Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official DB-01 Durga Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 05:38 AM
crusadores

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official DB-01 Durga Thread

Thank you Dimblum!

I am going to take all your suggestions under consideration, for the next race.
Can't find the rims & tyres here in Greece, though and as always i have to search the e-shops
and find one that can provide most of the items in one package...

Regards,
Stef
Old 10-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Tilux

Oh man, I would LOVE having that track near my home, my nearest track is private and have about 40 place for a year. [&o]
Old 10-09-2009, 09:51 AM
ElectricGuy007

Lots of good info there Dimblum. Some people run thicker oil in the rear to get rid of chassis slap. 60wt rear and 35 front is what I'm running in my car.
It jumped better than what I had before 60wt front and rear. And I am running both front and rear swaybars.
25wt rear and 35wt front is what I might try next. But the 60 R/35 F is working so I dont know if I should change it.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:06 PM
gman1

B-Mag, you don't even own a durga if I'm not mistaken, is that correct?
Old 10-10-2009, 02:14 PM
ElectricGuy007

Correct I dont. I have the more expensive DB01 though, alot of DB01 parts fit my chassis so it's roughly about
the same. The Db01 looks more suited for outdoor dusty tracks having a sealed driveline like a Losi XX4/XXX4.
Kinda like the Cyber 10B is a cheaper version of a Hotbodies D4. The Durga is a more affordable car.
I like that Tamiya made the durga so I'll have more options with my car, and parts are easier to find for me.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:19 PM
crusadores

Hi there!

Where do you get your spare parts online?
Best place for tyres and rims?
For example, i am looking for the bags with metal parts...Where should i look?

Stef
Old 10-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Tilux

Hi again guys.
I want to install a fan on my motor. It runs hot after 10 min. (Its a Castle Creation CM-36 4600kv) Do you guys know a good fan that will sit low, just that the body can sit on the chassis. I saw Castle Creation made fan for there motor. Would it fit on my motor?
Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 AM
malice23

So being that I live in NYC, finding an off-road track is nearly impossible. There is one in some ghetto area of the bronx and there is another almost an hour and a half away from me thats in-doors. Needless to say neither of those are convenient for me to get to. Its a shame that for me to go race I have to travel so far but just the other day I had a revelation. I live in a loft with a sick view of manhattan and right outside my window I have a huge rooftop that I can access at anytime. I sometimes test my cars on it before I go out to run them. So on a nice fall day I was looking around my tool room and saw a butt load of spray paint. And it dawned on me! Im going to make my own freakin track! I have cones, I have ramps and I even have those orange plastic discs that you buy from a sporting goods store. I did some rough measurements before I started to spray paint and realized that this can really work, so I made the back straight away first. Then came the 'S' turns followed by another straight and so forth...bottom line I created a track outlined by cones and those discs, which I glued to the surface so they dont go flying everytime some one hits them. There is even a ledge to view the track from an elevated point of view while you drive. Each one of my lanes are 4 ft. in width. All I have to do is finish outlining the track with some of those plastic discs and cones and its done. The moral of the story is this...I wasnt going to let my passion for RC die out because I had nowhere to race. I was determined to do this at some point in time but doing it in an area that is in my control without having to ask the Parks department is awesome. I can race anytime, even at night! I have the whole track lit up for night racing...and best of all I have no neighbors since my loft is literally on top of a commercial building. I will still occasionally go to that track to race with some other people but only when I have time to spare. As for now, this is where it will happen. I will post pics and video soon of my Durga on the track...stay tuned!
Old 10-11-2009, 12:00 PM
dimblum

ORIGINAL: Tilux

Hi again guys.
I want to install a fan on my motor. It runs hot after 10 min. (Its a Castle Creation CM-36 4600kv) Do you guys know a good fan that will sit low, just that the body can sit on the chassis. I saw Castle Creation made fan for there motor. Would it fit on my motor?
I never found any fan that would fit around the motor for cooling.. The Durga body sits too low for this..

The best solution for cooling I have found is:
* proper motor gearing
* the 'carbon reinforced' or 'db01-r' chassis with the Tamiya DB-01 underside motor heatsink
* the Tamiya hop-up DB-01 Motor Mount

The combo of these three things lowered my motor temps substantially, and my car performed better with proper gearing besides.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:02 PM
dimblum

ORIGINAL: malice23

So being that I live in NYC, finding an off-road track is nearly impossible. There is one in some ghetto area of the bronx and there is another almost an hour and a half away from me thats in-doors. Needless to say neither of those are convenient for me to get to. Its a shame that for me to go race I have to travel so far but just the other day I had a revelation. I live in a loft with a sick view of manhattan and right outside my window I have a huge rooftop that I can access at anytime. I sometimes test my cars on it before I go out to run them. So on a nice fall day I was looking around my tool room and saw a butt load of spray paint. And it dawned on me! Im going to make my own freakin track! I have cones, I have ramps and I even have those orange plastic discs that you buy from a sporting goods store. I did some rough measurements before I started to spray paint and realized that this can really work, so I made the back straight away first. Then came the 'S' turns followed by another straight and so forth...bottom line I created a track outlined by cones and those discs, which I glued to the surface so they dont go flying everytime some one hits them. There is even a ledge to view the track from an elevated point of view while you drive. Each one of my lanes are 4 ft. in width. All I have to do is finish outlining the track with some of those plastic discs and cones and its done. The moral of the story is this...I wasnt going to let my passion for RC die out because I had nowhere to race. I was determined to do this at some point in time but doing it in an area that is in my control without having to ask the Parks department is awesome. I can race anytime, even at night! I have the whole track lit up for night racing...and best of all I have no neighbors since my loft is literally on top of a commercial building. I will still occasionally go to that track to race with some other people but only when I have time to spare. As for now, this is where it will happen. I will post pics and video soon of my Durga on the track...stay tuned!
Thats pretty awesome to setup a track on your rooftop!! Looking forward to seeing some pictures
Old 10-11-2009, 12:18 PM
malice23

yup I think Ill be done with the set-tp by today...Im off on monday so by monday pics will be posted. Best of all the view of the city is awesome!
Old 10-11-2009, 01:48 PM
gman1

ORIGINAL: crusadores

Hi there!

Where do you get your spare parts online?
Best place for tyres and rims?
For example, i am looking for the bags with metal parts...Where should i look?

Stef

Spare parts for Tamiya Cars can be found at many different web sites. I personally shop at RC Mart, Stellamodels, E-bay, Tamiya. c o m and some other places as well. It really depends what I'm looking for that determines where I'll purchase what I need. You can get your wheels for short money at either RC mart or Stellamodels. If you don't see wheels under the DB01 spare parts section, I suggest that you try loooking in the 501x spare section since both vehicles share similar parts. Another suggestion is to do a simple google search or whatever search engine you might have. You can even pin point a specific part by entering the word Tamiya and then following that with the specific part number that your looking for. I personally order my tires from the U.S. which you can find at places such as Tower Hobbies, A main hobbies, Stormer Racing Etc. The list goes on and on as to where you can find parts. You just have to do a little bit of research and compare prices including the price of shipping to where you live. I hope this helps but if you have anymore questions I will be more than happy to help. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:00 PM
gman1

ORIGINAL: B44&501xRacerEX

Correct I dont. I have the more expensive DB01 though, alot of DB01 parts fit my chassis so it's roughly about
the same. The Db01 looks more suited for outdoor dusty tracks having a sealed driveline like a Losi XX4/XXX4.
Kinda like the Cyber 10B is a cheaper version of a Hotbodies D4. The Durga is a more affordable car.
I like that Tamiya made the durga so I'll have more options with my car, and parts are easier to find for me.

I only asked since it seemed like you were telling people in the thread what you run in your car such as shock oil. It's probably not the best idea to give advice for things such as what you use for oil in your front and rear dampers. Considering the 501X has a different layout such as the battery placement and such, the settings that might work for you could in turn throw someones DB01 out of whack. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, I just think that before sharing your settings in the DB01 thread, that you make it clear that you own a 501x and not the DB01. Just saying
Old 10-11-2009, 05:33 PM
SoupSpoon

ORIGINAL: dimblum

ORIGINAL: Tilux

Hi again guys.
I never found any fan that would fit around the motor for cooling.. The Durga body sits too low for this..

The best solution for cooling I have found is:
* proper motor gearing
* the 'carbon reinforced' or 'db01-r' chassis with the Tamiya DB-01 underside motor heatsink
* the Tamiya hop-up DB-01 Motor Mount

The combo of these three things lowered my motor temps substantially, and my car performed better with proper gearing besides.

Hope this helps.
I was able to get my fan on my Mamba 5700 to sit sideways, I had to do a little cutting into the chassis to get the ESCto sit sideways. It worked fits no problem...

Old 10-11-2009, 05:51 PM
SoupSpoon

This is the only part Ihad to trim to get it to fit. And this is the fan Ibought - http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...name=HEATSINKS

Old 10-11-2009, 06:34 PM
gman1

Looks nice. Although there really isn't a need for having a fan on the motor. A heat sink would have been just as good if you were that worried about heat being a factor. Like somebody else had mentioned, as long as your geared properly you should be ok as far as heat is concerned. I use to tun the Mamba Max 6900 and never had heat issues. When people talk about their motors getting hot and thermaling, the heat of the motor is at the very least about 200 degrees, which means you wouldn't be able to keep your finger on the motor for much longer than a second. Heat is natural for any type of motor whether it be in your R/C car or your full sized everyday car. Excessive heat is what you want to look out for, but if your geared correctly and have the vents cut on the durga shell to let some air in, everything should be ok.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:49 PM
SoupSpoon

ORIGINAL: gman1

Looks nice. Although there really isn't a need for having a fan on the motor. A heat sink would have been just as good if you were that worried about heat being a factor. Like somebody else had mentioned, as long as your geared properly you should be ok as far as heat is concerned. I use to tun the Mamba Max 6900 and never had heat issues. When people talk about their motors getting hot and thermaling, the heat of the motor is at the very least about 200 degrees, which means you wouldn't be able to keep your finger on the motor for much longer than a second. Heat is natural for any type of motor whether it be in your R/C car or your full sized everyday car. Excessive heat is what you want to look out for, but if your geared correctly and have the vents cut on the durga shell to let some air in, everything should be ok.
Heat was not an issue, it's geared fine. The otherday I ran it and my max temp on my DX3S said 93 degrees with the fan on. Just wanted to add it for the hell of it, almost didn't work as dimblum said but Isaw a way and thought Iwould post it up. Some people will have heat issues regardless since not everyone has the same gearing options some of the racers do.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:34 PM
gman1

Just to let you know 93 degrees isn't even close to being hot. The average human body temperature is 98.6 degrees. You need to be worried when your motor temps get too hot that you can't touch the motor with your fingers. This is between 150-200 degrees. None the less it looks pretty cool, it's just a shame that you had to hack into your vehicle in order to get the MM to fit like that since the fan would have hit with the ESC mounted the correct way. You can buy pinion sets by the way and you don't have to be a racer to have access to them which is cool. here is a link for the 13, 14, 15T pinion set. This will allow you to gear down so that you can reduce temps if you're worried about that. Just scroll about half way down the page. http://www.stellamodels.net/catalog/...sort=2a&page=2
Old 10-11-2009, 10:03 PM
SoupSpoon

Just to let you know 93 degrees isn't even close to being hot. The average human body temperature is 98.6 degrees. You need to be worried when your motor temps get too hot that you can't touch the motor with your fingers. This is between 150-200 degrees. None the less it looks pretty cool, it's just a shame that you had to hack into your vehicle in order to get the MM to fit like that since the fan would have hit with the ESC mounted the correct way. You can buy pinion sets by the way and you don't have to be a racer to have access to them which is cool. here is a link for the 13, 14, 15T pinion set. This will allow you to gear down so that you can reduce temps if you're worried about that. Just scroll about half way down the page. http://www.stellamodels.net/catalog/...sort=2a&page=2
Lol yea Iknow 93 isn't even close to hot Iwas letting you know how cool it ran with the fan on. And Iwas not aware that the MM had to be mounted length wise rather than sideways, how is this the wrong position if you could tell me the benefits of having it mounted 'the correct way' Iwould appreciate it? But Iagree it's a real shame that Ihad to hack 2mm's off to get it to fit, hope it doesn't effect the integrity of my chassis what do you think? Thanks for the link, i'm all set on pinions.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:25 AM
willus

Wow! that sounds great! I used to run this rc corvette I had when I was 10yrs old on the roof of our building. It was fun.

Can't wait to see an update!

Old 10-13-2009, 10:25 PM
gman1

If anyone is interested, I have a set of front and rear unused 3Racing Carbon Fiber shock towers. I am selling both for $20. They sell for $20 dollars a piece on most every site that I've seen. So you would be saving $20 plus the price of international shipping since they can't be found on any American sites that I've come across. First come first serve, so if you're interested just shoot me a P.M. and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks.

P.S. Here is a link to a site that you can view them on, if you haven't already seen what they look like before.http://www.stellamodels.net/catalog/...sort=2a&page=2 Just scroll down to the very bottom of the page and you will see them.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:33 PM
gelbschnee

Don't let them fall off the roof....
Old 10-13-2009, 11:33 PM
malice23

LoL...No theres a tall wall to prevent that...Im just trying to find a way to adhere the cones to the rooftop so that when a buggy hits them they dont come off. Me and a freind were testing the track and without cones or those little round orange disks its easy to lose your line and hit a wall, which we already did lol. So...any suggestions on how to glue these things on the ground? I tried gorilla glue but that didnt work...as soon as the car hit them they went flying. I need a strong adhesive. I was thinking of screwing them down if I found the beams but I dont want to cause a leak. Suggestions are most welcome and appreciated!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:35 PM
willus

LoL...No theres a tall wall to prevent that...Im just trying to find a way to adhere the cones to the rooftop so that when a buggy hits them they dont come off. Me and a freind were testing the track and without cones or those little round orange disks its easy to lose your line and hit a wall, which we already did lol. So...any suggestions on how to glue these things on the ground? I tried gorilla glue but that didnt work...as soon as the car hit them they went flying. I need a strong adhesive. I was thinking of screwing them down if I found the beams but I dont want to cause a leak. Suggestions are most welcome and appreciated!
Some super-duper velcro?
Old 10-14-2009, 01:02 AM
SoupSpoon

If anyone is interested, I have a set of front and rear unused 3Racing Carbon Fiber shock towers. I am selling both for $20. They sell for $20 dollars a piece on most every site that I've seen. So you would be saving $20 plus the price of international shipping since they can't be found on any American sites that I've come across. First come first serve, so if you're interested just shoot me a P.M. and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks.

P.S. Here is a link to a site that you can view them on, if you haven't already seen what they look like before.http://www.stellamodels.net/catalog/...sort=2a&page=2 Just scroll down to the very bottom of the page and you will see them.
Thats a good deal, Ijust bought mine last week and paid 19.95 for front and 22.95 for the back. You can get them in the states -

Front 3R Towers - http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...e=Durga%20DB01

Rear 3R Towers - http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...&cat_name=DB01

Tower also has the TRFdampers in stock so no need to order from over seas- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=TAMC2348&P=K

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.