Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

The last question i guess I would ask then, regarding batteries, is this: Are Lithium Ion batteries worth the trouble? I'm a modder by nature so if I can get an ion battery to work, does it have any advantages over the headache of lipo, or the proven Nimh batteries?

I am just curious as I found places that have 7.4v 4800 Ions, but not really understanding what the 2S 4S and so forth means. What are those numbers showing, is it a cell count?
Old 08-26-2008, 05:49 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: Soloratov

The last question i guess I would ask then, regarding batteries, is this: Are Lithium Ion batteries worth the trouble? I'm a modder by nature so if I can get an ion battery to work, does it have any advantages over the headache of lipo, or the proven Nimh batteries?

I am just curious as I found places that have 7.4v 4800 Ions, but not really understanding what the 2S 4S and so forth means. What are those numbers showing, is it a cell count?

Li-ions arent any better than lipo's.. they are generally in a metal shell, but that just makes them heavier, so they have a lower energy density, which is basically how much power the battery has per ounce (or gram, or pound, etc).... 2S would be a 2 cell pack, 4S would be 4 cells,, the 2 meas "series" and a P would mean "parallel". A 2S2P 2200Mah pack would have 4 1100mah cells in it. 2 in series and 2 in parallel.....

If I were starting out new right now, I would exclusively with go with A123 packs... they dont have quite the energy density of lipo, and are 3.3v fully charged vs lipos 4.2v, but if you plan your power system around them thats not a problem, the advantage to A123 is that they dont burst into flame like lipo can, and they can be SAFELY fully charged in just 15 min.... a lipo takes a hour to safely charge...
Old 08-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Cashman90

I am running Trinity Lipro 4500's in my stock slash. These batteries have their own cutoff and it seems to work. They have plenty of power for me and the run times are over 30minutes (didn't keep exact time today but I am betting closer to 40 minutes.) Yes they take an hour to charge, but I usually have had my fill after 2 batteries and I am on to my mini Slider.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:57 PM
crazysavage

ORIGINAL: Soloratov

2s/4s is the cell count. 2 cells is 7.4 volts and is legal to run at most if not all tracks. With a good balancing charger, you can recharge the battery all day long time after time. I would say that lipo is now proven as well as NimH. I have seen more nimh batteries blow and have never seen a lipo blow as of yet(cross my fingers) I dont use a voltage cut off in my stock Slash because all I do is race it and the battery doesnt break a sweat. I use a mamba max in my modded slash and it has built in voltage cutoff. So far, I have not seen any headache in running lipo. A good charger will charge all your batteries. I dont know anything about lit ion batts but you can find out more on them at rc-monster.com.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks guys. Apreciate the help. I already have a lipo charger for my heli, and a nimh charger for my RC18. I might just start with some high cap. Nimhs for now, since I am just using it to bash. Maybe some day I'll upgrade, but I have higher priorities with my other project.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:00 PM
bnangle

Speaking of Batteries I just picked up a Venom 5400mah 3s 11.1 lipo and I have to say I cannot control this car.I have the traxxas brushless system and I am using the 23t optional pinion that came with the slash.It does a wheelie everytime off the line and It flips on every turn.Is it possible that this car is too powerful.It also seperated the tires from the rims.The glue came undone which brings me to my next question.Will Jato on road wheels fit the slash.Or does anyone know what on road wheels proline makes that would fit.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:21 PM
powerslider

Drop your gearing back, try an 18t pinion, loosen the slipper a bit. You will have to learn throttle control with this high powered set up and you have to slow down to turn without flipping. Keep driving it and you'll get the feel of things in time, I run an MM/Medusa on 3s and it's a blast but it takes driving skill to keep the rubber side down...
Old 08-27-2008, 07:45 PM
crazysavage

ORIGINAL: bnangle

Speaking of Batteries I just picked up a Venom 5400mah 3s 11.1 lipo and I have to say I cannot control this car.I have the traxxas brushless system and I am using the 23t optional pinion that came with the slash.It does a wheelie everytime off the line and It flips on every turn.Is it possible that this car is too powerful.It also seperated the tires from the rims.The glue came undone which brings me to my next question.Will Jato on road wheels fit the slash.Or does anyone know what on road wheels proline makes that would fit.
I agree with powerslider on driving technique. For tires, try thesehttp://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVCA9&P=7
Stuff your diff with bad horsie diff grease and make up a set of sway bars( I will post pictures of my sway bars by friday) with these items you can really let it fly on pavement.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVCA9&P=7
Old 08-29-2008, 05:42 PM
bnangle

Okay I geared down to the stock 18 tooth pinion.I have had a bunch of reccomendations to widen the wheel though.I looked at the link for the wheels by crazy savage but I cant use foam on my streets.can I use the jato wheels?It seems like they would fit.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Cashman90

I bought some rims for mine and pu axial crawler tires I had laying around. You have to use shallow front rims or they hit. With the massive Slash body you have to trim a bunch away for the tires to clear as well. It looks cool with the bigger tires.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:43 PM
VVRC

Cashman...I'd like to see what you got setup....I am looking for nice rims and tires myself....
Old 08-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Cashman90

I'll try and get some picks up. My buddy built an Axial Scorpion and went with an different tire so I took the stock new ones.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:52 PM
VVRC

Oh yeah I gotta see it!!!
Old 08-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Raydee
My Feedback: (3)

Hey guys I am planning to buy a Slash this week and I will be using a Mamba Max esc and 5700kv motor in mine. I am still trying to decide if I should use 2s or 3s lipo in mine. Can you guys tell me how much the stock electronics are selling for?
Old 08-30-2008, 12:36 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you check ebay and look for yourself?
Old 08-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Raydee

I looked on Ebay and didn't see a whole electrics package for sale but hey thanks for the reply.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:47 PM
bnangle

Okay I bought Proline 2.2 dirt hawgs and rpm rims.They fit fine and I clear the body all around.The only issue is that the nuts on the back are installed up to the self lock portion of the knot but with a dab of locktite it shouldnt be an issue.I'll take pics and post them shortly.One thing I really like is they are wider which will give me more stability and it shouldnt flip so easily on turns.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:07 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: Raydee

HAHAH I love you cocky car guys. Good answer though. I looked on Ebay and didn't see a whole electrics package for sale but hey thanks for the reply.
If you are looking to sell the whole set radio, receiver, motor and esc, you might get $50-$60 for all of it.

Here are some links to the electronice sold seperately...........

Radio and receiver
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Traxxas-4-CH...QQcmdZViewItem

ESC
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Traxxas-XL-5...QQcmdZViewItem

Motor
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Traxxas-TITA...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-30-2008, 01:43 PM
powerslider

Hey guys I am planning to buy a Slash this week and I will be using a Mamba Max esc and 5700kv motor in mine. I am still trying to decide if I should use 2s or 3s lipo in mine. Can you guys tell me how much the stock electronics are selling for?
With that motor definitely 2s, if you want to go 3s choose a different lower kv motor (4600MM or 3500kv Velineon or the Medusa). I run the MM esc with a Medusa 3300kv motor on 3s and it's awesome for power and the motor stays cool, great setup...
Old 08-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Raydee

ORIGINAL: powerslider

With that motor definitely 2s, if you want to go 3s choose a different lower kv motor (4600MM or 3500kv Velineon or the Medusa). I run the MM esc with a Medusa 3300kv motor on 3s and it's awesome for power and the motor stays cool, great setup...
Ok sounds like a plan. I will run it on 2s for now and if I decide to go 3s later I will get a lower KV motor. I was told by my local hobby shop to upgrade the pinion right away since the stock pinion will get beat up pretty quick.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:09 PM
powerslider

Stock pinion is ok,but you should seal up the gear cover, there's an opening at the axle so either add some tape or you can do what I did and super glue a small piece of lexan to the inside of the cover. That will keep the crud out and prolong the life of your gears big time. RPM is going to make a cover but It's out yet and the Rustler cover won't fit without mods....
Old 08-30-2008, 03:54 PM
t9dragon

HAHAH I love you cocky car guys. Good answer though. I looked on Ebay and didn't see a whole electrics package for sale but hey thanks for the reply.

I wasn't trying to be cocky. You never posted that you had looked on Ebay already, until after I left my post. I would say you could get $50-$70 for the stock electronics.

As to the mod who deleted my previous post I didn't post the links to try and sell anything I posted the links as an example of what "Raydee" could sell his stock electronics for.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:05 PM
GTRice

Here are some pictures of my father's new Slash:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13531.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1022525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40958.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1022526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13832.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1022527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27531.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1022528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57554.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1022529  
Old 08-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Raydee

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

I wasn't trying to be cocky. You never posted that you had looked on Ebay already, until after I left my post. I would say you could get $50-$70 for the stock electronics.

As to the mod who deleted my previous post I didn't post the links to try and sell anything I posted the links as an example of what "Raydee" could sell his stock electronics for.
No problem, my apologies. If I could get $50 for all the stock electronics I will be happy. Thanks again for the replies, I should have mine sometime next week.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Deeooo

I just got a slash, and have a MM with 6900. I was wondering what spur and pinion I should run. I will be using either 6 or 7 cell NIMH, until I can buy a 2S Lipo. I will be running at a large off-road track, and dont want the motor/esc to thermal.
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.