Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:48 PM
powerslider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

Yeah those aren't high quality batteries, if you can take them back I would. Try to get packs with Ener G or EP cells. SPC , Pro Match have good prices on batteries that are high quality and able to withstand high amp draw. Also the battery construction make a big difference, the stick packs have the cells joined with thin metal strips that get hot and melt the shrinkwrap. The better SXS constructed batteries use heavy battery bars joining the cells...
Old 01-02-2009, 07:54 PM
cartronicshn

ORIGINAL: powerslider

Well you know now that your slipper was too loose, replace the slipper rings and the spur gear then adjust it so it only slips for a couple of feet on hard acceleration from a stop. What gearing are you running? Have you stripped the idler gear yet in the trans? 3s is go to be hard on the drivetrain, 2s would be better for bashing....
Thanks for the reply, i was hoping for info on better stuff then stock, i was geared 88t, 84t spur gears respectively on 21t pinion, on the idler question, i have stripped 2 already doing some jumping, but i had some spares for it already, i guess i was looking for metal gears and better slipped pads.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:05 PM
powerslider

Your geared way to high for 3s, from the speed calculator your current gearing is for over 80mph lol. Try 12/90, that's still high 40's. how fast do you need to go????
Old 01-02-2009, 08:18 PM
cartronicshn

I only used my truck for bashing once in a while, i have tried to radar it, and i have onlt been able to clock it at 44 mph before it became airborne and backflipped every single time, i guess i will take your advice and gear down so i can drive it more than a couple of times before things start melting in there
Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 PM
powerslider

Do you have any other batteries? The 5700 on 3s is turning over 70,000 rpm, it won't last long at that rate. The bearings will probably go first but the magnet could let go also. You should either get a 2s battery or go to a lower kv motor like the 3500kv VXL or a 3300kv Medusa...
Old 01-02-2009, 08:42 PM
cartronicshn

Well i do have 2s packs, a bunch 6,7 and 8 cell nimh form maxmps mostly, my lipo are elite packs, and i also thought that the 5700kv was rated for a 3s? i have a couple lower kv motors 3300kv.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:48 PM
allE

The 5700 on 3s is turning over 70,000 rpm, it won't last long at that rate
Where do you get those rpm numbers??? You would have to have a 20,000mah battery for it not to drop any voltage.

I run the 5700 and 3s it's quiet fast and been running for several months with no issues except 1 stripped idler gear.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:48 PM
powerslider

Well then with the 3s run the 3300 motor geared 21/90 with the stock diameter tires you'll be in the high 40's. That will be much better than what your at now, try it....
Old 01-02-2009, 08:52 PM
cartronicshn

Will do[8D]
Old 01-02-2009, 09:39 PM
powerslider

That's very true but unless you know the actual measured correct numbers anything you use is wrong, there's way to many varibles from one setup to the next so I just plug in the high or worst case scenerio and use it for comparison. If someone were to full throttle ( and I hope they don't) that motor unloaded with a fresh charged pack I suspect the rpm would be pretty high. Under load it's anyones guess but to me he has other options for a better setup...
Old 01-02-2009, 09:44 PM
SquireSCA

Can I throw some Lipo packs in the DT with the current ESC and stock motor?

I am wondering if I had am 8.4V Lipo, would I get considerably longer run times?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:59 PM
powerslider

Yes you could run a 2s pack, the higher the pack capacity (MA) the longer it will last however you need a low voltage cutoff so you don't overdischarge the lipo and damage it. If your planning on a brushless setup in the near future I would just wait until then. The brushless esc's have the lvc.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:46 PM
allE

I'll agree that now matter how you gear the DT the 5700 on 3s is way too much power for off road. I run my 5700 one on-road. For my track the stock brushed one on 2s is plenty fast enough. As far as Castle combo's go the 4600 on 2s would be plenty of power for off road and give good run time too.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:30 AM
powerslider

I agree that the 5700 on 3s in a 10thst is just way to much, you can't use that much power. It'll be on it's lid more than not or broke and that's not much fun to me. I tried that on 3s in my E Firestorm and you can't use but a fraction of the throttle or it just wheelies over. I run the Xcellerin 6400 system in my DT on 2s geared at 16/90 and that is more than enough.

I have a Slash with the MM and a Medusa 3300kv running on 3s, that is all this truck can handle for power in normal bashing. The longer wheelbase and weight of the Slash make it more tolerant to 3s power, it's a fun setup but you need throttle control to keep the rubber side down.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:09 PM
BigBrett

Hey guys I just want to intro myself !! I just got my DT and have not had a good chance to run it fully yet waiting for my batts to charge !!
I guess I need to know some things about what is the weak points ? What gear on the stock motor is the best ? What tires is everyone running ?

Also why hasnt anyone started a Losi DT club and website ? being there is lst's and savages and so on !!

Thanks for the help oh and Im not a newby to rc's I do race trucks but I race Monster trucks like monster jam style racing , aka No Limit RC racing !

BigBrett
Old 01-04-2009, 09:12 AM
powerslider

Hi Brett,

No real weak points running the stock setup, the stock gearing is good for most everything except deep grass, check your temps often when you first run and go easy on throttle for a couple packs to allow the motor brushes to break in. Lube the motor bushings and keep it clean. A thin breatheable fabric wrapped around the motor will keep dirt and debrie out so it will last longer. I run Gladiators in the rear as the stock tires don't grab very well with brushless power. Drive it a while then see where you want to make improvements.....

Old 01-04-2009, 12:37 PM
SquireSCA

What do you guys think of dropping in a Traxxas Velineon system into the DT?
Old 01-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Money_Pit_Racing
My Feedback: (2)

I have a DT with a Traxxas Velineon system. It does pretty good with 6 cell 3900 and 4500 rocket packs. I have it geared at 30 pinion 76 kevlar spur. Does 35-40Mph. Almost have enough for the hyperion duo charger and a couple of lipos.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:53 PM
SquireSCA

Anyone know what it means when you are turned all the way to the right, and when you give it full throttle, there is a sorta clunking sound? It doesn't sound like a gear skipping a tooth, I checked the spur and large gear and it would be stripped if that was the case.

I want to say it is something in the differential. It doesn't effect how it runs or anything, seems fine, but when it is under load and turned all the way to the right at full throttle, it makes that noise. On the hardwood floors, the tires just spin and it doesn't make the noise.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:20 PM
powerslider

Couple possibilities on the noise, check the right dogbone for rubbing on the spur gear cover and the front tires may rub the body on a sharp turn with the suspension compressed.

Velineon motor is good but to me the Sidewinder or MM is a better esc, much more adjustable and less problems...
Old 01-04-2009, 08:58 PM
SquireSCA

I think that's the culprit. I got some white Losi wheels and some ProLine Dirt Hawg tires for more grip in the dirt today, and when I turn the wheel all the way to the right, the knobs hit the body of the truck. If it really annoys me, I will get some scissors and trim the truck body so it doesn't hit it.

Thanks!

And I
Old 01-05-2009, 03:11 AM
sumpterdtx2

will the novak gtb 7.5 velocity system work with the dt or do you need to get the gtb spectrum system, and what top speed should i expect with this system.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Sh1mmy

Hey all,

After a bit of debating with myself, I layed down some dough and bought myself one of these today (first RC), along with a couple of batts and a charger.

a couple of questions though...

Is the chassis with EA3 on it stonger or different?

Do all the parts on the XXX-T fit on the desert truck?

What would be an ideal servo to upgrade to?, I thought the stock one seemed kinda weak sometimes.

Is there a way to adjust rear toe in?, as mine seems to have a fair bit and (to me) seems that the rear right has more than the rear left (not much, only just).

Any ideas as to what the motor's specs are in a more normal terminology (from what I've seen anyway), as eventually I would like to upgrade it, but don't know what I'm starting with to compared with something else (don't really want to go brushless, as much as I would like to, but I don't want to be continuously breaking parts and stripping idler gears).

Well thats all I can think of right now, I'm sure there will be more later.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.

PS: sorry If these topics have already been discused, just didn't feel like going through 38 pages to find what I'm after.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Damo_MadTruck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, im thinking of buying one. Do you think it will do good enough for occasional racing??
Old 01-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Sh1mmy

ORIGINAL: Damo_MadTruck

Hey, im thinking of buying one. Do you think it will do good enough for occasional racing??

Well, to my understanding it is based off the XXX-T, which I have read is a proven world champion winner.
So it should be good enough for ocasional racing (I'm thinking about giving it a go soon aswell).

From the 1 batt I put through it earlier, goin up and down the drive way (mostly concrete with a bit of blue metal and gravel) it seems to handle quite well (although take that anyway you want since it;s my first 'real' RC).

Also going by the research I did before buying my DT, the other main one that I got the general feeling of that was a decent first time racer is the Duratrax Evader.
The Traxxas Rustler I thought the general opinion was it is virtually strictly a basher unless ya load a lot of money into upgrading it, and aparantly it handles bad? (easy to spin out etc...)
The HPI E-Firestorm I've read is really tough, esp the tranny... how that does on a track I don't know (didn't read that much about them to be honest).

Take that as you would a grain of salt if ya want, thats just what I found during my bit of research.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.