Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Team Associated Rc10t4 rtr
29.27%
Traxxas Stampede rtr xl-5
48.78%
Team losi desert truck
21.95%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Stampede xl-5 or Rc10t4 or Losi Desert Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:50 PM
DS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stampede xl-5 or Rc10t4 or Losi Desert Truck

cool, im waiting for the losi desert truck review then i will make my final decision. Now when does it come out
Old 05-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Chris_RC

go to horizonhobby.com and contact them. They own Losi and have great customer support.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:45 PM
DS

ok but what do i ask them
Old 05-25-2008, 06:32 AM
paul_TAB4

hi everyone I have a stampede xl5 and I love it. not a racer though. great for bashin. the desert truck comes with DSM 2.4ghz. its the best buy of the three. if it was out when I bought my stampede.....I wouldn't have a stampede. I just finished reading the review in R/c car action and the truck does well on pavement but doesn't get much traction in the dirt. ( new tires big deal ) the stock stampede tires ( talons ) suck as well. I replaced mine with pro line gladiators. My vote is losi dt. just my two cents. T4 no good for bashin.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:50 AM
04DarkShadowGT

Just to throw another wrench in the mix, you can get a Bandit VXL for $229 on stormer hobbies or $225 on tower after the coupon. Already brushless.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Always Dreamin

Look, it's really up to you. It's a MT, DT(?), and a Racer. One fast and good handling, one has high ground clearence, and one is made like a buggy.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:58 PM
drftwd

just read the review on the desert truck in mag it is a good setup but only goes like 21 mph whats with that they could not give a specific wound on the motor but it esc can hold a 12 turn so that looks like the only prob. still is a sweet truck
Old 05-29-2008, 01:38 AM
cubnpede82

Hello All,
Losi DT all the way, I mean it's got pretty decent Electronics, a 2.4 Ghz radio, and it's a FREAKIN' XXX-T for Pete's sake!!!
I have a Stampede that I'm going to set up to be raced in the Stock (27T) class. With good proline tires and some other goodies I think I can keep from coming in last at least. The Pede isn't really any better than a Rusty, Mine won't go anywhere a buddy's Rustler can't follow. And the Rustler is far better suited to a track than a Pede. If at all possible, get a VXL Rustler, The XL-5's are far inferior, I've already upgraded quite a few parts, and have a few to go to get VXL spec., like carriers with bearings big enough to hold up. And I'm down an awesome Brushed/Brushless ESC, and motor, and I'm almost in it as much as if I had a VXL from the start!!!
If I had it to do over, the only Traxxas stuff I'd ever own again is the Revo, VXL Rusty, and an extra TQ-3 for a cheap Crawler radio with rear steer mod. They are durable, I've beaten the heck outa mine, at the skate park, on my backyard track, on on some insane leaps down my buddy's hill. VXL or not Traxxas I'd say.

Best truck in your list is the Losi Desert Truck, Good radio and electronics, and it's a XXX-T with rollbars, body, and tires. It looks great, and those tires look like they'd be as good as prolines, at least at my local spots and track. with a tire swap you'd have a racer, and then swap back and save your bowties for the track. you could run Stock or Spec(19T) class, or mod with down to 12T motors.
The RPM listed for their motor is pretty high, no turn listing though. From the vids on youtube and Horizon and such, it looks pretty peppy.

I use a Dynamite Vision Peak Ultra, A/C or D/C hookup, NiCd NiMH or Li-Po, was like $70 at LHS
I'd say get good Batts. Whatever you do !!! Like NiMH 3600's or bigger. I have a couple cheap 3000 Venom's that are OK, but I'm pretty sure they won't run an A-Main.

All-In-All, if you could swing a VXL RUSTY get one, or go for the Losi DT , Better radio and electronics than an XL-5, and more suited for occasional racing than a pede and probably a rusty too. 2.4 Ghz radio, I'm probably going to get one of those DT's eventually.

Laters,
Isaiah feel free to e-mail me shadymoon1282@yahoo
Old 05-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Redvanmafia

Stampede
Old 05-29-2008, 12:14 PM
pimpinpede23

I would go with the pede it was my first car and i still love it
Old 05-31-2008, 02:51 PM
sloppyG

so did you decide if you wanted the pede T4 or DT yet?
Old 05-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Chris_RC

he is gonna get a nitro. The Thunder Tiger ST-1. On Tower it's $77 but on AMain it's only $300 with coupons and everyone loves them. Go to the RC general forum and you can see the forum.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:13 PM
maxxdout

My vote goes for the T4.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:34 PM
1maxdude

T4, Stampede for bashing but not racing, T4 is excellent racer and you could bash with it on the side. I'd personally get both, one strictly for the track and the other for playing around with, that is when you have funds for it.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:55 PM
smm_cbf

stampede all the way, but if you can't really afford a brushless system or moded brushed motor i would but something else. i love the pede but i bought a mamba system for it and its nuts...so much fun, and yes i have to agree the body falls apart but if your a true racer/basher, looks don't count, and the more screwed up the body is the better. the pede doesn't flip as much as some people think, you just have to lower the suspenion travel......the pede is also very durable, i ran my pede into my neighbors house at around 20mph front first and i just picked it up turned it around and kept on driving, you can run this into a brick wall and this thing will keep on going..... i give the pede 10 out of 10 , if its brushless, stock i would give it about a 7-8 out of 10 only because i like to go fast
Old 06-02-2008, 09:07 PM
xxx-t2

i think the desert truck is a waste of money, its just a cheap desert version of a xxx-t. i think the xxx-t's are outdated anyways.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:54 AM
cubnpede82

the DT comes with decent electronics for a brushed system, and a 2.4 radio. they're quite durable, I've seen many run. and Traxxas radio's are junk, haven't changed in about 10 years. LOSI is good stuff, I'm not a Traxxas basher, I have a Pede and will make Father's Day this year it's first outing in race trim. The VXL is a good BL setup for the $$ and the VXL trucks are great, the radios do their job, but a 2.4 like the one with the DT is better! Especially if he were to take it to a track. no freq. conflicts! 12T limit on ESC is pretty good, a 2wd is pretty good on a hot 19T Spec or 17-15T mod, BL is insane but fun, and speed runs are good. But for a RTR electric 1/10 truck, I'd go DT, or VXL Rustler if he's got the $$$
Old 06-05-2008, 07:47 AM
04DarkShadowGT

The DT is a better truck stock than a rustler or stampede XL-5. The XL-5 trucks are quicker and faster but the DT is a better design with better components and is brushless ready, has full BB, etc.

I own a DT and have owned ruslters and pedes in XL-5 and brushless form. All three are good trucks but the DT is just better designed and built. The DT is pretty slow out of the box on a 6 cell pack but its a whole lotta fun now that I put a mamba 5700 in it.