Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

Old 04-13-2009, 04:11 PM
FoamyVictim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

ORIGINAL: Frankfka

Is the DT really durable??like I dont want to break lots of stuff
Compared to other 10th scale trucks?... prolly about the same. Compared to 8th scale... simply put, NO.

If you want a tough, durable, fast and fun electric anything, convert an 8th scale. If you want a cheap, light-weight and fragile little truck that you have to fix all the time, close your eyes and point to any 10th scale truck ad, they're all about the same.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:47 PM
929rog

Sad to say this guy is right. I don't think these trucks were ever really designed to go 50+mph and blow the tires off the wheels with these big brushless set ups... Awful fun though!!! Just get some extra tie rods, ends, some suspension arms, extra chassis, front bulked, that should keep you going. Buy the stuff ahead of time off ebay as guys are parting out these and speed t trucks new all the time. I have just filled my third RC (my wife calls it the Retarded Car) box with parts now. I have at least two of everything spare off ebay most new and have saved a ton of money. I bet I could build at least two more trucks ( I have three) tonight. Really sucks when you break something on a sunday afternoon with no parts... My name is Roger and I have a problem...
Old 04-14-2009, 06:03 AM
ausjethro

Nice truck with pretty tough diff gear setup-much better than the losi speed-t which has a weak diff gear(nylon)and tyres which are only JUST suitable for dry tarmac conditions.I ditched the standard brushed motor and repaced it with a Mamba Max 5700 b/l motor/esc combo with 5000mah 7.4v lipo-nice quick little truck now!
IN THE GARAGE-
savage flux
e-revo-novak bl system
e-maxx- velineon bl system+cooling fan on ecs
rustler vxl
stampede vxl
losi desert truck-mamba max motor/esc
e-savage-novak 6.5 bl conversion
losi mini crawler
acme 1/8 scale crawler
losi speed-t-roller-diff melted 3 times!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:23 PM
929rog

Think about scale speed of these things... 600mph truck I don't even think Robby Gordon could drive that one... yikes
Old 04-14-2009, 02:52 PM
FoamyVictim

Yeah, the technology involved has advanced to a point where 60+ mph is relatively easy to do. Whether or not it's a good idea, is the question.

If speed is what you want, then 8th scale is tough enough to handle it. If "efficiency" is what you need, then 10th scale is a viable option.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:25 PM
mini 14

My Vortex epx pro 1/10 brushless will arrive day after tomarrow (Thursday) I liked the Losi but it was 2wd and not brushless.
I was wondering if anyone had Input on this desert truck.
I like Redcat and It comes with dean plugs, so I can use my Dtx 4600 nimh batteries from my SuperVee27
I'm new at this but I have to go electric as where I live thats all thats allowed.
any Input would be helpful, Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:45 PM
cartronicshn

ORIGINAL: mini 14

My Vortex epx pro 1/10 brushless will arrive day after tomarrow (Thursday) I liked the Losi but it was 2wd and not brushless.
I was wondering if anyone had Input on this desert truck.
I like Redcat and It comes with dean plugs, so I can use my Dtx 4600 nimh batteries from my SuperVee27
I'm new at this but I have to go electric as where I live thats all thats allowed.
any Input would be helpful, Thanks in advance.
I think you would be better off asking that question on the redcat support forum, the vortex looks like a slash copy, imho it should handle great with 4wd.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:41 PM
mini 14

True that cart, I just am feeling my way.
The Slash Is not Brushless It may be the copy but as a newbie.
I've been told for the money The Vortex has more bang for the buck.
I'll find out soon enough....LOL
I'll be putting Slash Tires on it thats for sure.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:40 AM
cartronicshn

Don't get me wrong, i own at least 4 redcats, for the money they are great entry level cars, just pointing out that you would get more feedback on the redcat forum.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:22 AM
goedmonds

I just do not understand all the hoopla about the Slash. They are not good looking, drive like my grandfathers 47 Olds with bad shocks, roll over easily, have a servo gear hanging out of the bottom of the pan, tires rub on the body, they break the same bearing carrier/steering hub that breaks on the Rustler and cost more than a Rustler XL-5.

Both the LHS' in Mesa, Az and here at home push them, why??????

If I was going to get a second truck (non Losi!) it would be a Rustler XL-5 plus ball bearings at four corners and running my sidewinder/4600 with the Losi spectrum radio and receiver.

But, then again, I will most likely buy another DT, as I have lots of motors and parts available for that.

Chris
Old 04-17-2009, 09:24 AM
FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: goedmonds

I just do not understand all the hoopla about the Slash. They are not good looking, drive like my grandfathers 47 Olds with bad shocks, roll over easily, have a servo gear hanging out of the bottom of the pan, tires rub on the body, they break the same bearing carrier/steering hub that breaks on the Rustler and cost more than a Rustler XL-5.

Both the LHS' in Mesa, Az and here at home push them, why??????

If I was going to get a second truck (non Losi!) it would be a Rustler XL-5 plus ball bearings at four corners and running my sidewinder/4600 with the Losi spectrum radio and receiver.

But, then again, I will most likely buy another DT, as I have lots of motors and parts available for that.

Chris
They appear slightly more "Scale" than many trucks and that's there sole appeal. They also handle like crap, so you can't tell the drivers have no skill. It's more like a basher class that happens to time the laps.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:39 AM
SquireSCA

I like the Slash because it is more scale, looks good and is very durable as a basher. And yeah, timing a bashing race is kinda cool itself.

The DT may be faster and handle better, but it is less realistic and break very easily.

I bend or break steering rods almost every time I run it. I have stripped spur gears. I broke the front end of the chassis off. A Losi wheel, the rim itself, ripped apart and snapped. Etc...

Another cool thing about the Slash is that because it is scale, when you are racing around a track and you bang into each other, your wheels don't get all tangled up because they stick 4" out from the side of the truck like they do on the DT or a Rustler.

I mean, they are just two totally different kinds of truck. One is scale and handles more like it. If you wanna be honest, a DT is traveling at what, 45mph with a Brushless motor? 30mph stock? That 30mph is like traveling 200mph, not too realistic when you slide through a turn or on pavement at 200mph. Would a real truck do that? LOL

My point is that the DT, because it is so wide and low, lets you be lazy with the handling, because you can drive it in ways that you would never drive a real truck. With the Slash, you have to be more precise, you can't just run it through turns where there is good traction at full throttle.

I love both trucks. The DT for sheer speed and agility, the Slash when I want to bash without having to replace parts every time. ;-)
Old 04-17-2009, 11:17 AM
goedmonds

Regarding DT handling! I raced two hours a day all winter in a retirement RV park in Arizona on a small paved oval. There were a lot of Rustlers, both XL-5's and VXL's, a Speed T, a Slash and a few DT's. The XL-5's drive like a 1/4 miget, that is they have the front wheels hard over and are sliding them thru the corners, the VXL's were to wild to stay on the track for 5 laps most of the time, the guy with the Speed T could not get it "tuned" to the track with the program card and I tried to get him to order the PC cable. My DT with a Epic 15T double wind was fast and won a lot, and with the sidewinder/4600 I was able to tune it to the track and won a lot. The DTs cornered in nice controlled 4 wheel drifts.

Yes, I broke a lot of parts. Front A frames, Camber link ends, front bumpers, front and rear chassie parts which I replaced with the carbor fiber upgraded parts. I broke a hub out of a stock wheel, but super glued it back in and it still is usable. I went thru a lot of tires, both DT stock and Proline Switches. I wore out outdrives in the diff a number of times and chewed up the o-rings in the diff a few times. I had the pin fall out of the join at the outter end of the dog bone. I broke the front shock tower. I finely stripped the plastic gear in the gear box on the way home showing off for friends in a camp ground. I tured the ESC way up and was showing off. The RPM front bumper is holding up well, but I have broken front A frames several times after installing it. I think it tends to push impacts off to the front wheels.

I found that the losi parts house in california great for ordering parts, with 2 days delivery to Gold Canyon, Az and very reasonable shipping cost.

What could Losi do better with the DT?

1. Better stock ESC that could handle a 7 or 8 cell.
2. Better stock motor. This 14 turn motor is not as good as the stock Rustler 12T.
3. Better link ends.
4. Carbor fiber the front and rear kick plates from the factory.

BUT! One has to decide what you really want to break. The stronger you make the small parts far out the more you move the damage into the core of the truck.

Chris
Old 04-17-2009, 05:06 PM
prometeo

Sorry, I'm an italian newbie with his Desert truck...with a Novak GTB 5.5 inside. [8D]
I wanted new front tires for better turning and, after reading some forums, I bought the Traxxas Rustler front tires...and now I can't understand how I can fit these tires into my Losi truck! :-(
Rustler tires have hexagonal hole, instead DT tires have a round hole, with a ball bearing inside...
Please help me...I love this truk!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 05:18 PM
FoamyVictim

You might want to just stick with the Losi wheels, and then you can put your choice of tire on them.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:55 PM
goedmonds

ORIGINAL: prometeo

Sorry, I'm an italian newbie with his Desert truck...with a Novak GTB 5.5 inside. [8D]
I wanted new front tires for better turning and, after reading some forums, I bought the Traxxas Rustler front tires...and now I can't understand how I can fit these tires into my Losi truck! :-(
Rustler tires have hexagonal hole, instead DT tires have a round hole, with a ball bearing inside...
Please help me...I love this truk!!!
That will not work with the Rustler wheels, mounting is completely different. Take the wheels and tires back. With a little work you can mount new tires on yours wheels. Rip them off (I do it bare handed), clean up the wheels and glue new 2.2 tires of your choice back on. OR buy another set of DT wheels. They do not cost that much, at least here in the states they are 10 something a set. Note: front and back are different. Chris
Old 04-18-2009, 08:52 AM
SquireSCA

What's cool about a Slash? You tell me...

Built like a tank. Upgraded to Brushless power, heavier shock oil, converted to 17mm hex hubs so that I can use 1/8th scale buggy wheels. The body is a Pro-Line Desert Rat, just a quick paint job, it looks better now since I completed the graphics.

In any case, it handles pretty well, and is pretty realistic. It also jumps the best out of all my trucks. Perfectly balanced, it flies straight and lands better than the DT does.

The Slash looks a lot bigger, so in some ways it seems slower than the DT, but I would say that top speed is within 2 or 3mph of each other...

The truck in the middle is a Stampede VXL. Fast and fun as a basher, not the best handling truck though. Hard to steer when it wheelies everywhere.

Has anyone seen a 17mm hex conversion for the DT? Would love to throw some 1/8 scale buggy tires on the DT, would make it handle even better!
Old 04-18-2009, 10:58 AM
FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: SquireSCA

What's cool about a Slash? You tell me...

Built like a tank. Upgraded to Brushless power, heavier shock oil, converted to 17mm hex hubs so that I can use 1/8th scale buggy wheels. The body is a Pro-Line Desert Rat, just a quick paint job, it looks better now since I completed the graphics.

In any case, it handles pretty well, and is pretty realistic. It also jumps the best out of all my trucks. Perfectly balanced, it flies straight and lands better than the DT does.

The Slash looks a lot bigger, so in some ways it seems slower than the DT, but I would say that top speed is within 2 or 3mph of each other...

The truck in the middle is a Stampede VXL. Fast and fun as a basher, not the best handling truck though. Hard to steer when it wheelies everywhere.

Has anyone seen a 17mm hex conversion for the DT? Would love to throw some 1/8 scale buggy tires on the DT, would make it handle even better!
The DT doesn't need 8th scale wheels to handle well, just buy some racing wheels and tires like you would for a XXX-T

Old 04-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Sorimatsu

my slash handles fine with 2.2 tires and wheels. and it doesnt handle like crap on the dirt where it was meant to be. i will say it is one of the worst things you could race on road though.and with the exception of the rear carriers almost nothing breaks on the slash easily
Old 04-19-2009, 02:29 AM
prometeo

Do you know if someone (pro-line?) produces an hex adaptor? It would be usefull to use other wheels...
Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 AM
FoamyVictim

There may be adapters, but you don't need them. Losi, Pro-line, Panther, etc, all sell great racing tires that fit the stock Losi wheels. You don't need to change them. That truck(in some form or another) has been raced consistently for years and years, trust me... they know what they are doing.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Brian Esser

New guy to the site, long time Losi fan and owner.

Here is my DT. Still waiting on my new body so I can start my Devil theme.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:54 PM
dmerc
My Feedback: (67)

Nice lookin DT, I have the red body also. Do the tires hook up good?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Brian Esser

Thanks!

Yeah, they are the Pro-Line Gladiator 2's. They are worlds better than the stock DT tires. Though they are a softer compound and not meant for pavement. I race in a stock class on clay so they work great.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:06 PM
dmerc
My Feedback: (67)

I might have to look into those. I agree the stock rubber is pointless. Do you have them on Losi 2.2 rims or are they a little bigger?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.