new motor, and was wondering if you guys could help me out? I'm wondering if I need to buy the exact same motor again or if I can use some other motor with the existing ESC? I was looking into Leopard motors, but not quite sure about compability with the ESC. Any help would be really nice...
Here are link to the Leopard motors, however I'm not sure if any can be used?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:44 PM
dwblue00

Hello to all on the fourm! I just currently bought a E-Firestorm Flux and absolutely love it! I have done many upgrades to it already. Here's what I have done to it so far.....lundsford turnbuckles, losi titanium ball studs, Integy aluminum steering rack, RPM arms, front bearing carriers, Hpi aluminum bearing carriers with vertical ball studs, STRC aluminum shock bodies and caps, Traxxas digital hi-torque water proof servo, and ti-nitride steering posts. I also have ti-nitride susp. pins and shock shafts, as well as titanium slipper shaft and idler shaft coming in. I drove it today and absolutely love this truck! RPM arms take out the flimsy stock arms in stiffness. I also hooked up the castle link and did some fine tuning. The only thing lacking was traction with stock tires. I run associated silver springs, A piston, limiters with 37.5 wt oil on the fronts. Rears get limiters, gold springs, B pistons, and 30 wt oil. Stiff and responsive, which we race on a rubber like material. This truck is lethal on the track! More fine tuning it should be giving TLR 22T, T4s, and RT5 a run for their money!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:09 PM
JB19

Just ordered a new Firestorm Flux Waterproof and I was wondering if there is anything else I should order with it? For now I will mainly be running it in the sand. A few things I am curious about are tires, battaries/charger. Is the charger it comes with is fine? Will the stock tires be fine in the sand? LiPos are out of the question right now because USPS won't ship them overseas. This is my first RC car/truck so I know next to nothing.  Thanks in advance

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.