Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official DB-01 Durga Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 01:37 AM
gman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official DB-01 Durga Thread

You will be ok for now with the plastic hinge pin balls that you're talking about. Over time you may want to get the fluorine coated ones as they are nice and i have not had any of my suspension arms come off. Good luck to you.
Oh yeah and if anyone is interested i have some part's for my Durga for sale. If anyone is interested in a set of F/R 3racing carbon fiber shock towers at a good price, Aluminum Wing Mount, Front One Way and I believe that's it. Please shoot me a PM if interested. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39257.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	1265001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91756.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1265002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80400.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1265003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20048.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1265004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs97512.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1265005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq97126.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1265006  
Old 08-31-2009, 12:14 AM
Forgetful_Duck

Hmmm My TRF diff joints arrived today but unfortunately I won't have time to build my db01 till maybe few weeks down the road.... I am filled to the brim with studies at university.. fine time to buy a new car kit i know...
About the tyres...
When they wear out, How do most people dispose of them? by that i mean, do you either throw both rim and tires away or somehow rip the tyres off the rim and then stick new ones on?
Is there any CA debonder out there? Or is it just a case of cut and rip the old tyre off and sand the inside of the rim a bit to get rid of any rubber and CA on the plastic then whack on a new set fo tires?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:32 AM
HSVXU6

Hi Forgetful_Duck. I throw the whole lot out. Too much work to get the tyres off. Some people use Acetone and soak the rims and tyres in it, you need to be careful of what material your rims are made out of, plastic could be a disaster, nylon perhaps not so bad. You can buy de-bonder for CA, have used it but not worth the trouble. If you are just bashing you can buy a set of 3 Racing pre mounted tyres for under $20.00 and if you aren't racing for the Gold Cup they are good enough for that as well.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Redvanmafia

I'd like one of these buggys, but im under the impression there only good for packed dirt and on road, and nothing else because of there low GC small tires and such, but with brushless they must be some kind of fast!
Old 08-31-2009, 04:09 PM
HSVXU6

Hi Redvanmafia. If you want a basher buy a monster truck or a 1/8th buggy.

"there low GC small tires and such" ?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:40 PM
gman1

I wouldn't throw out the rims unless I had the money to spend, even then it's still a waste. The best way to get your tires off of the rims is the boiling method. All you do is boil the tires, preferably 2 at a time for about 10 minutes and once it gets to the 10 minute mark, make sure you have some rubber dish gloves or maybe something thicker that doesn't absorb water, and just rip the tires from the wheels. I had to do this about 3 weeks ago and it was kind of a pain in the butt, but after a lil' while i was finished. If the whole tire doesn't come off on the first try which i guarantee you it won't just keep putting them back into the boiling water. There's no need to throw out the whole unit just because the tires are bad. Don't get me wrong though, if the rims are cracked and all messed up just chuck em'. I hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:47 PM
gman1

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

I'd like one of these buggys, but im under the impression there only good for packed dirt and on road, and nothing else because of there low GC small tires and such, but with brushless they must be some kind of fast!

I don't understand why you would be under the impression that the DB01 would only be good for packed dirt or on road as you say. As far as small tires go, if you're not aware tires are interchangeable. What did you mean by low GC? Were you referring to CG, low center of gravity? That also can be fixed as well. This is done by an old method, which i believe is an ancient Chinese secret called ride height adjustment. If your question was meant to ask whether or not the buggy is race worthy, the answer is YES.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:46 PM
ElectricGuy007

Almost all 4wd buggys are this way, ive never seen one without lower CG. I'm sure its to balance the chassis out.
Not only that but it improves handling characteristics. If you look at 8th scale buggys and truggies they are the same way.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 PM
gman1

Don't listen to redvanmafia, he has no clue what he is talking about and purposely tries to get on peoples nerves. I have read some of his other posts and all he does is talk rubbish on subjects that he has no clue about!!! Good point there about the CG factor B-Mag!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 PM
Druss

Each vehicle is designed for a specific purpose, doesn't mean that you have to use it for that purpose. A perfect example is how tamiya used the TB-03 buggy chassis as the basis for their DF-03Ra rally car.

All 1/10 buggies are low, that's why they have such good handling on a track. A truck will have higher clearance and worse handling. A monster truck has the most clearance and the worst handling.

With all that said, buggies are not only used on the street or track, I have bashed my DB-01 on construction sites, gravel roads.. etc. I would not suggest getting 10' of air with one though...
Old 09-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: gman1

I wouldn't throw out the rims unless I had the money to spend, even then it's still a waste. The best way to get your tires off of the rims is the boiling method. All you do is boil the tires, preferably 2 at a time for about 10 minutes and once it gets to the 10 minute mark, make sure you have some rubber dish gloves or maybe something thicker that doesn't absorb water, and just rip the tires from the wheels. I had to do this about 3 weeks ago and it was kind of a pain in the butt, but after a lil' while i was finished. If the whole tire doesn't come off on the first try which i guarantee you it won't just keep putting them back into the boiling water. There's no need to throw out the whole unit just because the tires are bad. Don't get me wrong though, if the rims are cracked and all messed up just chuck em'. I hope this helps.
I've boiled tires off before as well, and it works (just watch those hands with the hot water). It stinks...and I'd recommend using an old pot to boil in that you never want to cook food in again....but it works.

Doing it outside on a side-burner on a grill is ideal for this.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Forgetful_Duck

Straight off the production line... =)
test driven inside the house, very nice.... can't wait to take it outside! I;ve owned df02, df03, i'm gonna love this buggy....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84652.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1269491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz81136.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1269492  
Old 09-06-2009, 11:21 AM
ElectricGuy007

Is that the new DB-01R. Looks good. [8D]
Old 09-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Forgetful_Duck

Nah man, the standard DB01 Baldre. Running 4000KV (8.5T), 35A ezyrun brushless set, 91/23 gearing

Stuff I've added
TRF aeration dampers
Front universals
Slipper (normal single one)
TRF501x Diff joints for rear diff
ceramic thrust bearing for rear diff
Ceramic 3mm balls for both diffs
TRF501x Stablizer bar set
Belt tensioners
3racing Front and rear aluminium suspension arm holders
3racing aluminium servo mounts
Jconcepts V wing no.0114
Yeah Racing 12mm hex adapter
and ball raced the steering post with 4 850 size bearings.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Redvanmafia

You cant run 2.2 tires on a buggy there GMAN, these arnt ment for off-roading, Hence why the tires as so small and it will handle like garbage with 2.2 tires, so yeah Low CG small tires, small everything, doesnt equal huge jumps of backyard bashing, its a 25yr old tamiya it'll take a beating but only where it can go, and grass and ruff terrain arnt its specialty
Old 09-06-2009, 02:47 PM
ElectricGuy007

There is one thing missing that you should change on that baldre. Well worth the expense if you have the money.

_Tamiya Durga Titanium screw set

I thought about this screw set for my 501x WCE also if they all fit, if not then I'll have to get a stainless steel screw kit.
I suppose RC Screws makes it.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:37 PM
willus

Hi

i have a couple of questions. I recently upgraded my servo to a hitec HS-645MG high torque servo and took it out for a spin. the run went fine till the stock servo saver lost grip with the servo. The buggy took a tumble and I lost steering. Everything was fine (dogbones were in and the arms were true...) nothing was broken except i guess for the saver. I haven't opened it up yet but it seems like the servo saver isn't locking on the the servo teeth if you understand what i'm explaining. seemed to move independent of the servo. Just curious if anyone has had this problem. I upgraded from a standard futaba servo. Are the kimbrough servo savers stronger and able to withstand the high torque?

also, anyone using street tires with their durga? if so, which kind?

thanks!

Will
Old 09-06-2009, 11:03 PM
SoupSpoon

ORIGINAL: B44&501xRacerEX

There is one thing missing that you should change on that baldre. Well worth the expense if you have the money.

I thought about this screw set for my 501x WCE also if they all fit, if not then I'll have to get a stainless steel screw kit.
Ijust purchased a DB-01 (will be here Tuesday) and before Ibought it Iread almost every page in this thread. Some killer info from everyone and it was very helpful in my purchase. Ihave to say finding domestic hopup parts is not easy and most everything is ordered from HK. Iordered the slipper, new ceramic balls for diff's, New Wo universals, new shocks (ordered the wrong ones 3racing's) which Iwill be replacing with the Tamiya hop-ups. Ialso ordered the new thrust bearing and the screw set. Now Iam looking at ordering some hex drivers for the screws but can't find what sizes Ineed? Iknow metric but what sizes? 1.5-5 mm?

Thanks again for all the help, Iwill post pics of my build when complete...

SS-

Old 09-07-2009, 12:15 AM
malice23

You will love this buggy,so much bang for your buck! Quick tips are as follows...May sound crazy but if you are going to use the carbon reinforced chassis, or even the stock chassis for that matter, Make sure you add just a dab of grease on the tip of each screw...dont worry they will not come out. This will help prevent stripping screws. I think I stripped over 10 screws when I built this kit, maybe I screw too hard ...but once I did this the problem was solved. Tamiya plastics are tough so as soon as you start threading deeper you may be in danger of stripping....and yes I even stripped the titanium screws! Also, make sure you get the heavy duty diff from 3racing. Thats the only part 3racing makes that is worth the money. It will prevent your diffs from melting and it happens very often. If you are going to get the tamiya 501x shocks make sure you get the atomic carbon db01 shock towers as these allow for full travel without the use of limiters inside the shock shafts. With the stock towers the hop up shocks are too long and the camber links will rub on the inside of your rims. Other than that, as long as you have a slipper clutch you are ready to go. Just some friendly advice from what Ive experienced...others may agree or disagree but I found these tips to be especially helpful when building the db01. ALSO make sure you pay attention when building your diffs! Its easy to mess up if you dont pay attention.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:07 AM
Forgetful_Duck

Hmm in regards to the rear upper arms rubbing the inside of the rear rims with TRF dampers, I have the stock tower set up with TRF dampers but theres about 1.5-2mm clearance when my arms are fully extended down.
Shock mounting holes i'm using, Top 2nd one in from the most outer one, and Furthest outter hole for the arm.
It seems to be fine, but maybe because i'm not using Stock Rims? DF03 rims with 12mm hex conversion.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:21 AM
crusadores

KIMBROUGH????

They are the absolute best! I used to bash a Twin Detonator with all-alluminium conversion + chassis + 16.8 550 motors! Tamiya servo savers (the heavy duty ones) used to last 3-5 minutes before cracking as the truck was 3.9kg, going 50mph.
After switching to Kimbrough and HS-645MG the truck was INDESTRUCTABLE.
Just pick the right size...
Old 09-07-2009, 02:40 AM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

willus,

It sounds like that servo horn adapter might be a little too big for that servo, try some of the other adapters that came with the DB01 or a Kimbrough, I use them in alot of my cars and havd had no problems.

The only tires I have used for the street are Proline Dirt hawgs I and III, they are 2.2 tires and do fit the stock rims and hook up great on the street.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:37 AM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: malice23

I think I stripped over 10 screws when I built this kit, maybe I screw too hard ...but once I did this the problem was solved. Tamiya plastics are tough so as soon as you start threading deeper you may be in danger of stripping....and yes I even stripped the titanium screws!
I guess because it says titanium doesnt mean it cannot be stripped. I thought those screws would strip out the wrench and not the screw.[:-]
Guess it would be better to get the RC Screws Stainless Steel Screw kit. When I think of stainless steel, im thinking it's like aluminum and doesnt rust.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:00 PM
willus

ORIGINAL: The Collector1

willus,

It sounds like that servo horn adapter might be a little too big for that servo, try some of the other adapters that came with the DB01 or a Kimbrough, I use them in alot of my cars and havd had no problems.

The only tires I have used for the street are Proline Dirt hawgs I and III, they are 2.2 tires and do fit the stock rims and hook up great on the street.

Dirts Hawgs look great! thanks for the info. I'm gonna check my servo assembly later on and see what's going on.

will
Old 09-07-2009, 03:12 PM
dimblum

ORIGINAL: SoupSpoon

ORIGINAL: B44&501xRacerEX

I just purchased a DB-01 (will be here Tuesday) and before I bought it I read almost every page in this thread. Some killer info from everyone and it was very helpful in my purchase. I have to say finding domestic hopup parts is not easy and most everything is ordered from HK. I ordered the slipper, new ceramic balls for diff's, New Wo universals, new shocks (ordered the wrong ones 3racing's) which I will be replacing with the Tamiya hop-ups. I also ordered the new thrust bearing and the screw set. Now I am looking at ordering some hex drivers for the screws but can't find what sizes I need? I know metric but what sizes? 1.5-5 mm?

Thanks again for all the help, I will post pics of my build when complete...

SS-

The metric drivers you will need are 1.5mm, 2.0mm and 2.5mm.. I bought a set of Diamond metric drivers and have been pretty happy with them. They are inexpensive and made with tempered steel shafts. I have never been able to strip or bend these drivers. My stainless steel screws would sooner get damaged before these would.

It looks like the same tools are now under the Duratrax name. Here is a link.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFAL1&P=0

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.