Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Battery/Charger Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:40 PM
revo3.3traxxas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery/Charger Question

I have a duratrax intellipeak charger that is rated at 4-8cell output, I was thinking of buying a 9cell 4700 pack from maxamps as it is the closest thing to lipo in my price range and, I was wondering. What would be the problem with charging a 9cell battery with a 8cell charger other than it says not to..If there is no problem then I will go ahead and, get the pack but, if there is then i'll just go with the 8cell.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:30 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Battery/Charger Question

Its rated at 4-8 cells for a reason. Each battery is 1.2 volts and your charger can only handle up to 9.6 volt packs. The 9 cell pack would be 10.8 volts.

Also make sure your ESC can handle the extra voltage.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:56 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Problem is reduced charge rate if usiong close to 12-13.8 volts input.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:05 AM
Orion1024

Yes, I've got two of those chargers. Back when I was running a 10-cell pack I made it so the six cells could disconnect from the other four and then I would charge them seperately. You could do the same if your ESC can handle it...that is make the pack into a 5 + 4 or a 6 + 4.