Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

THE Official Traxxas E-REVO Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Metallover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THE Official Traxxas E-REVO Thread

It's a Medusa 36-60-2000 with a rc-m heatsink/clamp.  It's not a bigmaxximum or anything crazy like that...  It's a great motor however, HIGHLY recommend it.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:58 AM
EReVoNuT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Metallover

Erevonut, It doesn't matter if you charge them in a series or parallel, but make sure you balance them together. You'll need a balance adapter.

Well if you clicked the link you would have seen that I have found 2 different ways to make the balance adapter and im curious which 1 most use.

Im also wondering if I can hook a 2s balancer up to each pack but still charge them as a 4s.

Lipos didnt seem that confusing until I started researching them now its more confuseing.

Edit:
Hey did you use rit dye to do your chassis?

Old 06-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Metallover

I got my revo used and the chassis was dyed when I got it.  You'll need one balancer to balance the two packs in any configuration.  If you hook up one balancer to each pack, you may have all the cells in one pack at 4.12v and all the cells in anoter pack at 4.22v, which would make the final 4s pack very unbalanced.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:52 PM
littleazn248

can the erevo use the jato diff seals their only a 1.50 versus the erevo diff kit which includes the un-needed cup and costs 4.50
Old 06-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Metallover

ORIGINAL: littleazn248

can the erevo use the jato diff seals their only a 1.50 versus the erevo diff kit which includes the un-needed cup and costs 4.50
+1; I'd like to know too.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:14 AM
moparmyway

It's a Medusa 36-60-2000 with a rc-m heatsink/clamp. It's not a bigmaxximum or anything crazy like that... It's a great motor however, HIGHLY recommend it.

NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I run the 36-70-2300 and go NUTSon 6s with 23/54 gearing !!!!!!
It shreds the stock tires at 3/4 throttle !!!!!!
It broke the foam insert with Pro Line Road Rage tires to give me one wicked flat spot, so I am waiting on Faultlines now !!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54120.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1214954  
Old 06-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Metallover

Jesus, that must run pretty hot... Make sure you have thermal grease/heatsink compound between your heatsink and motor. What batteries are you running?

Did you switch two of your bullet plugs for your battery and switch them with a deans? I could see that leading to cogging and motor problems...
Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 PM
j-boy

Hey how isa everybody?

I am having heat issues all of a sudden I was club racin Sunday and I think I may have shut down on a thermal overload. I saw the motor hit at least 160 degrees and i think the ESC got up to 150 a couple ofd times.

Gear ratios are all stock.

Spur is 68T

Pinion is 16T

Novak 6.5 can and ESC combo with 2 x 7.4 volt 10C lipos

What do ya'all think? Should I be gearing it different to lower engine temps? Things were fine back when the days were 60 degrees or so but now that it's getting warmer, probly 90 degrees at the track the other day, I am afraid that the motor and ESC are gonna be too hot. Batts seem to be fine, never get above slightly warm to the touch.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Metallover

Gear lower, thats about all you can do. If you can disable the bec on the esc and run an external bec, that would probably help a lot too. Then consider adding a fan. I would get better electronics though... The novak is made for 1/8 buggy tops. The batteries won't take much more then the novak either...
Old 06-10-2009, 03:32 AM
moparmyway

Jesus, that must run pretty hot... Make sure you have thermal grease/heatsink compound between your heatsink and motor. What batteries are you running?

Did you switch two of your bullet plugs for your battery and switch them with a deans? I could see that leading to cogging and motor problems...
She gets to 160 MAX if I really push it with full throttle and constant braking!!
I have zero thermal grease, the safety-wire holds the heatsink(s) down tight, and with those gears, I would know if she got hot !!
Eagletree temp sensor is epoxied to motor can on the bottom, so I can really see what happened. With single leg resistance of 0.0025, I do NOT generate alot of heat at the motor !!!

All of my electronics and batteries run CC 6.5mm bullets, so I can combine just about anything in whatever I am flying/driving

I have ZERO problems with cogging and havent had a single motor problem with the 2300......................now if we are talking tire problems, well then I got a list of what tires not to run at these power levels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Batteries are TP Pro 3850's in 6s, and I am getting 5100's (45/80c) in 6s also !!!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 AM
EReVoNuT

I got my revo used and the chassis was dyed when I got it. You'll need one balancer to balance the two packs in any configuration. If you hook up one balancer to each pack, you may have all the cells in one pack at 4.12v and all the cells in anoter pack at 4.22v, which would make the final 4s pack very unbalanced.
Ok, That makes sence. Thanks man!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:37 PM
spoonrc

Getting a Brushless E-Revo soon and need help on deciding what batteries to get. I am looking at the zippy lipos.
Looking to go 2x3S.

What is a good lipo to run in BL e-revo off this site http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...5&ParentCat=85.

What C rating and MAH should I be looking for?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Metallover

Higest c rating you can find, 5000mah 3s lipos. Flightmax 5000mah 30c 3s lipos would be a great choice. Not sure about the turnigy lipos though... They might be better or worse.. time will tell.

I have a 30c zippy 500mah 4s lipo in my revo,, it's great. I'm going to split it into 2 2s packs once I get my connectors in the mail.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:46 PM
spoonrc

Alright thanks very much. Whats the runtime I can expect when running them in a series?

I am converting to the electric side. Got the 1/10 e-revo brushless and the 1/16th e-revo brushless on the way... Cannot wait
Old 06-14-2009, 07:00 AM
spoonrc

Do you guys think the E-revo BL will handle jumps good? Would be using long travel etc. I am talking around 6ft jumps

Old 06-14-2009, 11:21 AM
bluefisherking

ORIGINAL: spoonrc

Do you guys think the E-revo BL will handle jumps good? Would be using long travel etc. I am talking around 6ft jumps

Yup.

Personally I don't use the LT rockers, you just need to put the Silver/Blue springs in (that come with the truck) and you can raise the ride height one notch if you want, and you are good to go.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:34 PM
littleazn248

hi there got a question I'm doing a massive rebuild on my erevo and i just finished reassembling the rear. On my rear diffs I'm running 100,000wt oil. The problem is when i try to rotate my diffs so that the wheels counter rotate I feel a lump. Does anyone have a clue to what this is. I checked to make sure there are no contaminates. 
Old 06-15-2009, 11:28 PM
j-boy

Wow... funny you should mention this problem because I have been experiencing the same thing. And both sets of diffs do it so I think the cast was alittle off when they were makin em. I ended up grinding a few teeth on the out put shaft a little wider BETWEENthe teeth. I worked on this for days and finally figured out that I had to rotate the center output shaft around till the diff "hung up" and then lift the top off and pull the diff itself out while not moving the output shaft. I then reached in with a sharpy marker and marked the teeth that were at the bump spot. It was hard to tell which one of the teeth it was for sure so I marked like three teeth right there and worked on those teeth. Iknew it was one of them cause after they were marked Icould put everything back together and it would allways hang up at the marked teeth. I determined that it was the center output gear because it was the only part that allways rotated around 1 time and hung up at the same spot. Have you noticed that you can set the two halves of the diff case together without any screws and they will rotate just fine? I f they do you can squeeze down on the side that the big gear is on and they should cause the bump problem. Also remember almost no differential can be tightened down real tight. or it will cause binding. Just snug up the screws holding the case together and it will turn easier.

Anyway after I figured out that it must be the center output gear teeth I got my file out and started working on them. I knew Ineeded to be real carefull here cause removing too much material would result in a stripped gear. But after a couple of hours worth of filing wiyh no positive results I resorted to my dremel tool. I assumed the problem would be one of the points but rounding them off (I did all three) didn't help any. I then grinded just a little off of the ridges of the teeth but this didn't seem to help either. I eventually got around to removing some metal from the SIDES of the gear teeth and although I still can feel a tight spot It is a lot better than it was. Anyhoo you can try this or not it's up to you but please be carefull not to remove any more metal than is absolutely necassary. I have not run my revo since I made this mod so I can't even be sure that the diff is still going to hold up. Anyway I have been having heat issues so I was checking for binding and things like that when I found the diff problem. This is what I came up with and like I said... take it or leave it, it's up to you. Just please be carefull if you break out the high speed rotary tools on your diffs! lol
Old 06-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Metallover

I had a similar problem in my crt .5; but it was more of a clicking sound. Make sure the grub screw that's used to fill the diff up is all the way in. It could be rubbing on the case.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:58 PM
j-boy

You mean like a plug? Like a fluid fill hole? Man I'll have to look into that! If there is one I sure haven't noticed it.  Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:49 AM
littleazn248

ahhhh thanks J-Boy and Metallover. I think that should solve the problem. I remember when gorillasnawt built their truck they used diamond filers to file clean the bores. One more question for some reason my 10,000wt feels thiner than my 3,000wt. Dunno why. Also when you guys build your diffs do you ever worry that they might leak what can I do to prevent this? Also (kinda a noob question) how do you know when there 's enough oil in the diffs?

Thanks!!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:52 AM
littleazn248

Metallover is not quite reffering to the traxxas diffs. On some of the nicer diffs theres a screw (like the one you use to tie down the pinion) that plugs a hole in the diff cup. Through this hole you can fill oil into the diff pretty neat.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 AM
patrick12186

i have been working on a brushless e-revo project for a few months now. i was usinga KD conversion chassis with the 3.3 tranny and when i tested my mamba monster on my work stand it shredded the tranny gear and make some loud noises. So i decided to replace my brand new 180$ KD chassis with the brushless e-revo chassis and tranny configuration. In the process i had to cut some zip ties and i sniped the black wire for one of my steering servos. That sucked! Now my e-revo is ready to go but i need a new steering servo. I want to upgrade to a powerful single servo steering setup and i need help in this area since i have not delt with this area much. What is the best single steering servo for the e-revo? I found this one yesterday and i am interested in it but i dont know if it is too much or what? please help?

JR Z9100HVT High Voltage Ultra Torque Servo

JRPSZ9100HVT

Brand New

Features

Specifications

Size Category:Standard
Type:Digital
Application:1/8, 1/5 on-road, off-road surface vehicles
Torque:480 oz/in (2S Li-Po)
Speed:.12 sec/60°
Dimensions (WxLxH):.82" x 1.58" x 1.57"
Weight:2.6 oz
Bushing Or Bearing:Bearing
Bearing:Dual
Motor Type:Coreless
Connector Type:JR
Gear Type:Metal
Gear Material:SuperSteel™
Voltage:7.4V (2S Li-Po)
Deadband:Surface optimized

here are a few pix of my project e-revo..i will submit some more with the e-revo chassis installed soon. Also, if anyone is interested in buying a KDchassis i will sell mine for 80$ cheaper then you can get it from the website. they run $180 but i will sell mine for 100$..it has never been used. Just setup and then take apart.

[*]Rugged new aluminum case[*]JR® SuperSteel™ gears for high precision, long wear[*]Exclusive motor designed for high voltage applications[*]Outstanding precision combined with outlandish performance[/list]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34866.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1219300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39596.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	1219301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21955.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1219302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96886.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1219303  
Old 06-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Metallover

Metallover is not quite reffering to the traxxas diffs. On some of the nicer diffs theres a screw (like the one you use to tie down the pinion) that plugs a hole in the diff cup. Through this hole you can fill oil into the diff pretty neat.
Don't the traxxas diffs have something like that too?

Patrick, you can send your dead servo to me. I like dead servos...
Old 06-16-2009, 11:02 AM
patrick12186

are they repairable? I tried to splice the cable and twist the wires together but nothing happened except my other servo was over heating.

Don't the traxxas diffs have something like that too?

Patrick, you can send your dead servo to me. I like dead servos...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.