Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Losi Desert truck vs Hpi firestorm

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 04:05 AM
kurtistjustic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Losi Desert truck vs Hpi firestorm

i
Old 04-19-2008, 04:11 AM
kurtistjustic

I have firestorm and love it have evader shockers w hard green springs all aluminum front end duratrax 12tesc and orion 13t motor and it takes a beating but i also have t-bone bumpers front and back which have probrably saved a dollar or two but i like the look of the desert truck and will probrably get one when there avalible. have to see some reviews first but i definetly like the firestorm!
Old 04-20-2008, 06:31 AM
astroboycp

I would think the firestorm is the way to go, I've one and it really rocks. I don't know much about the losi though so no comments.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:41 PM
ESB

Ive had my XXXt for about 4 years and have only replaced motor once, batteries, and tires. All bashing and have never had any tranny trouble.
My dad will be getting the Losi desert truck soon. It simply looks better in our opinion and has the lights which are also cool.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:46 PM
rossiman

dont know anything about the hpi other than they make solid stuff but the desert truck just has a cool original cosmetic design to it plus i like the wet 4 gear diff it comes with that will for sure have no problem holding up to a high power brushless. plus it has alot of suspesion travel and good ground clearence not saying its gonna handle good but it sure looks like it will, time will tell when i get one and start messing with tuning.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Damo_MadTruck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, i have the same question, what do you guys think, desert truck or e-firestorm??
Old 01-09-2009, 11:51 AM
clamber

I've had both and Im having tons more fun with the E-Firestorm Flux.

I had a sidewinder 5700 in my DT btw.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Access

E-firestorm is deceptively durable, despite the looks I haven't broken anything, and the transmission is really smooth and quiet.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:49 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: Access

E-firestorm is deceptively durable, despite the looks I haven't broken anything, and the transmission is really smooth and quiet.
Thats one thing that i really notice is how quiet the firestorm is compared to other rc's...Like my TL01 screams by at 27mph then my Firestorm goes by at around 40mph and is almost silent.....Almost makes it feel slower just because its so quiet.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Access

It probably makes some difference on efficiency and runtime too, noise is caused by what: vibration, ringing, resonance, etc. all of which waste energy. If it's running silent, it's either doing a really good to 'cover up' the noise, or it's just naturally more efficient and you're losing less energy in the transmission.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:35 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You said brushless and basher in the same sentence. HPI is the way to got. The Losi will trans will not live very long bashing it with a brushless motor on board.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:08 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: clamber

Great to here a perspective from someone that's had both. What aspects of the E-Firestorm Flux performance did you find more enjoyable than the Desert Truck with 5700? Desert Truck out of the box comes with bigger tires, longer wheelbase, and also looks great, seems as though it would be more off-roadable than the E-Firestorm. Is it just that the E-Firestorm is more responsive that makes it a better drive?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: john01374

The Losi will trans will not live very long bashing it with a brushless motor on board.
DIFF OIL WILL FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!

WOW, it is like you people bash something if it doesnt work the forst time. You have to experiment to see what works best. Diff oil anywhere from 5-10.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Damo_MadTruck

Watch this video, its the desert truck racing 3 slashes and the desert truck wins.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ctLLOptxM
Old 01-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Almighty ODST

ORIGINAL: Damo_MadTruck

Watch this video, its the desert truck racing 3 slashes and the desert truck wins.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ctLLOptxM
I wonder why it won... The DT is based off a proven racing chassis (XXXT) and the slash is big and heavy with tonssss of body roll due to the suspension being so soft to be more scale.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: Almighty ODST
I wonder why it won... The DT is based off a proven racing chassis (XXXT) and the slash is big and heavy with tonssss of body roll due to the suspension being so soft to be more scale.
B'cos it's the driver not the truck, that's the way it almost always is.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:47 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: clamber

I have both also, it's just hard to say which one is more durable than the other.
The Turnbuckles on the desert truck I have found out they bend easy but that was due to slashes pushing me around
like a rag doll(not my fault of course). Other than that they are about the same on durability, I have not broken an A-arm on either.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:01 PM
powerslider

Anybody know where I can get some really good diff lube that'll grow new teeth on a stripped idler gear???

But seriously, I boiled the replacement and have not had any problem with it after many runs with the same setup that took it out. Good truck, just has one slight weakness that could be easily improved....
Old 02-26-2009, 01:34 PM
slackertrash

my friend just bought the losi desert truck with a castle sidewinder system and it is insane for bashing and on the track. the suspension soaks up anything you throw at it. i will be replacing my brushless t3 with one shortly. losi hands down
Old 02-26-2009, 02:16 PM
ludeman

Sorry to say I have had 3 losi's all had tranny probs [:'(] But I guess they do use a new gear for the DT so not sure. I just dont trust Losi tranny's, twice bitten ya know.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:02 PM
eaterofdog
My Feedback: (1)

I bought an E Firestorm to bash with when I can't fly my helis. Then I put a Hobbywing 10T system in it. Basically I just rag the crap out of it and then throw it in the corner when I get home. Running into things, 35 mph cartwheels, huge jumps and all that. I haven't had to fix a single thing yet. I think the brushless system is going to blow these back tires off the rim soon, otherwise it seems to be holding up great.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:16 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: Access

The guys at the track told me the transmission sounds so sweet, I wish my T4 sounded like yours....lol
That makes 2 of us, The owner at the track was like your running that truck here when we dont stock parts for it,
if you break something your just out of luck. I told him people have yet to break this truck.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:25 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The desert truck is strong, fast, and the suspention is better than the firestorm, it works so well. The rough dunes at glamis are like nothing. And it handles jumps great! I dont like the firestorm because i have seen it break from softer crashes than the desert truck and the suspention isnt as good.