Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:22 AM
SquireSCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

I ordered the CV set from Losi, got the part number from the DT owner's manual...

One of them works, the other one in the set doesn't. Both are the correct length and all, but the threading on the axle are not the same on both parts. One of them is slightly smaller than the other, and so the wheel nut doesn't thread properly. I took it out and tried the other one, and it worked perfectly. Is it supposed to be like that? Is one side slightly different than the other?

Why would I get a pack of CV/shafts, and have them not be identical to each other?

Weird. Good news is that I only needed one, so it worked out, but still.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Sorimatsu

will the a/t rear tires/wheels meant for the speed t fit this?
Old 03-28-2009, 06:34 PM
pede_187

ORIGINAL: trxsnewbie16

will the a/t rear tires/wheels meant for the speed t fit this?
Yes they will
Old 03-28-2009, 06:35 PM
powerslider

ORIGINAL: SquireSCA

I ordered the CV set from Losi, got the part number from the DT owner's manual...

One of them works, the other one in the set doesn't. Both are the correct length and all, but the threading on the axle are not the same on both parts. One of them is slightly smaller than the other, and so the wheel nut doesn't thread properly. I took it out and tried the other one, and it worked perfectly. Is it supposed to be like that? Is one side slightly different than the other?

Why would I get a pack of CV/shafts, and have them not be identical to each other?

Weird. Good news is that I only needed one, so it worked out, but still.

Call or E mail Horizon, they will take care of it. They should be the same...
Old 03-31-2009, 01:05 PM
w98seeng

So, I just bought my first new RC truck. I decided on the Losi Desert Truck because of the features it has compared to other trucks for the same money. Here are some pics of it. It's so new, it's still connected to some of the packaging.

What do I have to do before using the truck? (Besides taking it off the packaging ) Do I have to break in the motor? Adjust the slipper, gear mesh? Are these adjusted from the factory?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:09 PM
SquireSCA

First think that I would do is toss in a Brushless motor system. This truck absolutely rips with Brushless.

Or, you could just charge it and enjoy it as is. :-)

The thing about Brushless, is that you get more speed, longer run times with the same batteries, and you also don't have to worry about rebuilding the motor and replacing brushes and things like that...

in the end, Brushless ends up being cheaper when you factor in the time and money of maintenance.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:14 PM
w98seeng

First think that I would do is toss in a Brushless motor system. This truck absolutely rips with Brushless.
I have a brushless system I have in my Evader I was thinking of putting in. What about gearing with the brushless system?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:17 PM
SquireSCA

Not sure about gearing. I got apebble in my gearbox that ripped up the spur gear, so I replaced it with one that was a couple teeth higher than stock. I then put in a 19T pinion and it seems happy and wicked fast. Temps are acceptable. I also set the punch control at 20% on the ESC, to keep the front end on the ground most of the time.

I am using 7-cell NiMH packs.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:18 PM
929rog

Depends on the system. My 7700 I have to run around 16/90. My 4800 I run 18/86
Old 04-01-2009, 09:24 AM
dmerc
My Feedback: (67)

I've got the Castle 4600 Sidewinder combo installed a couple of days ago. I've got it on stock gearing right now and it hauls a**! The stock tires look cool, thats about it, I haven't tried them in dirt yet but hopefully that will work better because they suck on grass and pavement. I'm thinking about swapping the rears for some pins or dirt hawgs though, something that will handle grass and dirt well. Has anyone else just replaced the rear tires with a normal hex and pin style wheel, like a Rustler? I prefer that to the losi style that is on it. Oh yeah, I'm running it with 20-30 C 5000 MaH Lipos and Traxxas High current connectors on the stock DSM Tx/Rx.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:26 AM
FoamyVictim

Yup

Old 04-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Judu

I think ill buy this tire combo...LOSA7637S - Team Losi King Pin Rear Truck Tire w/Foam (Silver) and LOSA7505S - Team Losi Directional Rib Front Truck Tires (Silver)
What do u think about??

Thx!!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:54 AM
SquireSCA

Is there a way to convert the Desert Truck to use 1/8 scale buggy tires?

The reason that I ask, is that I converted my Traxxas Slash(with VXL brushless system) to 1/8 scale 17mm hex hubs and threw on some buggy tires, and the handling is way better. Good traction, but because it uses a bigger rim but low profile tire, it greatly reduces body-roll because the tires are not as squishy and don't mush around a lot. It doesn't flip as much in the turns as a result.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:19 AM
dmerc

The only problem I see would be the breakage of components due to the increased weight. Hub carriers axles would be broken before too long. I'm sure you could find parts to upgrade or modify it would work out. You would probably have to gear down a bit also or the motor will heat up a lot more. I haven't personally done this type of thing but some of the guys I know have and I guess it's one of those try it and find out things. Sometimes there are no problems, sometimes nothing but.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:23 AM
dmerc

They look good to me. The stock DT tires on brushless are worthless, stock motor they are okay but not in grass. I have pretty good luck with pin/spike style tires as an all-around solution. I would personally go with whatever has the most bite. What kind of surface are you running on?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 AM
SquireSCA

The weight difference is negligible. I am talking buggy tires, not truck tires. With the Slash, the 1/8 buggy tires are almost exactly the same diameter as the stock tires, so gearing and clearance are not issues.

The 1/8 would make for slightly taller than the stock Desert Truck tires, but not by much, and dropping 1 tooth on the pinion would take care of that I would think... The overall size is close, you just have more wheel and less tire, which makes for more stability and less roll.

Here is what the Slash looks like with the new wheels, and you can see how they are still proportional with the truck:

You can see the tires close to each other, and there is not much difference in height or scale:

The DT currently has stock Losi rims with HPI Geolander tires...

Old 04-02-2009, 11:10 AM
dmerc

You're probably right, they look very close. I have seen 420 series wheels and tires on some 10 scale ST s and that causes problems. The buggy tires are a lot smaller than I pictured. I'd say give it a shot. Is your DT brushless? How do those geolanders hook up? You may not even need to drop a pinion tooth as long as your temps are good with the bigger ones.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:38 PM
929rog

I'm actually doing the 1/8 scale wheel deal right now. They just built locally a paved oval and will start soon. They are going to have an 1/8th class and after a ton of research I'm going to extend a CR chassis (DT) and buy a Losi 1/8 late model body. The width is really close to a buggy late model and I bought carbon fiber to extend the frame. I have everything so if it sucks no big deal. I'm going to run my 7700 mamba/lipo and this should weigh ALOT less than an 1/8 scale. The only thing I'm worried about is the 4wd. I guess we'll see... still have snow but should be gone soon.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:55 PM
FoamyVictim

I really believe you should rethink that idea. That DT is very weak compared to the TANKS you'll be racing with. Granted, a lighter car will almost always handle better, but... they have 4WD, way more power, and I'm certain that body will be too heavy for that little truck. I think you'd be better off picking up an actual l8ight model.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:19 PM
929rog

you actually think I'l be underpowered with 7700 mamba with big lipos??? As far as the 4wd, that is really what I'm worried about. I can outrun a 8 on the street with my XXXT
Old 04-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Sorimatsu

The weight difference is negligible. I am talking buggy tires, not truck tires. With the Slash, the 1/8 buggy tires are almost exactly the same diameter as the stock tires, so gearing and clearance are not issues.

The 1/8 would make for slightly taller than the stock Desert Truck tires, but not by much, and dropping 1 tooth on the pinion would take care of that I would think... The overall size is close, you just have more wheel and less tire, which makes for more stability and less roll.

Here is what the Slash looks like with the new wheels, and you can see how they are still proportional with the truck:

You can see the tires close to each other, and there is not much difference in height or scale:

The DT currently has stock Losi rims with HPI Geolander tires...

what kind of tires are those on the slash and do they work well on hard dirt or should i get pins? and where can i find them.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:03 PM
SquireSCA

Yeah, Sidewinder 5700kV brushless system, 7-cell NiMH 4600mAh batteries, 19-tooth pinion.

The Geolanders hook up pretty nice, but still let it slide around a bit, which I like. When I want outright traction on grass or dirt, I have a set of ribbed front tires and ProLine Gator pins or something like that, large square pins that really dig in...
Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 PM
SquireSCA

The wheels/tires on the Slash are "Logics RD", and I got them at the local Hobby Towne USA for $20 a pair, pre-glued and ready to roll. They get better traction than the stock tires, but not quite as good as the Badland or Moab tires from ProLine.

You can also get them online, here:

http://www.rdlogics.com/cgi-bin/cate...217&type=store

And the 17mm hex hub conversion kit is made by FLM.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Sorimatsu

ok cool ill keep a lookout for those
Old 04-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Sorimatsu

so will badland 2.2's fit on without conversions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.