Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

4 Wheel Drive Blackfoot

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:49 PM
seagull extra
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Wheel Drive Blackfoot

Just finished upgrading my sons Blackfoot to 4-wheel drive. This easy upgrade involved buying the extra tranny and drive pieces, about $40. I also purchased two sets of front shocks for the duratrax invader buggy, and 20 5x10mm bearings. The truck is a lot more fun to drive now with the four wheel drive and the extra motor. The stock speed control seemed to handle the extra motor no problem so I may even try a set of 19 turn motors later to really fire it up!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:05 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: 4 Wheel Drive Blackfoot

You really have to post pictures of it. I'd love to see how you did it.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:29 PM
hands without shadows

Twin 19t's and 4x4 make for a ton of fun. You may find that the rear motor gets hotter than the front motor. Just mess with the gearing untill the front and rear temps match, your rear pinion will probably end up being a tooth or two lower than the front.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:35 PM
seagull extra
My Feedback: (12)

Just updating the results of the 4-wheel drive conversion of the Blackfoot Extreme. The conversion was a big hit. The stock speed control has held up well and the run times do not seem to have decreased much if at all. Today we took the truck to the local dam, and the truck was able to climb the banking at the dam fairly steep and about 50ft. high, grass surface. The only thing I would do differant if I were to do it again would be to use the front shocks from the Tower Hobbies ST15 nitro truck instead of the front shocks from the Duratrax buggy as the Duratrax shocks weep a bit of oil and they do not appear to have replacable o-rings while the ST15 shocks do have replacable o-rings also the springs that come with the duratrax shocks are a little too soft so I ordered firmer ones for them while possibly the springs on the ST15 shock might be firm enough. At any rate the longer travel oil shocks have made a huge improvement in the handling of the truck.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:23 PM
magnat

We Must have a Vid of it climbing the Dam Wall !!!!!
Old 05-25-2008, 05:57 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

Twin 19t's and 4x4 make for a ton of fun. You may find that the rear motor gets hotter than the front motor. Just mess with the gearing untill the front and rear temps match, your rear pinion will probably end up being a tooth or two lower than the front.
There are only two pinions you can use, unless you modify it. 18 tooth and 20 tooth.
I own a double blaze which is the same thing except for wheel color and body.