Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 05:38 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

You serious racers have to run with the hi-viz colored bodies and wheels! I noticed how my half-black truck, looked smaller from the drivers stand than it did when I had the stock blue body.

It’s nice to see how different bodies will fit-up to the E-Firestorm. Did you go with the T4 one because it seemed to be the best fit out of the choices they had at your LHS? Is that body actually shorter than the stock E-Firestorm body or does it just look shorter because it had to be shifted forward some to match-up with the rear shock towers? The few times I've been out to the track I forget to get a good side-by-side comparison to other ST's. Everytime I see the other ST's they appear smaller, but I figure some of that is just my lack of familiarity with them, and just seeing them on a big wide track after watching 1/8 scale truggies run.

My friend just picked up a clear HPI Baja TT (E-Zilla/E-Savage Baja Bug) body for his E-Firestorm.

Are the Associated alum shocks really only half the price of the HPI ones? I thought the difference was more like $5 more per pair; and that difference can be attributed to the inlcuded aluminum shock caps. Price of AE spring kits and range of springs in those kits definitely has HPI beat though.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:01 PM
rbjeepthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DARKWAV

You serious racers have to run with the hi-viz colored bodies and wheels! I noticed how my half-black truck, looked smaller from the drivers stand than it did when I had the stock blue body.

It’s nice to see how different bodies will fit-up to the E-Firestorm. Did you go with the T4 one because it seemed to be the best fit out of the choices they had at your LHS? Is that body actually shorter than the stock E-Firestorm body or does it just look shorter because it had to be shifted forward some to match-up with the rear shock towers? The few times I've been out to the track I forget to get a good side-by-side comparison to other ST's. Everytime I see the other ST's they appear smaller, but I figure some of that is just my lack of familiarity with them, and just seeing them on a big wide track after watching 1/8 scale truggies run.

My friend just picked up a clear HPI Baja TT (E-Zilla/E-Savage Baja Bug) body for his E-Firestorm.

Are the Associated alum shocks really only half the price of the HPI ones? I thought the difference was more like $5 more per pair; and that difference can be attributed to the inlcuded aluminum shock caps. Price of AE spring kits and range of springs in those kits definitely has HPI beat though.
I was once told by a semi pro racer to always paint your truck bodies bright colours and to also paint the wing with a high contrast colour to the main body so that it gives you something to focus on. I have a clear E-Firestorm body on order from my lhs but couldn't wait any longer. The only reason I went with the T4 was because it was in-stock so I figured what the heck i'll try it out. It seemed to look like it would fit the best to between the Losi and AE ST bodies. Yes the body is a little far forward to clear the shock towers but it is definitely shorter then the stock HPI one. I also had to move the body mounts from the back to the front and the front to the back so it sits a little high too. However I like how it makes the truck itself look taller without fudging up the suspension.

As for the shocks with the upgraded aluminum caps I paid $35.00 per end for the AE ones from my lhs. The HPI ones were $55.00 so not exactly half but in total a $40 difference! I invested the difference in good tires and rims. I have learned quite early on were to invest your money wisely and what to not waste it on. Hence the reason I bought an E-Firestorm and not a Losi or AE vehicle.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Enzyme80

As for the shocks with the upgraded aluminum caps I paid $35.00 per end for the AE ones from my lhs. The HPI ones were $55.00 so not exactly half but in total a $40 difference! I invested the difference in good tires and rims. I have learned quite early on were to invest your money wisely and what to not waste it on. Hence the reason I bought an E-Firestorm and not a Losi or AE vehicle.
Thats cool and gives everyone good information should be really helpful when I am going to get new shocks. I am not planning on racing any time soon. This could change but really I do not have the time to much stuff to do around the house. I would like to run at the track sometimes though just nothing major. What are some good tires to use for that?

Another thing, if I get MOABs for bashing do I have to change my gearing?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Redvanmafia

yeah lower your gearing for moabs there a 5+ inch tire thats E/T-maxx size almost 1 tooth on the pinion is Close to 3 on the spur so take it 2 teeth on the pinion down, thats like going up 6 teeth on the spur
Old 04-10-2008, 10:11 AM
ElectricGuy007

I wanted to use my pink taper pins and rims from my rs4mt on the e-firestorm is that possible?
Or does the e-firestorm have the associated hex pins on the rear end?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:03 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

$35 is a really good price for the pair of shocks and caps. At tower the AE shocks are about $41.xx and the caps $2.xx. They finally have the HPI shocks now in stock for $45.xx.

Higer contrast at the corners does make sense, I'm sure you'll better be able to discern sooner how the car is rotating around the axes to be able to make correction on the line your trying to drive or the pitch in-flight.

For race tires check out the Pro-Line website. Hmm actually it looks like they recently put all the 1/10 truck tires in page so it is not quite as easy to figure out which are race tires and which are bash tires. Well anyway the race oriented tires tend to have the smaller pin treads as opposed to the chunkier and blockish treads for bashing, crawling, and longer life. Edge and Blade are front-only race tires. For drive wheels you are looking at things like Hole Shots, Step-Pin, Lug Nut, Bow-Tie, Snake-Eyes, and maybe Galdiator. Read the product descriptions on those to see if they're good for hard packed or soft conditions. This will help you remember what to look for when you go out the track so you can recognize the tires others are running.

When you go to the track check out the dirt when its dry and when they have wet it down. Also take a peak at what most other people are running.

At my track it tends to be softer soil, and when it is wet, the mud really like to clog the tires. So at my track Step-Pins and Lug Nuts seem to be the best all-around tire.

The HPI Ground Assault tires that come with the truck are a really hard compound and the tread design resembles Hole Shots. So you can get by with these for racing your first time out but you may want to have a set that matches track conditions for the next time you go out.

Well anyway that's about what I've learned so far...

E-Firestorm has 12mm Hex Hubs front and rear. I don't know what the mounting surface on the RS4MT wheels looks like. Give HPI Tech Support a call.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Enzyme80

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

yeah lower your gearing for moabs there a 5+ inch tire thats E/T-maxx size almost 1 tooth on the pinion is Close to 3 on the spur so take it 2 teeth on the pinion down, thats like going up 6 teeth on the spur

So if I got the moabs 2.2 and then got a pinion w/ 2 less teeth that should work out? Just want to make sure I have an idea about what I am doing before I do it.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:50 PM
dafpnp

I have been playing with E_Firestorm for 2 weeks now.
Lots of Head ons, inverted landings, and what not.
I don't know about others, but this one is strong, strong and strong.

Nothing has broken yet.
What I like about this is the flexibility of front arms. They hit, bounce back ..and you are ready for another hit :-)

--------------------------------

Couple of questions I have.
When should I think of rebuilding shocks. I haven't noticed any leakage from any of the shocks, but I feel that the front bottoms out pretty easily. I pulled the front up by preloading the front springs a bit, but the same story again.

Also, I notice that the front wheels aren't always on ground. They seem to be jumping a bit. I can see them leaving ground.
Is it normal? If not, whats the remedy?

-------------------------------
How do you decide on springs? Hard / Soft. Whats the criteria?
------------------------------
Last Question: I plan to upgrade to CC SideWinder BL Setup. I am confused f I should go for 4600 motor or 5700? Keeping in mind I want to practice for races on short tracks. No high speed boasting runs required. I am running trinity reference NiMH 3600s.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Enzyme80

Also, I notice that the front wheels aren't always on ground. They seem to be jumping a bit. I can see them leaving ground.
Is it normal? If not, whats the remedy?
What are you running on to make your front tires leave the ground? I mean I guess mine do a little when going over grass at full speed but only a little. Maybe try moving the battery to the front of the holder or add some other type of weight to the front of the car. Not sure how as I am new and have only had the truck for 3 weeks.

I agree with the strength of this truck. I took my truck out today and really tried to break it. It just won't do it yet. I am not mad about this actually I am really happy I am just amazed at the beating this truck can take.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:54 AM
freestylingford

I don't think you can break it at factory speed unless its off a cliff. But you can strain a few things with a decent brushless motor.

What does everyones rear axle slots look like. The diff shafts on mine are looking a little on the replace me soon side but the axle on the hubs look just fine.

So far no wear on the spur gear, slipper pads still red not to mention the body is still in great shape and I run this thing really hard. I really like this ride.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:59 AM
rbjeepthing

ORIGINAL: freestylingford

What does everyones rear axle slots look like. The diff shafts on mine are looking a little on the replace me soon side but the axle on the hubs look just fine.
Mine is toast down waiting for replacement parts to arrive. However I do not attest this to the quality of the truck rather the esc/motor setup and my lack of carefulness when landing from jumps.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:30 PM
rbjeepthing

Well I got the opportunity of a lifetime tonight well it feels that way anyways. I swung by the lhs to see if my parts had arrived. Sure enough 2 weeks so far and they are still on B.O. This is where the story gets good. The owner mentions that he has a brand new E-Firestorm in the back that the cap from the ESC had fallen off during shipping so they sent the ESC in for warranty and they had removed one of the front arms for a replacement for another customer. He asked if I would just like to take the whole truck for cheap!.....So I did Woo Hooo now I am the proud owner of another Firestorm which I used my old ESC and purchased a new arm for the front. She is good to go now.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Enzyme80

Wow Nice job. Just change the wheels for looks? Are you gonna use both of them or just have one for parts?
Old 04-12-2008, 06:46 PM
ELK

i'm torn between a xxx-t cr and a e-firestorm any suggestions too help me.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Oregon mud

Upgrades:
Spektrum receiver
Custom carbon fiber battery, servo and bulkhead braces from Platinum RC Products
Lunsford titanium ball studs
RPM Punisher ball cups
Blue Bird 631MG servo
Robinson Racing 18 tooth pinion gear
T-Bone RC front and rear bumpers
Natedog's screws
Deans Ultra plugs

Old 04-14-2008, 08:54 PM
rbjeepthing

ORIGINAL: Enzyme80

Wow Nice job. Just change the wheels for looks? Are you gonna use both of them or just have one for parts?
Just swapped them onto my other truck so I could run it at the track since there is a lot of loose dirt.

I will use it in it''s stock form. I installed a lipo cut-off so I can run my batteries in it. If I need parts I will rob them from it and obviously it will be un-drivable. When the parts are readily available I will set it up to race and then have a working drivable truck for who ever else is with me at the time.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Oregon mud

ORIGINAL: broken rusty

i''m torn between a xxx-t cr and a e-firestorm any suggestions too help me.
Look at the 2 trucks side by side. The E Firestorm is the Savage version of the XXXT. Tougher and less money, cant beat that with a stick.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Enzyme80

ORIGINAL: rbjeepthing

ORIGINAL: Enzyme80

Just swapped them onto my other truck so I could run it at the track since there is a lot of loose dirt.

I will use it in it''''s stock form. I installed a lipo cut-off so I can run my batteries in it. If I need parts I will rob them from it and obviously it will be un-drivable. When the parts are readily available I will set it up to race and then have a working drivable truck for who ever else is with me at the time.

I am new to this not that I am going to run lipo anytime soon where you do get a lipo cut off and how do you install it? Just wondering if it would be worth my time. Right now I am still just running crappy nimh (real crappy I mean).
Old 04-15-2008, 11:10 PM
calvino

dumb question, is the turn limit on the ESC 15T??????? also, is it darn slow (since i can''t decide wether if i get one to get the flux or brushed[>:])
Old 04-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Oregon mud

ORIGINAL: calvino

dumb question, is the turn limit on the ESC 15T??????? also, is it darn slow (since i can''''t decide whether if i get one to get the flux or brushed[>:])
It does have a 15T limit. The stock motor is not slow, but there are faster 15T motors that can go into the truck using the same ESC. I plan on getting an Orion motor of some kind soon. You want a double wound if I''m not mistaken.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:18 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: Oregon mud

ORIGINAL: calvino

dumb question, is the turn limit on the ESC 15T??????? also, is it darn slow (since i can''''''''t decide whether if i get one to get the flux or brushed[>:])
It does have a 15T limit. The stock motor is not slow, but there are faster 15T motors that can go into the truck using the same ESC. I plan on getting an Orion motor of some kind soon. You want a double wound if I''''m not mistaken.
ya, it does look like a sick truck, wana have somethin bigger to bash.... with other than my 18T (fun, but forget real big bashing......[])
Old 04-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Oregon mud

I haven''t ran mine much yet (5 packs) but from what I hear its a great basher. But when I changed receivers on mine I lost brakes and didnt realize it. I went down the straight and tapped the brakes at the end to make the corner ...... and there was none. Ended up into a solid wall at almost full speed and the only thing that happened was a stripped servo horn. A fast and easy fix.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:27 PM
calvino

I haven''''t ran mine much yet (5 packs) but from what I hear its a great basher. But when I changed receivers on mine I lost brakes and didnt realize it. I went down the straight and tapped the brakes at the end to make the corner ...... and there was none. Ended up into a solid wall at almost full speed and the only thing that happened was a stripped servo horn. A fast and easy fix.
wow, that is TUFF, aprox how fast is it??????? ya, me got LOTS of questions, ya, definately consider a "hotter" motor for it, and maybe down the road a BRUSHLESS
Old 04-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Oregon mud

It was still doing at least 25mph when it hit the wall. It wasn''t going slow for sure. I turned and still tried to make the corner and I was off throttle so it had slowed a little . But still slid sideways and hit hard. I thought it was a goner.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:19 AM
calvino

It was still doing at least 25mph when it hit the wall. It wasn''''t going slow for sure. I turned and still tried to make the corner and I was off throttle so it had slowed a little . But still slid sideways and hit hard. I thought it was a goner.
ya, that is prety tough, ya, amazing how these cars can come back for more, I took my 18T to a BMX park and I SWEAR I thought somethin was goin to break, NOTHING did, off of HUGE jumps....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.