Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:38 PM
allE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

I've been thinking for a while about getting the mini DT. So what the heck I went ahead and got one. I really didn't have high expectations for it. I put in the Castle Mamba Micro before I ever drove it. It actually does pretty good!! The stock shocks are crap and it comes with bushings instead of wheel bearings so , both of those are getting upgrades next week. All in all a pretty good truck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63916.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1129798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98570.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1129799  
Old 02-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Dwhitzdad

I run the DT on a indoor technical track and I use the stock spur gear and a 14T pinion and I think it does fairly well in the turns and on the jumps. I have better luck with the 15T and stock pinion gear though.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:17 PM
goedmonds

I gound up an Oring inside my differential. I am trying to get Losi to include the Orings with "LOSA2934 Outdrives w/Pins, Steel: DT", as these are a consumable part like the Outdrives. Anyone have spec's for the Orings and a supplier that stocks them. Losa only supplies them with the complete differential "LOSA2930 Diff Set, Complete: DT". The one's I got at ACE Hardware where not a match.

Chris
Old 02-16-2009, 11:52 AM
cartronicshn

ORIGINAL: SquireSCA

THe only downside to the DT that I can see is that it breaks fairly easy. The front bumper is not very sturdy, so a decent hit will not protect the steering arms and stuff from getting bent.

But it handles really well, it flies through the air amazingly well, totally balanced, and now that Robinson Racing is putting out a steel idler gear and diff, the DT will finally be able to truly handle brushless power.

Many people run brushless, but the plastic idler gear is really easy to strip, so you have to take it easy. Now we will be able to thrash it all we want.
Any updates/news on the Robinson gears? i was at their site and didn't see any mention on them.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:54 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: Dwhitzdad

I run the DT on a indoor technical track and I use the stock spur gear and a 14T pinion and I think it does fairly well in the turns and on the jumps. I have better luck with the 15T and stock pinion gear though.
Someone told me to try the orange spur, I took the green spur off. I guess if you have not had any heat issues the stock spur is fine.
I tried the green one at first but it seemed to have more top speed for speed runs, so I switched it out.

It jumps fine with the stock springs, I never felt the need to change it.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 PM
ace9213

i'm getting one of these trucks. are the durable? what should i upgrade if I get it. im not going to bash it too hard. is the truck water proof?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:20 PM
SquireSCA

If you want waterproof, get a Traxxas.

It is fairly durable, but again, not as rugged as the Traxxas trucks seem to be.

However, it will outrun and out handle my Slash VXL and Stampede VXL all day long. Run and jump circles around them. All I did to the DT was throw in a Sidewinder 5700kV system and add 7-Cell NiMH packs, and the thing is a rocket. I can only imagine what it would do on LiPo. But with stock gearing, it is much faster than the other brushless trucks I have, and handles better in the dirt and jumps better.

The Traxxas trucks though, seem to be better bashers and take more of a beating.

You won't be disappointed though, just don't smash into anything too hard, and you will love how the DT drives.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:38 PM
goedmonds

I put a Sidewinder / 4600 system in my DT and I am very happy with the results. Also the Proline Switch tires are great on our paved oval. Chris
Old 02-19-2009, 01:27 AM
sumpterdtx2

i put the novak gtb 7.5 in mine with no transmission issues yet. stock gearing. jumps great, flips frequently (bad driver) holding up great so far. son hit a post straight on with his and broke the front end, better to break cheep pieces than the chassis. no real complaints so far. tires just don't hook up at all even on pavement.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:34 PM
goedmonds

ORIGINAL: goedmonds

I gound up an Oring inside my differential. I am trying to get Losi to include the Orings with "LOSA2934 Outdrives w/Pins, Steel: DT", as these are a consumable part like the Outdrives. Anyone have spec's for the Orings and a supplier that stocks them. Losa only supplies them with the complete differential "LOSA2930 Diff Set, Complete: DT". The one's I got at ACE Hardware where not a match.

Chris
Well I ground up another Oring in the differential today. Going to have to find a source for them. Chris
Old 02-23-2009, 08:57 AM
goedmonds

Still in search for the best tire for my DT. With the sidewinder esc and 4600 motor, I am over powering our small paved oval track. But the power sure is fun. Chris
Old 02-23-2009, 10:14 AM
SquireSCA

Still in search for the best tire for my DT. With the sidewinder esc and 4600 motor, I am over powering our small paved oval track. But the power sure is fun. Chris
The problem is that it is a lot of power in such a light agile truck. If you want really nice grip, try the Pro-Line Badlands. But they are taller than the stock tires, so you might have to trim the body a bit to keep them from rubbing. They will also give you more clearance, and because they are taller, the car will go faster, so you might want to drop the pinion gear a tooth or so.

I have the Sidewinder 5700kV system, and I am using 18/90 gearing. I put on a set of ribbed tired in the front, medium compound, and a set of Pro-Line Dirt Works on the rear.

Car runs and handles great, with 40w shock oil in the back, 50W up front, and the shocks set at the most "outward" positions. I set the punch control on the ESC to 20% to save my plastic idler gear until Robinson Racing releases the metal gear. Car rips, and that is just with 7-cell 4500MaH NiMH packs. Never tried LiPo for fear if shredding the tranny. LOL

Onless you go with a larger gripper tire like the Badlands, that much power in a truck like that is gonna overpower the wheels in the dirt or grass.

Throttle Contol might be your best bet. Play with the throttle curve on the ESC to limit punch off the line and in the midrange, and then go full power only at the very top for the long straightaways.

Having 70% power but less wheelspin, is better than 100% and just flinging dirt and not moving as fast. Same principles they use with traction control in MotoGP.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:30 PM
sumpterdtx2

has anyone tried to see if the losi highroller metal idler gear will work in the dt trans?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:37 PM
929rog

Never ever ever had an issue with a DT rear end. Brushless lipo in 2 trucks... I've even run a 7700 mamba on 3s lipo (dont do it) on the tar... no problems.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 PM
SquireSCA

ORIGINAL: 929rog

Never ever ever had an issue with a DT rear end. Brushless lipo in 2 trucks... I've even run a 7700 mamba on 3s lipo (dont do it) on the tar... no problems.
But keep in mind that those higher kV motors have less torque. More top end speed, yes, but the torque is lower.

I ripped out the idler gear with the Velineon 3500kV motor. No problems with the Sidewinder 5700kV so far.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Lilredmachine

The 4600, 5700 and 7700 mamba motors actually all have the same amount of torque. It's a common misconception that they have less the higher the KV.

I find it's best to think of it like this:

You have two body builders, each of equal strength, stamina, endurance etc. Each is given the task of lifting 500 kilos. One of the men chooses to do it in two lifts of 250 kilos, the other in 5 lifts of 100 kilos. The man doing it with 2 lifts will overexert himself in the process, straining muscles with the risk of injury, using energy real quick and burning himself out sooner than the other man. He is the 7700. The man lifting 100 kilos 5 times is the 4600. He takes longer but is under less strain and chance of injury. Once he has lifted 5x 100 kilos he is okay to do a few more.

Both men are equal, and lifting the same amount of weight but their method in doing so means they are totally different in terms of characteristics and suitability to tasks. Just like the Mamba motors all deliver the same torque but they way in which they deliver it and the amount of effort they put into wringing every last RPM out of the voltage supplied determines their usability, how fast they overheat, gearing sensitivity and therefore determines their application.

All CMS motors share the same magnet formation and strength, 2 pole architecture, and a 380 sized rotor. These all control how much torque a motor will produce. The only difference between them is the windings they are fitted with, and all that can affect is the maximum RPM per volt.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:38 PM
929rog

Right... and what I was getting at was I was running a 7700 motor on 3s lipo as crazy RPM with no problems. It will do back flips from a dead stop and flip on its lid as fast as you want to go, I just tried it a couple times and am careful as it will over-rev and kill the motor. I have a losi speed t set up as well. I dont care what people say... the 7700 will smoke the smaller motor I dont care how you gear it on the same battery.. low end, mid range, top end.. BUT, it also makes way more heat so you get limited with the bigger motor. Bottom line is any of the brushless motors on lipo are just damn crazy. I really like the losi speed t set up (I made it basically a DT) and it has worked great racing. On 2s with higher gear than a 7700 it works well. I am going to get a Castle 5700 for this year though. I only want to run 2s and that is a great set up.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:21 PM
goedmonds

Well, today I got my CastleLink cable and have the Sidewinder programed to get around our Paved Oval Track. I just built a profile for drag racing to test tomorrow. So cool. Plug it into the laptop and load a stored program. One can be a computer geek and RC racer both.

Chris
Old 02-26-2009, 09:48 PM
SquireSCA

Well, today I got my CastleLink cable and have the Sidewinder programed to get around our Paved Oval Track. I just built a profile for drag racing to test tomorrow. So cool. Plug it into the laptop and load a stored program. One can be a computer geek and RC racer both.

Chris
Yeah, it makes it real easy. That's how I tune most of my bikes. Plug them into my laptop and play with the fuel and ignition maps to get it where I want.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:06 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: 929rog

If your killing the transmission then, then either the slipper is way too tight or you have no grease in the diff or gears.
A 7700 is just for speed runs, I cant see myself running a motor that hot, unless it was an onroad car or something.

The only reason why I have not put more horsepower in mine is because I have not felt the need to, it's got plenty of grunt with the stock motor.
I even borrowed a freinds 2C Lipo to run with the stock electronics, I noticed a little difference because the truck was lighter.
Dont do this though because the stock esc doesnt have lipo cutoff.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:10 PM
cartronicshn

So, any updates on internal metal gears for the DT?
Old 02-28-2009, 04:21 PM
pede_187

ORIGINAL: cartronicshn

Robinson Racing (RR) is making a Steel Idler (part #9402) and an aluminum diff (#9400) for the XXX-T. I'm not sure if that would be a direct fit or if you would need the XXX-T Diff cases.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:52 PM
goedmonds

Anyone ever have interference issues with their 2.4GHZ Spread Spectrum radio systems? We think maybe the RV Parks wireless internet is causimg us issues from time to time! Chris
Old 03-02-2009, 11:46 AM
FoamyVictim

It shouldn't, in fact, the FCC enforces laws that don't allow that to happen. So unless the RV place has illegally set up 2.4 ghz systems(which I highly doubt), that's not your problem. Make sure your batteries are fully charged and working correctly. Try re-binding the receiver to the transmitter. Instructions for doing so are included with the truck.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:01 PM
OGsandman

ORIGINAL: pede_187

ORIGINAL: cartronicshn

Robinson Racing (RR) is making a Steel Idler (part #9402) and an aluminum diff (#9400) for the XXX-T. I'm not sure if that would be a direct fit or if you would need the XXX-T Diff cases.

So I went on the losi parts wasrehouse and did a search for xxx-t idler ...added to kart...then did a search for LDT ider...added to kart...

sure enough I have 2 of the same item in cart... So I guess the ider from RR should fit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.