Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

FINALLY WENT LIPO!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:10 PM
carlbellybutton10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FINALLY WENT LIPO!!

does aero-nuts have the crash protection gaurantee (if you crash and damage the pack you can send it back and get new ones at half price) like amain has on the proteks?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

I doubt it... Just dont crash and you'll be fine. AutoXMan, your joking right?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:27 PM
carlbellybutton10

how long did it take you to receive them after your ordered them?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:34 PM
MaxxOrange

took me literally 7 days, but i ordered the fast and expensive shipping for both the charger from hobbycity and the lipos from aeronuts, they comin from china, so get the default shipping and you WILL be waiting for 30 days, even says when you about to checkout, so unless you patient and not an eager mcbeaver like me then get the slow shipping, if not spend the extra money for the good shipping.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Always Dreamin

I must say, I don't like how the battery doesn't fit completely in the tray.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:05 PM
maxxdout

Yea TACO man! Glad you like them! I will be gettin the same setup as you soon, but with a B6 charger [8D]

ORIGINAL: PedeBeater

lol! That was my exact attitude before I went lipo, now I love them. IT IS TOTALLY WORTH IT!
I know right! Just last month I was saying "HELL NO! I am waiting at least a year to go lipo!" And I am going lipo within the next few weeks! lol, funny crap....
Old 05-18-2008, 08:07 PM
MaxxOrange

but have you seen the straps my dad? holds the lipos down tight as can be with no play or wiggle room, we were doin barrel rolls cuz of all the insane power, and the lipos didnt even budge in the battery tray. but everyone has their petpeeves, i really dont care that it sticks out a little, 80 percent of the lipo fits in battery tray, the rest sticks out but is secured by the velcro strap and surrounding chassis.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:10 PM
MaxxOrange

ORIGINAL: maxxdout

Yea TACO man! Glad you like them! I will be gettin the same setup as you soon, but with a B6 charger [8D]

ORIGINAL: PedeBeater

lol! That was my exact attitude before I went lipo, now I love them. IT IS TOTALLY WORTH IT!
I know right! Just last month I was saying "HELL NO! I am waiting at least a year to go lipo!" And I am going lipo within the next few weeks! lol, funny crap....
lol thanks bro, you will not be disappointed with the aero-nuts lipo, idk anything about the B6 but sounds like the setup your getting will be perfect, just dont forget the IMAX power supply
Old 05-18-2008, 08:17 PM
maxxdout

Yea, the B6 is exactly the same accept it can charge 6s lipos and below. I have a few power supplies and my step dad is an electrician, so if I don't have one, he will
Old 05-18-2008, 08:18 PM
MaxxOrange

ok thats fine then, good luck, when will you be buying all of this?
Old 05-18-2008, 08:33 PM
maxxdout

Within the next 2-3 weeks hopefully.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: VXL TACO

but have you seen the straps my dad? holds the lipos down tight as can be with no play or wiggle room, we were doin barrel rolls cuz of all the insane power, and the lipos didnt even budge in the battery tray. but everyone has their petpeeves, i really dont care that it sticks out a little, 80 percent of the lipo fits in battery tray, the rest sticks out but is secured by the velcro strap and surrounding chassis.
Ya, it works. I could swear that i've seen 2s fit in a battery tray before. The Maxamps packs do.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:26 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: Takedown

I doubt it... Just dont crash and you'll be fine. AutoXMan, your joking right?
No, I am not. Venom lipos are great, Have you ever tried any?
Old 05-18-2008, 09:32 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: studysession

ORIGINAL: VXL TACO

why the heck would you put lipos in a fridge? ive never heard that before, and if you store them for months, how would you use them?

There are times that my RC's may sit more than two months. For me it depends on free time. Sometime can get them out and run daily and then other times just to busy with work, kids, life etc.
Hard Cased Lipo's you dont have to. So study session must be using hard cased lipos then....

I guess the fridge thing is when you store them for more than 6 months....I have no idea why people do that though.
RC tech is where people have said that, so I guess that website is full of garbage then.[&:]
Old 05-19-2008, 06:39 AM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Yes and they all sucked. Very low amp ratings and extremely overpriced for what you get.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:44 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: Takedown

Yes and they all sucked. Very low amp ratings and extremely overpriced for what you get.
100 amp discharge seems fine to me. Better than those proteks you guys rave about.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTCE1&P=ML
Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Always Dreamin

They might be worth a shot. I just hope their not as bad as the NiMh Venom has out there.

We need VIDEO.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:12 AM
The Hedgehog

I have used over 5 venom lipos over the past 2 years. Their claims are acurrate and prices reasonable. They are worth a "shot"
Old 05-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Ripcaster

I"m having some problems with mine, I have the Venom 20C 5000mAh 7.2 (lime green, trx connector)> I just bought it yesterday with a small balancing charger (E-flite, 0.65a) and after leaving it on for a number of hours (yes, supervised) the charger stopped charging so I assumed it was done. It measured 6.32v! ?!?!? So I measured each individual cell and I'm getting 2.9 from one and 3.4 from the other. The charger is outputting 15V which is what I'm putting into it so it SHOULD be charging right?

Anyway, I'm running both back to the store tomorrow and exchanging them both unless they can prove to me it was one or the other. Either way somethings not right here.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:50 AM
The Hedgehog

What charger are you using?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:01 PM
hunter306

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ripcaster

I"m having some problems with mine, I have the Venom 20C 5000mAh 7.2 (lime green, trx connector)> I just bought it yesterday with a small balancing charger (E-flite, 0.65a) and after leaving it on for a number of hours (yes, supervised) the charger stopped charging so I assumed it was done. It measured 6.32v! ?!?!? So I measured each individual cell and I'm getting 2.9 from one and 3.4 from the other. The charger is outputting 15V which is what I'm putting into it so it SHOULD be charging right?

Anyway, I'm running both back to the store tomorrow and exchanging them both unless they can prove to me it was one or the other. Either way somethings not right here.
It's pretty unlikely that little E-Flite charger is up to the chore of Charging and balancing a 5000mah pack.

That charger was designed for a 700mah Lipo pack (or near that size) and is very likely cutting off the charge after a specific period of time, regardless of whether that 5000mah capacity has been reached or not.

Just an observation.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:09 PM
The Hedgehog

My guess is that after a couple hours the charger automatically turns off. At .65 amps you can expect to wait close to 10 hours for the battery to charge. And as Hunter said, it was designed for 700 mah batteries. As a safety feature I bet it cuts off after a few hours, not allowing you to charge for the 10 hours needed.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Ripcaster

Yeah, I calculated the 10 hour charge time as well but was surprised when it shut off. Shouldn't the cells at least be balanced then? Or have SOME charge in them instead of being at minimums?

Interesting theory that it shuts off after a certain amount of time (4 hours I guess [:P]), and I wondered about the small charge current but the guy at the LHS recommended this setup. Now, before the comments fly about that I realize these guys don't know everything but you'd expect some basics like this.

Well, I'll see what they have to say tomorrow. Keep you posted. I'm hoping my battery's still ok.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:32 PM
The Hedgehog

I bet the batteries fine. The E-flite charger won't balance until the battery is fully charged, so that explains the varying voltage between the 2.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Ripcaster

Oh! I'm still learning Lipese. [&:] I know a fair amount about electricity/electronics so I'd have thought it would balance then charge but that explains the current status. Good news then, means I'll only need a new charger which is cheaper than a new battery.

And let's face it, the wife is none too thrilled right now about the purchase (Stampede VXL, LiPo and charger) let alone the little troubles I've encountered.[][X(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.