Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:24 AM
FoamyVictim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Losi Desert Truck Thread!

It's really weird... them turnbuckles... Half the time when I first got the truck, I'd bend them at some point or another. I just kept bending them back. Never had that issue on my XXX-T. Nowadays, it hasn't happened in a really long time... and I don't know why. The track layout was changed, but it stopped happening before that(my crash rate was no more or less frequent) Whereas my buddy with the same truck, still bends his every once in a while. I dunno.... ?
Old 04-25-2009, 08:49 AM
cartronicshn

Thanks those look good, any idea on better rod ends for these?
Old 04-26-2009, 04:46 AM
martin34

Hi guys i am sure that this has been asked before but i cant go back and read through 44 pages again.Could i run a 7 cell 8.4v in my standard truck or would it smoke the electrics?Thanks.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Brian Esser

It would cook your ESC.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:38 AM
pede_187

Just a little update on my truck and a quick question. Officially, my truck is a speed-t, however the way I have it set up it's basically a desert truck with a ball diff. Now, it's time for me to rebuild the diff and I think instead I'm going to go over to the Desert Truck diff. My question is, how has the Diff held up with the steel idler and the DT diff? Would just like to know if the steel idler would put more stress on the diff enough to cause problems with brushless.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:32 AM
powerslider

I don't think you'll have a problem with the diff, the weak point was the idler gear and now that's cured with the Robinson upgrade. I haven't had any problem with the diff at all other than wearing out the outdrives....
Old 05-02-2009, 10:39 AM
pede_187

ORIGINAL: powerslider

I don't think you'll have a problem with the diff, the weak point was the idler gear and now that's cured with the Robinson upgrade. I haven't had any problem with the diff at all other than wearing out the outdrives....
Thanks
Old 05-02-2009, 11:12 AM
powerslider

any time...
Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 PM
goedmonds

I wear out the outdrives all the time. And I have crewed up O-rings in the diff a couple times. I have the steel intermediate gear to go in it next time I loose that gear. Do you grease the new steel gear??? Oh, and I am working with a friend at O-rings West in Seattle to source the o-rings. He sent me some to try. The Poly one fit nicely.

Chris
Old 05-02-2009, 09:21 PM
powerslider

Yes they should be greased (steel gears)
Old 05-22-2009, 05:06 PM
ElectricGuy007

Would you have to do anything to the tranny to run a mild 8.5-9.5 system in the desert truck?
I have heard people say the tranny is fine and others say they need the aluminum idler, but if you replace
the idler the have to replace the diff gear also because it will get chewed up so ive heard.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:33 PM
ausjethro

I have been running a Mamba Sidewinder brushless motor/esc combo in my desert truck for about 6 months now using a 5000mah 7.4v lipo and have had NO problems so far.The only changes I have made is to add the wheelie bar from my losi speed-t( which keeps stripping the diff gear.)Just make sure the slipper clutch is fairly tight before and after running the desert truck.I have driven it on most surfaces-grass,bitumen,loose gravel,pavements and it has held up well considering i drive my cars pretty hard.Hope this info helps.
ausjethro.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:58 PM
powerslider

I broke the first idler gear but the replacement has held up ok although I did boil it before installing it so maybe that helped but I have the steel Robinson in case this ones goes. Some people have them fail and others don't but get whatever brushless system you want as the only potential weak spot is the idler gear and that is easily now cured. The diff and diff gear is fine, no need to worry about that and you don't need to change it when installing the steel idler. I run the Xcellerin 6400 system on 2s, plenty of power and speed...

Old 05-23-2009, 04:35 PM
mevely

Hi Guys,
I own a Losi DT and I decided to extend the rollcage concept, enjoy !
I run it with a sidewinder Esc and 4600 Motor + Orion 4800 Lipo 2S

Old 05-23-2009, 06:51 PM
pede_187

WOW! That looks awesome dude!!!
Old 05-24-2009, 01:48 PM
ElectricGuy007

That does look good. If it had buggy wheels on it it would look like a desert buggy instead of a truck.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:48 PM
mail4ajo

Quick questions. I am planning to get a DT soon. Wanted to know:

1. Does the DT still come with the Spectrum Radio? Can this radio be used on other models or are they fixed only for Losi? I have 2 other nitros and one electric, want to know if I can use the radio as a common radio?

2. What tires are good to take the DT on road. We have an onroad track coming up soon.

3. What brushless combos, I can look at for upgrade? Can I retain the the 4200mah NiMH for brushless?

4. What RPM upgrades work best for the DT?

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:34 PM
FoamyVictim

Quick questions. I am planning to get a DT soon. Wanted to know:

1. Does the DT still come with the Spectrum Radio? Can this radio be used on other models or are they fixed only for Losi? I have 2 other nitros and one electric, want to know if I can use the radio as a common radio?

Yes. But it's not digital, and does not have multi car memory. That means, that every time you switched cars, you'd have to set it up all over again as if you just installed it.

2. What tires are good to take the DT on road. We have an onroad track coming up soon.

The stock tires work just fine on the pavement.

3. What brushless combos, I can look at for upgrade? Can I retain the the 4200mah NiMH for brushless?

Check to see what motors they allow people to run in the race you plan to enter. It's be kind silly to buy a 5.5 and realize its a 10.5 class. That battery will work, but it won't be as fast as a similar sized Lipo.

4. What RPM upgrades work best for the DT?

Ihave no idea, Iraced mine nearly stock for over a year. Iinstalled a brushless system, different servo and receiver, but that's it.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:46 PM
ElectricGuy007

I've been running my desert truck out front in the yard, have not drivin' it in over 5 months,
I really like how this thing drives. A guy at the track gave me some free batteries at the track
and I've been using them. 2 3800 SMC matched side by side packs and 4 4200 IB's side by side,
I'm afraid to charge the 4200 packs because they need to be shoe gooed again and are falling apart.
The voltage rating on these packs is crazy. The 3800's have 6 amps on them,
but I usually charge them at 3.5 amps.
I've been getting close to 15 mins of runtime with the 3800's. I have not tried the 4200's yet.
Just trying to bring these packs back to life.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:30 AM
KvilleKrawler
My Feedback: (2)

Ihave a 1/10 Losi Desert Truck for sale for $200 shipped in the US. It comes with a 6 cell 3000 Mah NiMh battery and has a Losi FMSynthesized Radio and Receiver, HPIJolt+R ESC and a 27 turn motor. Will include ACslow charger with it. Everything you need to run it is included. It is in excellent condition. The tires even look brand new on it.

www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm
Old 06-07-2009, 02:46 PM
MarcP1971
My Feedback: (13)

I recently got a Losi DT in trade and was excited to run it this weekend against a bunch of Slashs. I am a little annoyed now because in the course of about 1 hour I broke a front suspension arm and one of the turnbuckle eyes that hold the rear suspension.

I want to beef up the suspension, but cant find any aftermarket parts?? I am sure I am not the only one having this issue. What are you guys doing? I am planning on adding a brushless system soon.

Here is a pic of my DT and the rest of my fleet....I want the DT to be as durable as my Stampede....is that asking too much?

Old 06-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Sh1mmy

Well simply put, the DT doesn't have the kind of support and fan base the stampy does, you arn't gonna find the same kind of aftermarted parts.

As to beefing up the suspension, I spose I can see why you can use the HD rod ends instead of the ball and cup, just a matter of getting the HD rod ends and some bolts and nuts I guess.
A-Arms, the EA3 compound ones are meant to be a bit more basher friendly I think, other than that theres the graphite arms.
Titanium rods and thats about all I can think of...

I have about 90-95 runs on mine by now and the only things I have to say I have had problems with are the shocks, mine leaked quite bad out of the box, but some free o-rings helped out a lot, other than that I once broke an A-arm, which was my fault, near full throttle straight into a starpicket and just yesterday broke a pin in one of the cvd's, which I suppose with brushless and that many runs on it is to be expected.
I often wonder what some people expect from these and what they do with them and what happened when a certain part breaks that causes them to complain about them so much, every single forum I have been on there has been a thread where people go to complain about it (wether it was intentional or not).

I have a Hobbywing brushless in mine (60a+9t combo) which I hope to be upgrading the motor to a 540 size brushless around 3500-4200 kv, or the 350 VXL motor.

On another note, I am looking to get some parts from losiparthouse within the next couple of days and was wondering if anyone here reckons I should grab something else while I am there?
Main thing I am ordering is the CVD rebuild kit. Other than that, a couple of pinons, 84t spur gear, slipper pads, outdrives, some screws (have managed to strip a couple), axle pins (surprised I havn't lost any so far), spare e-clips, and the steel idler gear (not that I need it at the moment, just figure I might one day).
Old 06-10-2009, 09:49 AM
cartronicshn

Definetly get the steel idler for the brushless power, i was killing the plastic ones with my mamba 5700 motor on jumps and landings on the throttle.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 AM
ChargerMetal

So i've googled robinson idler upgrade for DT and can't find anything. Where can I get one of these steel idler gears?

Old 06-16-2009, 10:34 PM
OGsandman

I believe its the xxx t steele idler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.