Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 04:16 AM
Hotled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangutanklaus
hey guys - after 15 years i'm trying to get back into rc cars again and today i will buy an used hpi e-firestorm with 2 x 2s lipos and a brushed motor 17t.

after reading and watching about this model for the last days it came out pretty clear that i want to switch to a brushless system and replace some hpi parts for more reliability.
i will get the RPM bearings and arms but im more then confused about the motor setup ... on what will work with my car and what should i look for! for example - would this setup work for me? or should i go with a smaller one like this? do i need to change the gears as well?

i would be more then thankful if somebody could help me out!

thanks
What are you going to be using it for? Race, bash, street? That motor will do nicely over that brushed motor the stock motor in the Flux is a 4000kv 4 pole and it is plenty for that little vehicle
Old 07-07-2015, 05:10 AM
orangutanklaus

Originally Posted by Hotled
What are you going to be using it for? Race, bash, street? That motor will do nicely over that brushed motor the stock motor in the Flux is a 4000kv 4 pole and it is plenty for that little vehicle
for now just bashing - so i should go for the absima thrust with 3420kv (78€) or the eTronix photon with 4350kv (106€)? another thing - how important are better/different shocks in the beginning ... or overall is there something i should consider buying next to the brushless system? thanks for the help!
Old 07-07-2015, 02:44 PM
NachoRTR

Getting better shocks is always a good upgrade, but not necessary, so dont worry too much and take your time to save up for some shocks. As for the motor, the ones you posted I had never heard of those brands before and they are a bit too expensive. I recommend you get the 4000kv vektor from hpi/castle http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-1-10-Bli...item5d4bbe936e and a Hobbywing esc http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=297. The 3420kv motor will make the truck quite slow (boring :P) and the 4350 kv motor is too expensive for what you get.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:06 PM
mercerbeef

Long time no read guys

I see some of you guys are looking for upgrades, some of the Blitz parts will work and the ESE plastic parts are light weight for racing, AND can be dyed any color.
Other than STRC and Integy there's also
Hotracing if they don't have it in stock they sell through hobbyect.
if you want CF (Carbon fiber) check out
Xtremercracing or Platinum RC
you can get some of them through Amain or Stormer

the stock plastic shocks are ok, they're adjustable, so just change the oil and get some AE springs. Maybe a rebuild kit if they're leaking.

Nitro rob. I had to read back 30 or so pages, and seen your storm race set up was almost the same as mine. We raced on hard packed, damp with some loose. One day you'll want your storm back, and there'll be no rollers around. Jk lol
I've been doing snow removal the past 3 winters and couldn't race. I've been itching to get back to it, and reading your setup is just pushing me more. Lol. But I'm working a new job, 7 days (5evenings and 2 day) so I can even race VTA with the RS4 sport3 I I just got. And my storm is setup for bashing on a shelf. Not easy doing all that reading on a phone. Lol
my shortend basher body for my firestorm and my rs4 3
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	486
Size:	804.3 KB
ID:	2135306   Click image for larger version

Views:	500
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2135307  
Old 12-10-2015, 07:05 PM
nitro-rob

Nice to see you again, Mercer. I have an RS4 3 evo as well. My storm is unfortunately long gone and I have defected to another brand but I do race ST regularly (I could have had it running better now compared to when I was working on it). Its a sentimental vehicle for me because the nitro and e-storm were my first nitro and electric RCs and it is why I am loyal to the ST class which has been struggling at our track even with the new kit releases the past year.

Its been a while since I've bashed or played with an RC on the street and all of those vehicles are gone. The storm was my street truck and it was by far the highest top end speed electric vehicle I have ever owned.

Where do you race? Do you have a link to the track?
Old 12-10-2015, 08:38 PM
mercerbeef

For off-road I was racing at Circuit JC in St-Polycarp, Qc. Not far from the Ontario border. 45 min from Ottawa. I haven't been there in awhile, and even then I just went to check it out and talk to some of the guys. Only link I can find is their Facebook. Lol
https://www.facebook.com/public/Circuit-Jc

For onroad there's a small local carpet track my friends trying to get going. We ran 1/16 slash then just made it a 1/16 class, they run a 1/10 slash oval with a few ramps, gets crazy when there's 5 or more trucks lol. And we run the 1/10 VTA. This years been a rough start so they postponed the season until after the holidays.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K9ECr9IV9EY

Theres a bigger onroad/off-road track in St-hyacinth, 30min east of Montreal some of the guys go to, I haven't been there yet but it looks good.
http://circuitctsh.com/

There a lot more tracks now! I'm trying to find links and I found a track locator! Lol
http://www.lemordudurc.com/rcpistes.html
Old 04-30-2016, 04:48 AM
Hotled

I know this thread is dead, but I was going to resurrect my Firestorm and make it a speed street machine. I am looking for SPUR gear mods since I only seem to be able to find the original spurs online, I need to run a much smaller spur and larger pinion and I'm gonna got with a 3s setup to start with , new esc and motor to.
Any ideas on spurs? I wouldn't mind trying to modify it to accept mod1 gears since thats what I run in my 1/8.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:22 AM
nitro-rob

What kind of gearing were you planing on runnning? Depending on your motor you will run into heat problems soon if you shoot too high. What is the biggest pinion you can get away with is important to know - but I can't remember that.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:50 AM
nitro-rob

Mercerbeef - forgot to repost to our previous email. I go here mostly in the winter: http://www.barnyardrc.com/
I am about a two hour drive from RC Clubhouse in Michigan as well and there are enough outdoor tracks that I don't have to drive more than 45 min in the summer to have a selection. We finished the indoor two weekends ago and outdoor starts in two weeks.

I am running TLR and Kyosho and sadly, I have never seen another firestorm raced, or even driven on a track, by someone other than myself in my region and likely I never will. The stadium truck class is picking up, though.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:57 PM
mercerbeef

Nice, I just got done rebuilding my storm, with the Xtremeracing cf chassis. I'm still waiting on some parts so I just kept the old stuff for now. And I bought some Strcracing parts when they had their sale. The only part that gave me sues was the strc steering setup, it's the blitz version and doesn't fit the storm right.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	503
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2184416   Click image for larger version

Views:	456
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2184417   Click image for larger version

Views:	521
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2184418  
Old 10-04-2016, 09:28 PM
nitro-rob

Car is looking good. Haven't seen you for a while! I haven't played on the street with an RC in a few years and just got the urge again. Picked up a mini-8ight T. What have you been up to?
Old 10-05-2016, 11:01 PM
mercerbeef

Got a night watchman job 7 days 11pm - 7 am 7-7 on weekends. Been wrenching on some of the rc's I got in trades at work. Just changed a chassis on an old m03 Mini Cooper. And almost completed a stampede from spare parts left over from repairs I did for people. Lol it just needs front axles and tranny internals, maybe a few screws lol
Old 09-27-2017, 09:05 AM
lifeofbrian

I know this is a very old thread but can anyone tell me how to get rid off excessive play in the axles?
Old 09-29-2017, 01:18 PM
FlapJackFred

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The axles ride on bearings, and the bearings are in a hub carriers, or steering blocks. I start checking with the bearings.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:43 PM
Beamie

Default Dampers

What good shocks to use on this stadium truck. I'm still baking mines in a Philly famed Fairmont Park. Speed runs will eventually be in order. But for now, I'm enjoying doing what I do.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:21 PM
Beamie

Default Dampers

What good shocks to use on this stadium truck. I'm still baking mines in a Philly famed Fairmont Park. Speed runs will eventually be in order. But for now, I'm enjoying doing what I do.