Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Got outerwears for my Slash 4x4 Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Freezetron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got outerwears for my Slash 4x4 Ultimate

Been waiting to do my maiden drive with my new Slash 4x4 Ultimate until I got my blue Outerwears chassis covers. I've had good luck wit their products in the past, especially on my Baja 5T so I figured i'd give it a shot on my Slash and see how well it does for keeping it clean which I intend to find out tomorro hopefully.

Installation was pretty easy once I got a plan. First part was to clean the surfaces with some rubbing alcohol to make sure the velcro sticks well.

After that it was just a matter of measuring with my eye, trimming and applying the velcro in sections

I heard that some peeps wern't sure how to keep the back end sealed vs the 2wd Slash cover. A guy in a random forum suggested putting velcro on the gear cover and then pinching the mesh closed.

After about an hour, I was all done. The instructions state to let the velcro adhere to the surface for 24 hours. Dunno if thats really necassary but i'll let it sit overnight regardless.

With the velcro on the gear cover, I can still easily remove the cover and also have the cover mesh attached to keep junk outa the chassis. Works for me!

I"ll post my run, impressions and results of the cover in the crappy weather outside tomorroo along with pics and maybe a vid, stay tuned!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Stryker USMC

Default RE: Got outerwears for my Slash 4x4 Ultimate

Staying tuned.......

Do they have a cover that can fit a 2 wheel drive slash (well, actually a extended Rustler)?

I really like how simple it is to remove and how breathable it looks.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Freezetron

Yep, they make a 2wd Slash version also
Old 01-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Freezetron

Finally managed to get enough energy with my cold to go outside and give the slash its maiden voyage and to see how well the outerwears did as well as the truck itself as it being my first SC truck. I"ll let the pictures do the talking. It was a combo of ice, slush, water and concrete driving all around.

The outerwears did a decent job of keeping out most of the major stuff, some water got in, but I expected that. I imagine it will do better in dry stuff or mud which I may or may not test out. All in all, I was pleased with the outerwears. I was also very pleased at how easy it was to take apart the Slash 4x4 and get it into parts to check and dry out, traxxas definently did their homework on the design of the vehicle. And any way you slice it, the ability to rinse an RC truck in the bath tub without hurting it is very nice!

As far as the driving experience with my first slash 4x4, it was mixed. I immediately concluded that the Slash doesn't have a chance in hell of being a decent basher in comparison to my Flux. I got high centered on the smallest snow and dirt piles that my Flux would have laughed at in comparison. The handling was definentely sharp and crisp, a nice change from my lug of beast that the Flux is. The Slash 4x4 ult had decent power with the stock 7 cell nimh, however, it was like entirely different truck when I put in my 2s Turnigy 5200 lipo. Throttle response was immediately better along with crisper acceleration and just more power all around in comparison to the cell. 3s on this thing would be insane, never mind being on a track. I've been hearing some weakpoints in the design that 3s tends to bring out with the Slash 4x4 so I may or may not pursue that much power.

In all, I was dissapointed in the Slash 4x4's bashing ability, I definentely won't be taking this thing on any major offroad adventures, my Flux will provide in that area. However, once I got over the intital dissapointment of the truck, I could imagine it would be alot more enjoyable on a track, especially with other people around. Part of me wants to sell it and wait and see if SC racing will take off in my area. The other part of me is pleased with the design and layout of the truck, ease of diassembly and cleaning and maintanence and makes me wanna keep it longer till I get some runs in on a track with some of the local guys and their SC trucks. I won't be doing much for upgrades or mods in the future until I decide if the truck is worth keeping.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Stryker USMC

Outstanding post

Very informative andunbiasedas an opinion. I really like hearing from owners like you.

I really hope you can find a "fun factor" balance with your truck. There are sooooooo many Slash 4x4 owners out there with great ideas on how to improve the truck and so many vendors out there trying to get your dollars that improvements will come that will ultimately make you happy with your new truck.

Everyone wants a lower center of gravity andextendeda-arms tostabilize the model. So much so, that I can't see the aftermarket not hopping on the opportunity to be the first with a kit. Look what SC racers have done to their 2x2 Slashes, they've sandwiched chassis to drop batteries and ESCs and so forth. And those seem to work for the racers. Theinnovation comes from the customers and from what they want to see. Some people like the high COG so they can monster truck their 4x4. Chimera-A is a great example of turning a platform into something someone wants based on their idea of a fun vehicle.

I love the pictures you've taken and look forward to more. I look forward to you tinkering and informing the world of the GREAT discovery that a Jammin part and an AE part merged (with the help of a dremel) resulting in a Slash 4x4 Mod that the world has never seen.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Freezetron

Went and took the Slash for a drive in the snow a few days ago and had better results.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

freeze, do something about your photobucket....I wanna see the other pictures
Old 01-23-2011, 07:54 AM
guys2nv

Awesome Freeze, I love that after shot where it's pulled up, I ordered a green one for my slash 4x4. I hope they make one for the Pede 4x4. I was looking at the sc10 one and it seems about the right size for the pede 4x4 but i'm not spending another $30 and hope it fits.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:21 AM
res3567

Yea dude same here!!!!
ORIGINAL: Brainanator

freeze, do something about your photobucket....I wanna see the other pictures
Old 01-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Freezetron

I know, I need to pay for the damn account again. I'm planning on just purchasing a years worth so I don't have to mess with it again
Old 01-23-2011, 09:41 PM
res3567

Awesome pics! Thge 4wd Slash is gone be my next Electric RC vehicle.....Good job!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Brainanator

wait...you pay to host pictures online? [:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 01-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

wait...you pay to host pictures online? [:'(][:'(][:'(]

If you got a better idea let me know. And no, i'm not building a damn server either
Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Brainanator

delete old stuff / use a different host (or multiple) / don't upload to an account / just use the built in forum host (sometimes it's really buggy though, so I understand this one)