Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What the heck is going on with my Tsunami?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Redcat.ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the heck is going on with my Tsunami?

Hey there i brought in a Redcat Tsunami and did the brushless swap....im running a fully chaarged 3000 Ni-Mh battery and the problem is when i punch the throttle is shakes and twitches(starts and stops) ...my controler batteries are good ,i even changed the crystals in case one may have been faulty.Can anyone help me.I m going to try to upload my video and maybe someone can help if not i can send it to your email if you think u might have an idea.thanks
Old 05-23-2008, 09:45 AM
SavageX78

Default RE: What the heck is going on with my Tsunami?

Sounds like the Battery cant handle the amperage the motors trying to pull. Thatss why most switch to lipo when they go brushless.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Redcat.ca

Well thats kinda what im thinking...its funy redcat doesnt let you know this and furthermore even sell lipo batteries..well thats a pi$$ off,who am i gonna sell a brushless angine and esc to without a lipo and god knows the lipo batts are not cheap
Old 05-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Redvanmafia

3000mah nimh's?, there probs just your everyday cheap 3000mah batterys They woulda died on a 17t, and your brushless system is barly even reconizing them, aka Cogging badly, go lipo, you'll be rippin
Old 05-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Longhair

There are a lot of lipo's out there that won't break the bank.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:03 PM
pede_187

Did you use the Redcat 3000mAh battery because those don't work. Firstrc, said he tried them and it didn't even work. He's now getting on demand wheelies with a 7 cell ener-g 4600 http://www.boomboombatteries.com/pro...7c_traxxas.htm
Old 05-23-2008, 02:14 PM
number40
Banned

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

3000mah nimh's?, there probs just your everyday cheap 3000mah batterys

what he said ^^^^^
Old 05-23-2008, 09:10 PM
nikg

I'm not familiar with the Redcat system, but Lipo is not necessary to run brushless. My buddy runs all NIMH in his rustler VXL and it cooks along just fine. He runs everything from cheapos to Venoms to Maxamps to GP's and they all work fine. Maybe the Redcat system demands more amps? I don't know?

Are the batteries in decent shape? A decent brand? What kind of connectors are you using, because if they are Tamiyas then you need to dump them for Deans.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 PM
firstrc
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah the redcat 3000 mah do not work with the brushless. Nick at redcat verified this and gave me credit for the ones I bought.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:11 AM
islandturbos

I have the red cat brushless system. Using nimh battery

With a venom 3600 battery, 10 minutes then after it starts to chug when the battery is low.

Venom 5000, around 20 minute use then it weirds out.

With the stock REDCAT 1800mah battery about 4-5 minutes use then it dies.

What kind of charger do you have? Maybe the cells are damaged in your battery. How many amps do you charge your battery with? Is you battery old?

Old 05-24-2008, 09:19 PM
firstrc

ORIGINAL: islandturbos

With a venom 3600 battery, 10 minutes then after it starts to chug when the battery is low.

What kind of charger do you have? Maybe the cells are damaged in your battery. How many amps do you charge your battery with? Is you battery old?

If the 3000 mah battery is a redcat battery it will not work no matter what the answers are to those questions... It is a known problem (known at redcat) that the redcat 3000mah's do not work with the redcat brushless.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:18 AM
islandturbos

ORIGINAL: firstrc

If the 3000 mah battery is a redcat battery it will not work no matter what the answers are to those questions... It is a known problem (known at redcat) that the redcat 3000mah's do not work with the redcat brushless.

The only redcat battery i have is the stock 1800mah battery and it works with my brushless for a few mins
Old 05-25-2008, 06:06 AM
The Mad Modder

What brushless system are you using? My brother uses a stock novak system and gets at least 1/2 hour from 3000mah venom and even radioshack batteries.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Lilredmachine

It's down to the system and the condition of the pack. A poor pack that has been treated badly over it's life or has a defect from the factory may not even run the system. No doubt NIMH can propel brushless, but it's a whole different world from Lipo.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:13 AM
firstrc

ORIGINAL: firstrc

The only redcat battery i have is the stock 1800mah battery and it works with my brushless for a few mins

Yeah the 1800's will work but only for a few minutes as you said. The problem is known so far only with the 3000's
Old 05-27-2008, 05:05 PM
islandturbos

Hey man go get a 5000 battery, i just got one i get 20 minutes of play out my red cat brushless, kit and that is almost full throttle all the time drifting. And if it still cut outs even with a 5000 battery you may have bad connection, our controller our receiver problem.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:14 PM
pede_187

I'd highly recommend the tenergy propel cells. I would NOT recommend the other tenergy cells as they are very poor for brushless. I built 2 packs out of propel cells in a 6 cell SxS. I'd also recommend deans connectors which will help with any resistance.

[link=http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1992]Propel 6 Cell Stick[/link]
[link=http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1991]Loose Propel Cells[/link]
Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 PM
pickarw

pede- I am an novice and just bought my son his first rc.. the volcano EPX electric brushed (now after reading for a few days thinking should have gone brushless) and needed to know about upgrading my battery to get more than 10 min run time. What current battery do you recommend (same propel from this 2008 thread?) and do I need to buy a new charger? I only have the 1800 and charger that came with the truck.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Brainanator

invest in a better charger, get on that can charge lipos for the future.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:50 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

if you are set on nimh try cheapbatterypacks.com or promatchracing.com they carry lipo too and for more lipo on the cheap side try hobbycity.com. and the recommendation of a lipo compatible charger cannot be stressed enough.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:52 AM
gman1

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._hardcase_pack

Here is the best Lipo battery on the entire web for only $33.95. The run time, quality and punch is far superior to that of cheaper cells that some companies try to pass off as being good, when in actuality they are subpar. I would stay away from Tenergy cells, as i have experience with them first hand and I will tell you that I was very disappointed. Maybe things have changed, but I personally wouldn't chance the risk of ever buying them ever again. The Lipo pack that i pointed you out to is basically the same as the SMC Lightning Volts 4000Mah pack, but for a fraction of the price. The quality of the cells are right up there with even Team Orion, but much better for the wallet. If your not happy with the pack, I will personally refund you the money out of my own pocket.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:06 AM
pickarw

Thank you all.

Gman1, what kind of run time do you think this battery delivers?
Old 10-11-2009, 06:54 PM
gman1

ORIGINAL: pickarw

Thank you all.

Gman1, what kind of run time do you think this battery delivers?

No, problem my friend. The 4000 Mah depending on the application it's being used for will give you run times from anywhere between 30-45 minutes. It's a quite impressive battery for sure and as i said before, you won't be disappointed with it. If you have anymore questions, just let me know