Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official DB-01 Durga Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official DB-01 Durga Thread

I think mine are donso.. Last time I looked at them they didnt look like they were in that great of shape. I think I tightened them to tight and crushed the little spring in there..
Old 02-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Vyger

I pretty sure my diffs are done as well. I errored on the side of caution after seeing pics of everyone's melted diffs. So I gave mine a little extra crank. I got the gear diff but they come with plastic bevel gears. I'm pretty sure these wont last very long and Tamiya is out of the steel gears....dooh! BTW the steel gears are item number 54428 in case anyone is wondering. So, I'm going to wait to do the install until I can get the steel gears. I'm also looking at dropping in a 7.5t brushless...cause I need more speed.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Hwa224

Hey guys, long time no post.

I have a 6.5t LRP X11 ? I think ? in my DB01. No problems per se, good run times and no over heating regardless of terrain. But I'd recommend upgrading the spring on the slipper clutch if yours isn't a DB01r that came with the better/stiffer spring.

I still have the ball diff in the front and a gear diff in the rear. I run the stock 1k oil that the gear diff comes with, plus plastic gears. IMO, it's still been the best hopup I've installed on the DB01.

For tires/wheels, the tires/wheels that Exceed RC buggies have are good for bashers because the tires last long enough, offer good traction in dirt, grass, and snow, are glued, come with no inserts that can get wet and kill the balance of tires, and are super cheap at about 6.50 USD a pair. I pick them up at hobbypartz.com. I recently purchased 3 pairs of fronts, chrome gold, and 3 pairs rear tires - various colors, gold, green, and red. But these tires aren't very good on asphalt.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 AM
Eman77

Interesting option - at least they're cheap, although no foam is a bummer.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Im running the og tires. They are murked though
Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Vyger

Thanks for all the info. That's all good to know...but I think I'm still going to wait for the metal gears. It's not something I want to dig into several times. I'd rather install them once...hopefully with no leaks. I'll have to look for that spring as a replacement.

Do any of you guys have the DB02? I really like that buggy. I'm just trying to justify buying another car....I don't really "need" it. But it sure looks cool.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Eman77

Well, we never "need" any RCs. But yeah, the DB02 looks pretty cool.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I didnt even know they made a db02.. Whats different?
Old 02-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Vyger

It's a shaft driven 4WD buggy.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58507

Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Hmm pretty interesting. What's the point though I mean other than balance?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Hmm pretty interesting. What's the point though I mean other than balance?
What's the point of shaft driven, or having a DB02 in general?

Shaft driven (to me anyway) means don't worry about getting dirt/water/gunk all in your belt drive pulleys, supposedly more stout drivetrain (although I've never really had belt issues to be honest from a durability standpoint).

As a counter point, belts are more efficient and really stealthy quiet in comparison.

But for the DB02 in general, I'm sure the layout is more balanced as you say, perhaps they made other performance improvements for handling, steering, who knows what. I just think it's neat to have another platform to choose from, plus the "ooh, it's new - git one!" factor.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I not like trying to argue here. Just for sake of conversation. The pulleys and belts are sealed so I mean whats the point. Ive had worse experience with tamiyas shaft with the tt-01. It shredded itself... Although I can see the reasoning around balancing it but why not leave it belt drive. Other than the oh looke there new car factor.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Vyger

Like I said...I don't really need it...I just think it's a cool kit. I like the ruggedness of the drivetrain. It reminds me of the 1/8 scale stuff...which looks pretty tough. I haven't had any problems at all with my DB01 (knock on wood) other than swapping motors is a B*tch...but I'm not 100% sure this would be any easier.

My buddy sent me a link this to this article, its RC Car Action's build of the DB02.
http://www.rccaraction.com/DB02_Build
Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Hwa224

For pure bashing, I rather prefer tires without the foams since inserts rot out real quick as soon as you hit a puddle. Worst of all, the balance of the wheel is never the same after a wet bash. Just me?

So I'm fine with the 3 sets of tires I recently purchased considering that they're now almost all sold out. But Ebay has a few sellers in China selling some interesting sets of buggy tires (12mm hex), for about 20 bucks.

BTW, DB02 sucks. I'm comfortable with this conclusion. The battery layout is awkward and restrictive and the DB02 seems to have major durability issues - the ball diffs melt or something. Sure, the shaft drive seems to be a plus, but not in practice.

I wonder if anyone's ever tried placing a relatively short 550 size motor on the DB01 - cut out the side guard on the chassis and force the shell to push out a little, and then gear it up ? perhaps ? to place less torque on the belt and power train. Trade off would be improved speeds at better effeciency.

Then again, rather than all that it's probably best to just get a 1/8th buggy.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

I not like trying to argue here. Just for sake of conversation. The pulleys and belts are sealed so I mean whats the point. Ive had worse experience with tamiyas shaft with the tt-01. It shredded itself... Although I can see the reasoning around balancing it but why not leave it belt drive. Other than the oh looke there new car factor.
Oh I hear ya, nothing wrong with discussion. The "look new car!" factor is definitely part of it.

I know our belts are "sealed", but I still get dirt in there. Run it in a baseball dirt infield on a dry day for a while - you get dirt EVERYWHERE. That said, it hasn't caused me any issues really.

For me, a DB02 purchase would be more about the "cool, new car" factor if I went that route.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: Hwa224

For pure bashing, I rather prefer tires without the foams since inserts rot out real quick as soon as you hit a puddle. Worst of all, the balance of the wheel is never the same after a wet bash. Just me?

So I'm fine with the 3 sets of tires I recently purchased considering that they're now almost all sold out. But Ebay has a few sellers in China selling some interesting sets of buggy tires (12mm hex), for about 20 bucks.

BTW, DB02 sucks. I'm comfortable with this conclusion. The battery layout is awkward and restrictive and the DB02 seems to have major durability issues - the ball diffs melt or something. Sure, the shaft drive seems to be a plus, but not in practice.

I wonder if anyone's ever tried placing a relatively short 550 size motor on the DB01 - cut out the side guard on the chassis and force the shell to push out a little, and then gear it up ? perhaps ? to place less torque on the belt and power train. Trade off would be improved speeds at better effeciency.

Then again, rather than all that it's probably best to just get a 1/8th buggy.

I dunno, I bash in puddles sometimes without regard to the foams, and haven't really noticed any issues. How can you tell if they rot if you can't see them? I doubt I could tell if the wheels went out of balance since I never balance mine anyway - it's not like I race, or running at 60 MPH where I'm overly concerned about it. I'm usually running in an area that throws the buggy around so much that wheel balance is the least of my worries.

For racing, of course, it's another issue.

But then, no foams seems so 1980. No foams means you're running on flats all day - how good could THAT be for performance?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Hwa224

I know the foam rots out because 1) the smell and 2) I've seen it.

But you can tell how misbalanced the tires get by how much the RC shakes when you have it in your hand in the air and you get the throttle going. Violent shaking.

But those Exceed tires don't need the inserts because the rubber compound isn't soft.

Either way, at 13 bucks a set, they seem to be ideal for bashing.

The DB02? It stopped being new a while ago. I'm surprised that Tamiya haven't come out with the DB02R version that comes with the slipper clutch, TRF dampers, upgraded ball diffs or gear diffs, etc... But then again that would turn out to be way overpriced. The DB02 as it is right now with plastic dampers is way overpriced.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Eman77

You're right - the DB02 is pretty expensive.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Lowrider21

Hi all, please bear with me if I just overlooked the information in this enormouly long thread...

I am new to the Durga world, just assembled my car and gave it one good go outside.
Afterwards I installed a slipper clutch, apparently I should have done that in the first place.

The rear standard ball diff had overheated and melted down.
So now I invested in two gear diffs that are yet to be built in.

However, I am now unsure what the correct solution for the front axis is...
A one-way or the gear set??

Who can advise?

Thanks - lowrider

Old 06-13-2013, 06:31 AM
Eman77

I think it depends on if you're racing it or not. You going to be racing in competitions, or just leisurely at a track and/or messing around with it in the street, dirt, etc?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Lowrider21

Definitely the latter, just leisure "bashing" with my kids. What would you suggest? Currently I'll stick with the ball diff, but if that also needs replacement I'd like to know, what to replace it with...Thanks - Lowrider
Old 06-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Eman77

Stick with a regular diff then up front (no need for a one way). I'd guess that a ball diff would be fine up front. I still run ball diffs front and rear (I bash too, but on a bit of a demanding castle 5700 setup on 2s). My front diff hasn't had issues, it was the rear one that I melted twice before I upgraded to 501x diff parts (before I was aware of the gear diff).

Thought I had the ball diff tightened properly too, guess not. Gear diff eliminates that worry though, so that's nice.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:07 AM
Colzy2

Hi all
Hope there's still some of you out there with the trusty DB01.
I've just purchased some TRF shocks & Atomic Carbon front & rear shock towers. While waiting for them to arrive, I need to get the correct mounting screws for the shocks. Is there anyone that can advise on the lengths required for front & back mounting, & perhaps where to buy?
Thanks heaps
Old 03-22-2016, 12:43 AM
jerrylites

does anyone know the battery compartment dimensions? just wanted to know the largest sized battery that fits db01 chassis without further mods please.