Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Beater Builds Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:20 PM
warheadforever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Beater Builds Thread

ORIGINAL: evaderkid

LOL .... RPM is the best company in the world of RC
It was pretty big. I might go bigger[&:]

This isnt my video but it was very much similar to this
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Baj3FQKyjqI[/link]
Man that is a HUGE jump! [X(]
Old 09-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jailbird1818

ORIGINAL: Krawlin

New Update, got all my stuff ordered (LiPo's, balancer, the higher amp rating charge/balance adapter), new lower 1st gear, spare drive dog and lower second gear, 2 fans for the motor, Y-harnesses, Blue RPM A-Arms, Traxxas Stainless Steel hinge pins. Should make the truck even more durable.... I just wish I could find some metal lower gears for the tranny.....
Aluminum lower gears for the EMAXX trans. Might help, might not, but here's the link.

http://www.rcrockcrawling.com/produc...roducts_id=532

-JB

Thanks JB! Unfortunately, my girlfriend isn't going to be letting me spend much more on RC for a while, considering I bought almost over $350 worth of stuff only a week ago. And the other problem with those is that they are aluminum, and would wear out way to quick because I have steel idler gears that would be running on them. But thanks for posting those up man!
Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 PM
fusebmx13

For me its not getting traction, its wheelieng lol I am constantly doing a wheelie when trying to accelerate. It drives me nuts sometimes. But thats not that big of a jump, I mean its pretty big but nothing to impressive. I have done that only 84 feet. Just have to have speed and the right ramps. I have a ramp that shoots me straight up in the air about 18-22 feet. Its insane, then i have a ramp that i can hit at full and clear my head but still go so far in distance.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Always Dreamin

That's why I prefer the Rustler. That's a big reason of why I converted, wheelies got old. The Rustler can still wheelie, but it's much easier to control, it's more stable in the air, IMO a better layout, etc. The Rustler just fit me better.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:52 PM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

For me its not getting traction, its wheelieng lol I am constantly doing a wheelie when trying to accelerate. It drives me nuts sometimes. But thats not that big of a jump, I mean its pretty big but nothing to impressive. I have done that only 84 feet. Just have to have speed and the right ramps. I have a ramp that shoots me straight up in the air about 18-22 feet. Its insane, then i have a ramp that i can hit at full and clear my head but still go so far in distance.
Wow thats awsome! I know iuts not that big but I thought I would share my day and a little update on the pede. I plan on making a huge ramp andd hitting it a full speed with a 3s[X(][:-]...I would fly but I would also have to go pick up the pieces...but i probaly will any way because I want to upgrade and the only way my mom lets me buy upgrades is when something breaks[&:]
Old 09-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Always Dreamin

If you actually have to try to break it, it doesn't need to be upgraded, IMO.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:02 PM
SlashBasher

LOL....well its strong stuck...but i have upgraded to rpm arms, bumper next probally shock towers and an flm extended chasiseventually lipo(3s)
Old 09-08-2008, 08:54 PM
warheadforever

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

If you actually have to try to break it, it doesn't need to be upgraded, IMO.
Spot on man, spot on.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:25 PM
SlashBasher

^^^^^^^^^This is completeyly true but say I want to upgrade to an FLM chassis. I need to brake my chassis to get it. I dont want to brake my chassis but I want an FLM chassis. Maybe when my moms out nd my dads home he will let me use his credit card[&:]but i need to save up first[>:]
Old 09-11-2008, 06:46 PM
SlashBasher

UPDATE

I am ordering an FLM extended super chassis.....I am looking foward to this. It is only 45 bucks not bad at all. Hopefully I will order it this Saturday. BTW the FLM site says its lighter than stock..is this true?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Revotrx3
Banned

Not a beater, but heres some carnage pics

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7944650/tm.htm[/link]
Old 09-11-2008, 08:57 PM
fusebmx13

UPDATE

I am ordering an FLM extended super chassis.....I am looking foward to this. It is only 45 bucks not bad at all. Hopefully I will order it this Saturday. BTW the FLM site says its lighter than stock..is this true?
its not much lighter. It handles better though. Way stiffer and makes things righter if you know what i mean.
I might be building a rustler or something. I havent figured it out yet but i will be running a MM and vxl motor with 3s.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:50 PM
flatout->

ORIGINAL: john01374

2) Is an olds school Hornet with a home made truck conversion. Losi truck shocks on the front, Assoc Team truck shocks on the back. OLD speed gems 19T motor. Never tried to fly this one at the skate park but I haven't broken anything in about 10 yrs.

Sounds interesting, I love old school Tamiya, had a Hornet once but cant remember much about the handling only that it bounced a lot. What losi shocks did you use? Can I see pics?
Old 09-12-2008, 06:22 PM
SlashBasher

quote:

UPDATE

its not much lighter. It handles better though. Way stiffer and makes things righter if you know what i mean.
I might be building a rustler or something. I havent figured it out yet but i will be running a MM and vxl motor with 3s.
SWEET...do like a complete flm or a complete rpm
Old 09-13-2008, 09:27 PM
SlashBasher

THE BUILD CONTINUES!!!!

I ordered an FLM exteneded super chassis!! Should be here buy Tuesday or Wedensday!
Old 09-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Krawlin

THE BUILD CONTINUES!!!!

I ordered an FLM exteneded super chassis!! Should be here buy Tuesday or Wedensday!

Sounds awesome dude!

And to continue my build..... Just finished putting the RPM arms on my Maxx..... they need to fix their molds so those arms aren't such a tight fit! I had to shave quite a bit off the hinge holes to prevent them from binding with the bulkheads!

Got my dual fan mount on the motor, works great!

And should have my LiPo by Tuesday or Wednesday!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:11 AM
SlashBasher

Sounds awsome!
But wont having two fans hurt your performance and runtime?

Maybe not performance but I think your runtime will go down.......
Old 09-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Krawlin

Increases performance actually. The cooler the motor runs, the more efficient it will be, thus runtimes are about the same if not a bit better, and the cooler a motor runs, the more power it can produce, which isn't very noticeable, but its still good to keep the motor running cool.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Krawlin

Anyway, I will get some pics and videos of my Maxx later today.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:03 AM
SlashBasher

ORIGINAL:Krawlin
quote:

Sounds awsome!
But wont having two fans hurt your performance and runtime?

Maybe not performance but I think your runtime will go down.......

Increases performance actually. The cooler the motor runs, the more efficient it will be, thus runtimes are about the same if not a bit better, and the cooler a motor runs, the more power it can produce, which isn't very noticeable, but its still good to keep the motor running cool.
Really? Sweet. I cant decide wheater to get a fan on my motor or make my pede all FLM and turn it into one huge heat sink....HA
Old 09-14-2008, 05:24 PM
fusebmx13

putting fans on the motors and stuff doesnt help the runtime. It helps performance though. I have tried fans but dont seem to help me much.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Krawlin

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

putting fans on the motors and stuff doesnt help the runtime. It helps performance though. I have tried fans but dont seem to help me much.
Actually it does. When a motor runs cooler, it's more efficient. When a motor is more efficient, it doesn't draw as much energy from the batteries, thus, longer runtimes. For instance, with the MM, you can adjust motor timing via the ESC. If you reduce the timing, the motor runs cooler and is more efficient, and can produce noticeable increases in runtimes.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Krawlin

Here is a link to the first video with it being brushless and with a full set of RPM arms! Enjoy!

http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/l...t=e8d836b9.pbr
Old 09-15-2008, 09:01 PM
SlashBasher

CARNAGE!!!!!

I dintt have any pics b/c i broke my camera. I had my ramp right next to a basketball hoop....i missed the ramp and the left tire hit the pole and full speed missing the bumper(). I hit it at almost full speed...like 30 id say. Popped a shock cap and busted a steering block. Time for rpm bearing carriers
Old 09-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Krawlin

I have some bad, bad news........

Ran it for the first time on LiPo this morning. Just bashing around, no speed runs or anything like that, checked the temps of the motor after about 7 minutes of running, around 130. Well about a minute after I checked the temp, I noticed smoke coming from the motor..... and more and more started coming from the motor. Checked the temp while the smoke was coming out of the motor, and my temp gun just told me error, and wouldn't work at all, so I couldn't get the temp of it when it smoked.......... And yes, I stopped as soon as I noticed the smoke coming from the motor. And now, when I try to roll the truck while everything is off, there isn't nearly as much resistance from the motor as there used to be (as in the magnets keeping it from turning). And after it smoked, before I shut it off, when I would give it throttle it wouldn't move at all really, and when I would turn the MM off then back on, the beeping sound was very weak and faint.

But what is so odd about this is that I have run it about 15 times or so on 12 NiMH cells with no issue at all. Temps were good, stayed at around 130, and performance was great. Then, the first run on LiPo, started out with amazing torque, temps nice and low, normal, where they should be, and then suddenly, smoking. And this Align 600XL motor is rated for up to 6S, so I don't really think that its first run on LiPo, and only 4S at that, would have fried it. It's possible, but seems unlikely. I just don't understand why this motor would suddenly start smoking like this after having such cool temps after 7 minutes of running on 4S LiPo and working fine with great cool temps with 12 cells NiMH.

So yeah, I am just really frustrated with this. I am basically the opposite of most people into RC, I can get any nitro to run great, yet I fail miserably at electric RC's........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.