Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Vintage Stadium Blitzer on Ebay
14.81%
Blackfoot Extreme
44.44%
Lunch Box
40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Tamiya Basher

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 PM
rymansl2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Basher

I guess I'll diverge into my own thread now

I'm looking to get a Tamiya kit that I can use as a basher. My Evader has been giving me problems and I don't want to bash my Durga so I need a new basher to replace the Vader. I'd like to stay cheap as possible. I'm not gonna hop this kit up. Preferably the price should be $130 max. Under $100 is my goal. I already have electronics and everything so don't worry about that part.

I looked around and the kits in the poll above have looked to be my best options. I don't know too much about these kits so I can use all the help I can get . I don't want something huge but I also want it to be able to take some abuse and not break constantly. I found a vintage stadium blitzer that seems to be in great condition on ebay and I'm currently bidding on it. That is the only actual stadium truck from tamiya that I know of. So I'm hoping I can get that one for cheap.

So just let me know if I should take any of the above cars off the list and also vote for the one you think would be best for what I'm looking for. And please explain your vote, lol. The buggies may not be the best for bashing but I've heard some great things about the hornet, frog, and grasshopper as far as durability goes. The baja king is only on the list because it was pretty cheap.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:03 AM
arcticcatwill

Default RE: Tamiya Basher

What problems has the Vader been giving you?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:22 AM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

I say the Twin Detonator, because I have the Wild Dagger (which is the same chassis) and think it makes a real good basher. It's the lightest, most compact twin motor truck out there. Run times are very good too for a dual motor truck.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:24 AM
magnat

I am also going to have to go with the Twin Detonator... there an Awesome truck... and pretty durable too

I can't go with the Baja King as a HBX Buggy is the same damned thing only cloned.. (Not saying thats a bad thing but HBX is cheaper then going with Tamiya for the same thing)
Old 04-02-2008, 07:03 AM
mkoresh12

I chose the black foot extreme, same as the twin detonator just 2wd and single motor. I chose it for several reasons. 1rst, with a tower coupon you should be able to get one for less than $100, The TD is 130 I think. Also, batteries should last longer with the single motor. The TD has a mechanical speed control, the blackfoot comes with an ESC. If you want dual motor version look at the dual hunter, same chassis just has Tamiyas new dual motor ESC. Either would be just as durable. If your use to the ground clearance from your evader I'd stick with the trucks. I had a pumpkin years ago and that thing could take a beating too.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Redvanmafia

A td would be nice cause over time, you could make it a pretty nice machine with hopups and that
Old 04-02-2008, 08:03 AM
J.D.T

none of the above, tamiya df 02, under $100, with a pinion change you can run four inch tall truck tires and bash way better than any of the ones listed, its super easy to mount a truck body on as the bathtub chassis has enough room for velcro on the side, it will handle mild brushless setups and truck tires better than any four wheel drive buggy currently on the market
Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Echelon

I would'nt go with the df-02. It doesn't has much ground clearance, like 3/4 inch And it gets easy dirty. My friend has one... The suspension has much travel but that doesn't help because of the low chassis. If you lift the wheel untill it can't get any higher the wheel will be like 1/2 inch in the air while the chassis is on the ground.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 AM
rymansl2

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm thinkin true buggies aren't the route I'm looking to go. Like it was said a couple times, they just don't have the ground clearance for jumping. I'm also not liking the whole dual motor thing. I assume you need two batteries for that and it just seems like thats too much stuff to mess with. I'd probably get the blackfoot over the twin detonator.

So unless someone can convince me otherwise, I think I'm taking the baja king and twin detonator off the poll
Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 AM
rymansl2

Also, am I right in the fact that the stadium raider is based off of an on-road chassis? If so thats coming off the poll as well.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:57 AM
J.D.T

thats why I said get the four inch tall truck tires to slap on the df 02, all buggies have limited ground clearance due to the tire size. A df 02 on four inch tires will outbash that evader easily. Stampedes with five inch tall masher 2000s and a half inch more clearance don't have a chance against a df 02 on dirt hawgs or dirt works, I bashed a mm 4600 on 2 and 3s against maxxes and savages, dominated them in every aspect except the really tall switchgrass type stuff and that was simply because I didn't have enough weight to push the grass down in front of me as the car would climb up on top and get high centered.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:18 PM
cheech4

sorry about the evader.. if you want tips to beef it up more send me a PM... but getting back in topic, DUDE if your looking for a tamiya basher just get a dark impact. ok its a buggy but raise it up put bigger tires on it and boom go do some 10 foot jumps.. the DI is awesome.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:24 PM
rymansl2

I'm still debating getting a buggy but I'll leave them up on the poll for now. Just a little worried about clearance. Having a truck would be better for absorbing jumps and bumps.

I am taking the twin detonator and the stadium raider off the list though. I don't really want to mess with dual motors and also the stadium raider seems too low to the ground and supposedly its based off of an on-road chassis. I'm also adding the wild willy since its in the same class as lunch box and such.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:27 PM
gman1

Go with the midnight pumpkin or lunchbox. Either that or the stadium blitzer. I own all of these kits and all i can say is that they are so much fun to bash. They are also very durable and a hell of a lot of fun to build.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:46 PM
billdee

if you can find a king blackfoot on ebay this is the way to go for an all around basher.do some small upgrades like oil shocks and full bearing.throw in a traxxas 12t titan motor(under 20 bucks new) and you will have a kick ***** basher
Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Frozen72

I've heard that the Blackfoot Extreme is just as durable or maybe more then the Traxxas Pede.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:25 PM
magnat

Well.. I can only think of 1 truck that seems to fit all your Needs.

1. Single Motor
2. Ground Clearance
3. For a Basher.
4. Has 4x4..
OK, It is a Tamiya Clone but it does match what your after!

I mean sure its an Onroad TL-01 but it does have ground clearance..
It is 4x4 without the Need of Dual Motors
and since most of the suspension upgrades you can do to a Twin Detonator will work on it... it may be worth a look at..

The only real down side to it, is, the Only motor you can shove into it and still have run reliably is the one it comes with a 550 Size Fan Cooled Motor..

But with a 4200mah it will do wheelies !
Old 04-02-2008, 11:45 PM
rymansl2

Alrighty I looked at the chassis of all of the remaining vehicles to see if there would be any weak spots. The grasshopper and hornet have the same chassis I just realized and that chassis has some pretty thin and breakable looking front arms. So I think i'll take those off the list. Plus they don't exactly have good clearance. The rest of them look very durable, haha.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:25 AM
The Mad Modder

(Sorry, double post.)
Old 04-03-2008, 06:26 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: rymansl2

Alrighty I looked at the chassis of all of the remaining vehicles to see if there would be any weak spots. The grasshopper and hornet have the same chassis I just realized and that chassis has some pretty thin and breakable looking front arms. So I think i'll take those off the list. Plus they don't exactly have good clearance. The rest of them look very durable, haha.
In reply to your other post: twin detonators do not use two batteries stock.(although some people fit them later.)
Old 04-03-2008, 06:37 AM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: magnat

Well.. I can only think of 1 truck that seems to fit all your Needs.

1. Single Motor
2. Ground Clearance
3. For a Basher.
4. Has 4x4..
OK, It is a Tamiya Clone but it does match what your after!

I mean sure its an Onroad TL-01 but it does have ground clearance..
It is 4x4 without the Need of Dual Motors
and since most of the suspension upgrades you can do to a Twin Detonator will work on it... it may be worth a look at..

The only real down side to it, is, the Only motor you can shove into it and still have run reliably is the one it comes with a 550 Size Fan Cooled Motor..

But with a 4200mah it will do wheelies !
Okay. Let me make a list of why he shouldn't get it:

1. It's of a lower quality
2. It's a stolen design from Tamiya
3. Finding parts is going to be much harder
4. The TL-01 chassis was never meant to accomidate such large tires
5. As the title indicates, he's specifically looking for a Tamiya basher, not a cheaper knock-off
Old 04-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Krazy Chicken

i say stadium blitzer, i have had mine ever since it first came out, and beat the hell out of it, and it still is taking the abuse, i even hit a light pole at 30, and no damage except for a few scratches, and the only thing i broke was a rear body post, and that was form being stupid, and drove it slowly off the tail gate with the body off. plus it can handel brushless power, even ask lunchboxer
Old 04-03-2008, 09:07 PM
rymansl2

Yea I'm hoping I get the Stadium Blitzer on Ebay. It looks like one tough cookie

So far I'm still winning and theres only 1 day left in the auction so wish me luck
Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Krazy Chicken

will do, here is a thread for reference

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_62..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 04-05-2008, 02:18 AM
rymansl2

*sigh* [] I didn't win the one on ebay. I had the highest bid but I couldn't track it the last 30 min. it was going and someone swept it out from under me. So I guess its back to the poll list, haha.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.