Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Traxxas slash looks better (looks and features)
52.11%
Losi Desert truck looks better (looks and features)
26.06%
I have driven both and the losi performs better
14.08%
I have driven both and the traxxas performs better
7.75%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Traxxas Slash Vs Losi Desert Truck, which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:15 AM
infanterene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas Slash Vs Losi Desert Truck, which is better?

Everyone who thinks that the slash is going to drive the same as a rustler is very mistaken. I saw a picture of a slash next to a rustler and its longer and wider. Longer wheelbase and wider track will make a huge dfference in stability.

For example the XXXT-CR is .200" longer than the old XXXT and it drives much better. The DT is about .6" longer still and i think that with a little work might drive even better that the XXXT-CR. I think the slash is atlest an inch longer and 1/2 inch wider than the rustler.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 AM
sloppyG

longer and wider will not fix cheap shocks and poorly chosen spring rates

the slash will not magically be much better than the rustler/pede with such a tiny change, it mainly LOOKS bigger because of the big puffy body on it

the slash will just be a fun basher, like the other traxxas stuff, it's not ever going to be very capable on a track
Old 06-04-2008, 03:30 PM
chevroletman17

i am going to agree with most of the people here. the losi will out perform the brick for sure. but then again having class with just the slash's going head to head would be sweet. the losi has a better radio system but the traxxis had waterproof electronics and the esc goes down to 12 turns and can handle a 7 cell batt. losi cannot stock. but still i think the losi is much better, like people have said before it's built off a race proven chassis. i thnk that alone is enough to convince someone that losi is better
Old 06-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: smydtraxxis17

i am going to agree with most of the people here. the losi will out perform the brick for sure. but then again having class with just the slash's going head to head would be sweet. the losi has a better radio system but the traxxis had waterproof electronics and the esc goes down to 12 turns and can handle a 7 cell batt. losi cannot stock. but still i think the losi is much better, like people have said before it's built off a race proven chassis. i thnk that alone is enough to convince someone that losi is better

the XL-5 ESC can only handle 550 motors down to 12turns. normal 540 motors it can only handle 15turns. The Losi one can handle 12t 540 motors.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Maggster
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: smydtraxxis17

"...out perform..." "...Losi is better."
That depends totally on what your doing with it. There really is no way to say either one is better than the other without defining your usage.

For what I would use it for, the Slash would be better. Traxxas parts are available anywhere, they are usually more bashable to begin with. Any racing I do will be completely informal as my lhs is 40 miles away so the Losi being a race proven design really doesn't mean anything to me. The radio would be nice, but the waterproofing would more than cancel that out.

All in all, everyone needs to decide for themselves. I am sure there both great trucks.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:48 PM
secretsg

Go for Losi.... XXX-T vs modded rustler.... Enough said.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: secretsg

Go for Losi.... XXX-T vs modded rustler.... Enough said.
ya. I am still wondering how Losi could get the xxx-t design which is $270 into a $230 truck with a better radio (IMO vs. the xr2i) roll cage, functional MCD lights, and the cool looking tires and body.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Always Dreamin

The Losi will out handle the Slash. If you prefer Traxxas, go for the Slash. The Losi has better features, such as the roll cage, 2.4ghz, and led's. It's all up to what you like. I know the Slash will be a very strong basher from what I've seen. But I can't exactly call the Losi fragile.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Chris_RC

everyone who has the DT has never broke a part thru hard bashing and they say the roll cages and lcd lights hold up good to bashing.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

everyone who has the DT has never broke a part thru hard bashing and they say the roll cages and lcd lights hold up good to bashing.
If the Losi is proven to be durable, I would say the choice is obvious. I do think the Slash looks better, but at this point that doesn't really make much of a difference.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:13 PM
cheech4

losi hands down, better handling, much better radio, plus its a LOSI.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:25 AM
infernalstone

I'm personally picking up a Slash. I like the scale looks. The Losi roll cage is pretty nice looking, though.

But as far as performance... well, an opinion of mine is unfair since my non-racing garage consists of a Lunchbox, Juggernaut 2 and a Mad Force. That says enough of what I think about super duper performance.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:31 PM
5B-PILOT

HERE IS MY POST FROM ANOTHER SIMILAR THREAD i cant believe this subject even exists as the losi resembles a pro 2 truck about as much as a stick resembles a stone. i have raced losi's for years ( since the jrx2 ) and i was a die hard losi guy until i stopped racing a few years back. . im not bashing losi in any way other than they completely missed the mark on the desert / pro 2 truck kit . it is an open wheel truck period and should not be considered slash competition in any way ... the only similarity is 2 wheel drive thats it. they made some new bumpers and not to scale wheels and tires and a new body that is still a narrow open wheel body. the slash on the other hand is a genuine new class of trucks***scale 2wd full body scale wheel** that means these trucks lend themselves to rubbing fenders with your competitors while racing . with out all the associated pitfalls of racing traditional stadium trucks with the wheels hanging out ready to tangle up with all the other trucks on the track.and believe me rubbing fenders with your opponent while racing is a lot more fun than trying to avoid touching the other racers. and if its just you and some friends out in the neighborhood it is a blast to run fender to fender without worry of being flipped or visa versa.
i had a few of the tamiya 1/12 scale prerunners back in the day 2 ivan stewarts and one chevy. and im here to tell you i have never had such a fun time in my rc hobby on any level . as the times i had running those slow stock motored trucks with my friends . they were 4 wd but the main point is the realism factor was there . when the truck looks just like the truck you just watched win a race on tv .it changes your perspective. it is a whole different animal . and it is wildly entertaining.
i dont intend on preaching to any one here but it seems as if alot of people on the web that are talking about the slash have never even seen a coor pro 2 race or a coor pro 2 truck for that matter. and alot of people would do well to go to the coor website and watch some real action . with real trucks. before cutting down the slash because it looks different or the body is to wide or it wont go around the carpet track with out flipping all the time or it just cant keep up with my touring car on the pavement. the slash is built with a purpose ... to be a scale replica of a real truck . that races in the dirt. like the real truck. the losi is a scale replica of nothing in real life. period.
i got my slash about 2 weeks ago and being some one who seen the first associated buggy be released. and the first traxxas and so on . i have to say traxxas has come a long way in my book . i realy never liked traxxas and mostly because of their molding process was not impressive and the fasteners they used was sub par for racing and other little details. but i have seen alot of them take one hell of a beating and even some do very well racing at the club level. even on the slash there are some very questionable components i have noticed. as i have completely tore down the truck twice now. and the first time there were alot of binding going on with the steering components and suspension pivots.but its an easy fix , also the tranny case is poorly sealed and the plastic used is to soft it should have a stiffer composite plastic with closer tolerances than the current grey one. also the tranny has many points that will let dirt into not only the gear cover but also directly into the tranny gears . which being a racer i find that the biggest problem . as nothing will hurt your lap times as bad as a dirty gear-case. HOWEVER .... I LOVE THIS TRUCK HANDS DOWN. I HAVE RESURRECTED MY INTEREST IN THIS HOBBY BECAUSE OF THIS TRUCK .
i have some tricks to seal up the stock tranny and cover as well as some other details . i will post photos and info soon for any one who wants to get the most out of your slash.
i have changed to a hand wound 15 turn triple orion motor and now after getting rid of the binding steering and binding swing arms this thing is silky smooth and still basically stock. now it handles my track twice as good as it did out of the box. i have on order a set of mip cvds and graphite towers and front rpm arms and rpm gear cover . which should help the suspension to get the power to the ground
i believe that as soon as the after-market catches up with this truck and other companies actually come out with REAL SCALE competition for the slash this will be the next huge thing in rc.....SCALE COMPETITION ********MARK MY WORDS THIS INDUSTRY HAS BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR A LONG TIME THEY JUST DONT KNOW IT YET .
Old 06-20-2008, 07:45 PM
hpiguy

You guys are sitting here debating two TOTALLY different trucksin this pointless and senseless debate.

One is called a "desert truck" and it's NOTHING like the scale ones run in the Baja races. NOTHING. All it is is a nice Losi racing truck with a different body and plastic roll cage. That's it. No debating. If you think calling it a different name makes it different, you are retarded. Literally.

The other is called a scale CORR truck, and by every aspect aside from a solid rear diff, it is. Scale body, scale wheels, scale tires, scale profile and dimensions.

YOU CANNOT COMPARE THE TWO.

The trucks you CAN compare in this class? Tamiya's PreRunners which are still made, Thunder Tech's truck if it ever makes it to market, Losi's old XX4 conversion truck and this Slash. There is nothing else like them on the market. These are all scale CORR or Baja 1000 type trucks. Losi's current rig is NOT in this class of trucks.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:05 PM
BigTb17

I'm not trying to argue, but in the Desert Truck threads I have read about broken suspension arms, broken chassis, burnt up ESC, and multiple people with stripped idler gears in the transmission.

I'm not saying it isn't durable, but to say nobody with a Desert Truck has broken a part is untrue.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:29 PM
04DarkShadowGT

Ok so what was the point in bumping a 15 day old thread just to post a novel that is copied from another thread alot like this one.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: BigTb17

I'm not trying to argue, but in the Desert Truck threads I have read about broken suspension arms, broken chassis, burnt up ESC, and multiple people with stripped idler gears in the transmission.

I'm not saying it isn't durable, but to say nobody with a Desert Truck has broken a part is untrue.
That post I made was from a while ago. Once clamber got his DT it was a whole different story with his Orion 17t BB motor.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:40 PM
BigTb17

Yeah, I didn't realize that this thread was a bit old until DarkShadow mentioned it.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:05 PM
clamber

ORIGINAL: BigTb17

That post I made was from a while ago. Once clamber got his DT it was a whole different story with his Orion 17t BB motor.

Lol, yup. I couldnt stay awat from the curb!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:19 PM
losifiend

You need to add a "who cares" option.

I have a slash and I didnt buy it to race. I will race it but thats not wahy I bought it. If I wanted a race truck I would of bought a factory team kit.

For $199 I couldnt pass up the Slash since I had a spare DSM reciever for my DX3R. That Losi transmitter is the same that came with my MLST2 and only has about a 200 foot range, if that. I gave it to my dog to chew on.

So go out and buy what suites you, enjoy it, and stop worrying about what any one else would buy![8D]
Old 06-20-2008, 11:41 PM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: hpiguy

You guys are sitting here debating two TOTALLY different trucksin this pointless and senseless debate.

One is called a "desert truck" and it's NOTHING like the scale ones run in the Baja races. NOTHING. All it is is a nice Losi racing truck with a different body and plastic roll cage. That's it. No debating. If you think calling it a different name makes it different, you are retarded. Literally.

The other is called a scale CORR truck, and by every aspect aside from a solid rear diff, it is. Scale body, scale wheels, scale tires, scale profile and dimensions.

The trucks you CAN compare in this class? Tamiya's PreRunners which are still made, Thunder Tech's truck if it ever makes it to market, Losi's old XX4 conversion truck and this Slash. There is nothing else like them on the market. These are all scale CORR or Baja 1000 type trucks. Losi's current rig is NOT in this class of trucks.
Isnt the Losi Desert Truck based off a different type of truck altogether?
That is the same thing I was thinking.

The losi seems like it's based off just like it says "desert Truck". The actual full scale desert trucks they race in the Sahara desert.
Tamiya Prerunners??? You have to be talking about the Chevy S10(no longer made) and the F150.
Thunder Tech's truck looks the best I must say if you can manage to get one that is.[X(]
Old 06-21-2008, 03:21 PM
hpiguy

ORIGINAL: B44&501xRacerEX

ORIGINAL: hpiguy

Isnt the Losi Desert Truck based off a different type of truck altogether?
That is the same thing I was thinking.

The losi seems like it's based off just like it says "desert Truck". The actual full scale desert trucks they race in the Sahara desert.
Tamiya Prerunners??? You have to be talking about the Chevy S10(no longer made) and the F150.
Thunder Tech's truck looks the best I must say if you can manage to get one that is.[X(]

This is a desert truck, or Baja 1000 truck or Pre-Runner as they are called below:

http://www.knfilters.com/images/press/jefferies2.jpg

Losi's truck, with it's wheels way the hell outside the body doesn't look like that. With the roll sage it does, but that whole wheel, suspension arm way out ruins it.

The Slash is a replica of a CORR truck, which is almost the same as a Baja Truck in the full size world. The Slash looks like what it is called.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:52 PM
clamber

The DT would look just like the Slash if it had a huge chassis and a huge body...
Old 06-21-2008, 04:01 PM
IloveMYxt2

I vote for Slash. I am in no way a Traxxas fan and dislike them very much, but the Slash looks awesome. Just cause it comes with plastic shocks shouldnt steer you away from getting it. You can always buy aluminum shocks. The Slash actually looks like a CORR truck or desert truck and there are videos on Youtube.com to see it being bashed over and over. Just search Traxxas Slash and you will find videos.

Losi is again one of the best, but with their DT, they messed up. If your going to call it a desert truck, then make it look like one. Whats with the wheels sticking out so far? My little Evader EXT looks like the DT with the wheels sticking out. IMO, thats ugly.

Dude get the Slash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpNgLSLvFsg

Old 06-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Krazy Chicken

This is a desert truck, or Baja 1000 truck or Pre-Runner as they are called below:

Losi's truck, with it's wheels way the hell outside the body doesn't look like that. With the roll sage it does, but that whole wheel, suspension arm way out ruins it.

The Slash is a replica of a CORR truck, which is almost the same as a Baja Truck in the full size world. The Slash looks like what it is called.
what about this? it kinda looks like the desert truck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.