Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Traxxas slash looks better (looks and features)
52.11%
Losi Desert truck looks better (looks and features)
26.06%
I have driven both and the losi performs better
14.08%
I have driven both and the traxxas performs better
7.75%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Traxxas Slash Vs Losi Desert Truck, which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:44 PM
gravitygust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas Slash Vs Losi Desert Truck, which is better?

I own both. I like both of them. You can't compare apples to oranges! Completely different animals! Wouldn't want to be without either one.

http://www.nehp.net/~jimw/slash/rc%20cars%20001.jpg
Old 02-14-2009, 12:10 AM
Damo_MadTruck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gravitygust

I own both. I like both of them. You can't compare apples to oranges! Completely different animals! Wouldn't want to be without either one.

http://www.nehp.net/~jimw/slash/rc%20cars%20001.jpg
Dude, you have all the rc cars i want in your collection. i wish i could afford all those. [&o]
Old 02-14-2009, 01:19 AM
ramp4ge

Eh, stumbled on this looking for aftermarket stuff for the Desert Truck, which is largely nonexistant.

I own both trucks. I have driven both extensively in both stock and modified setups.

The Slash has far more wheeltime under it (Because it's so much more fun...), and has never broken anything. I've owned it for 5 months, have since gone VXL/LiPo, run it head-long into pallets WOT and have never broken anything. I've *TRIED* to break this truck more times then I can count so I can justify buying the cool red stuff for it (Which I broke down and bought anyway...), and just couldn't do it.. Jumps off the 2nd story roof of my house, straight into brick walls while airborne, afternoons at the local skatepark where it spent more time in the air then on the ground..You just can't kill the thing.

My Desert Truck...

Has next to no DT-specific aftermarket support (No bodies, no tires, no wheels, no aluminum goodies, while Slash aftermarket support is massive and getting even more massive all the time), has crappy electronics stock (Yes, the ESCs are junk. Mine died on the 4th run. Had to drop in an LRP. Even the 2.4 gig radio is iffy and has range issues..), and I've broken more parts on the thing in the handfull of runs I've actually put under it then I'd care to count.

Let a buddy take it out the other day. He was coasting down a hill and one of the bellcranks snapped. Seriously..Why?

Losi isn't Losi anymore, as someone has pointed out. Losi has been practically abandoned by it's namesake because of the poor quality of the products. Losi has also pretty much become a Horizon-specific brand name, so good luck finding parts at non-Horizon shops. Even my LHS which is a Horizon dealer has a tiny Losi wall, compared to everything else in the shop.

I know this was put to rest a long time ago, but I figured I'd give my two cents after both trucks have been around 6+ months.

The Slash is the obvious winner. How many "Sportsman DT Class" races do you see? Slash wins for both the racer and the basher. They are comparable in the fact that they were designed to appeal to the same market (Baja/CORR truck fans) and the Slash won hands down, for many reasons.

It's inexpensive.
It's durable as hell.
It's easy to get parts for.
It's easy to repair (being XXXT-based, the DT is a complicated truck..not the easiest for a newbie to wrench on.)
It has it's own race class('s).
It has massive after market support.
You can get parts anywhere (Not just Horizon dealers)
It has better electronics (The old TQs are cheesy, but damnit, they work. And they work well.)
It handles more like the truck it was designed to mimic.
It looks better..Especially with one of the Proline or Parma shells..
It's just more fun..

I've never seen anything in the RC world fly like a Slash does. You get some speed behind it and I swear you become a fixed-wing pilot. It gets more air off the smallest jump then should be legally possible. And even on stock shocks, if you don't "stall it" and pancake it in, it lands very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hG2nIUegA

Self-correcting flight characteristics? I think that's a first! Lol. Seriously..that extra-long chassis must produce lift or something.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:28 AM
Budget Monty

I like the scale appearance of the slash better, but would guess that the losi performs better. I am a nut for scale looking cars, I would get the Slash. The losi just looks like every other stadium RC truck.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:24 AM
speedtrash

had my slash with a mamba max and 7700 kv since i bought it i ran 3 series until i burnt out my 3 cell now i run 2 cell. and the only things ive broken are my chassis going about 45(with the wind)turning over on a wheelie and sliding into a parked truck. and my rear skidplade launching off a flight of stairs and landing on my tail. other than that ive ripped my esc outta the car from impact more than once and the slash is tough as nails. this is only traxxas truck ill say that about cause ive had a couple traxxas's before and they did something different this time. like stated in above posts i too like to break my trucks. i think i enjoy watchin the cool stuff that happens when they break mor that driving. and im on mamba max # 2 right now for the record.

and as for which is better, the losi doesnt seem to be as rigid and tough as the slash partly due to the longer arms it has which would give it better handling charactoristics while sacraficing strength. while i havent upgraded anything on my slash(other than mamba max,7700kv) i think the losi would need some rpm arms and beefier arm hinge mounts(forget what theyre called)
Old 02-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: ramp4ge

Eh, stumbled on this looking for aftermarket stuff for the Desert Truck, which is largely nonexistant.

I own both trucks. I have driven both extensively in both stock and modified setups.

The Slash has far more wheeltime under it (Because it's so much more fun...), and has never broken anything. I've owned it for 5 months, have since gone VXL/LiPo, run it head-long into pallets WOT and have never broken anything. I've *TRIED* to break this truck more times then I can count so I can justify buying the cool red stuff for it (Which I broke down and bought anyway...), and just couldn't do it.. Jumps off the 2nd story roof of my house, straight into brick walls while airborne, afternoons at the local skatepark where it spent more time in the air then on the ground..You just can't kill the thing.

My Desert Truck...

Has next to no DT-specific aftermarket support (No bodies, no tires, no wheels, no aluminum goodies, while Slash aftermarket support is massive and getting even more massive all the time), has crappy electronics stock (Yes, the ESCs are junk. Mine died on the 4th run. Had to drop in an LRP. Even the 2.4 gig radio is iffy and has range issues..), and I've broken more parts on the thing in the handfull of runs I've actually put under it then I'd care to count.

Let a buddy take it out the other day. He was coasting down a hill and one of the bellcranks snapped. Seriously..Why?

Losi isn't Losi anymore, as someone has pointed out. Losi has been practically abandoned by it's namesake because of the poor quality of the products. Losi has also pretty much become a Horizon-specific brand name, so good luck finding parts at non-Horizon shops. Even my LHS which is a Horizon dealer has a tiny Losi wall, compared to everything else in the shop.

I know this was put to rest a long time ago, but I figured I'd give my two cents after both trucks have been around 6+ months.

The Slash is the obvious winner. How many "Sportsman DT Class" races do you see? Slash wins for both the racer and the basher. They are comparable in the fact that they were designed to appeal to the same market (Baja/CORR truck fans) and the Slash won hands down, for many reasons.

It's inexpensive.
It's durable as hell.
It's easy to get parts for.
It's easy to repair (being XXXT-based, the DT is a complicated truck..not the easiest for a newbie to wrench on.)
It has it's own race class('s).
It has massive after market support.
You can get parts anywhere (Not just Horizon dealers)
It has better electronics (The old TQs are cheesy, but damnit, they work. And they work well.)
It handles more like the truck it was designed to mimic.
It looks better..Especially with one of the Proline or Parma shells..
It's just more fun..

I've never seen anything in the RC world fly like a Slash does. You get some speed behind it and I swear you become a fixed-wing pilot. It gets more air off the smallest jump then should be legally possible. And even on stock shocks, if you don't "stall it" and pancake it in, it lands very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hG2nIUegA

Self-correcting flight characteristics? I think that's a first! Lol. Seriously..that extra-long chassis must produce lift or something.

The reason why there isnt many upgrades for the DT is that it was based off a RACING platform. Aluminum parts are heavier and make itperform worse. Try Losi EA3 or graphite, I prefer graphite. The reason Losi released all these RTR's was to fund R&D towards their 8ight 2.0, and 8t 2.0. I mean they made major cahnges on both those vehicles and are now alot better. This is what paid for the R&D. Theses Losi RTR's are NOT Losi anymore. They are Losi sport. Their race vehicles are Losi. If you want to get real Losi quality then buy their high end kits.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:23 PM
ramp4ge

The reason why there isnt many upgrades for the DT is that it was based off a RACING platform.
So was the RC10T3, the RC10GT, the GT2 and the T4. All of which have massive aftermarket support.

To say that there's no aftermarket support because it's on a race platform (Even tho it's not a race vehicle itself); that's just silly. If the design itself was popular, especially with all of the XXXT-based RTRs that have been released, there would be aftermarket support.

There isn't.

And if you want to get really technical, with all of the Slash classes popping up left and right, you could say the Slash IS a race platform.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:14 PM
SnailPowered

Well I am sure that this thread is WAY back deep in the archives of RCU but I have to say that I am currently attempting to sell my OFNA Hyper 7 PCR Pro to get a Slash! After everything I have seen this truck do and drive away from I am SOLD! This is the RC vehicle that I have always wanted! If I want to fix broken parts I'll crash a plane. From all the videos on youtube it seems to me that breaking you slash gives you bragging rights to being a HARDCORE basher! I favor Losi just because...I don't really know why LOL. I never liked the T-Maxx because my friend's had one and I NEVER saw it drive because it was ALWAYS broken. Their Savage was ten times the truck the Maxx was. I don't know if there is a thread or not (if not someone should start one) that has people list the parts they have managed to break on a slash! Anyway, Thank you to all the people that post, you're spreading valuable insight to people like me with 2 RC cars and I appreciate your time
Old 03-04-2009, 11:57 PM
ramp4ge

They're practically bomb-proof. I broke my Slash for the first time this weekend..A rear hub carrier. It's the first part I've broken in 6 months of owning the truck. It really is everything I've ever wanted out of an RC vehicle. It's fast (It was "quick" stock, it's a bullet with VXL), it has very unique handling and driving styles, it is tough as nails and it looks fantastic.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Chris_RC

I hate this thread. That was when I was stupid and didnt know anything about the slash! I would liek to say one more thing, I definitly DO NOT agree with this statement made by the OP:

"Hardware (screws) Traxxas uses hex hardware throughout Winner = Traxxas"

Is Traxxas quality that bad? Hex hardware should have been standard for about 10 years now except for HSP right? Losi has been using hex hardware since the easrly 90s.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:00 AM
mufflerbearing

Is Traxxas quality that bad? Hex hardware should have been standard for about 10 years now except for HSP right? Losi has been using hex hardware since the easrly 90s.

Hey people, don't buy the slash! It uses high-quality hex hardware!LMAO!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 AM
JPerrone

When the 2 came out I thought they were neat but only wanted one of them. Nobody has either where I am so I have been watching this thread. At first I liked the looks of the Slash; but then I say a foto of it and it looks bigger than I want. The DT started looking better and I almost ordered it; but dropped in on this thread. Reading the last two pages has helped make up my mind.

I want a Rustler so I won't have to hear anymore about Slash and DT!!!

regards
Old 09-06-2009, 03:24 PM
mdst1960

I must admit I agree 100% i own 2 Stock (couple upgrages with suspension & shocks) slashes and can't wait untill my Strike gets here. Your compairisons are right on the money as far as my limited knowlege tells me. I was wondering how would you rate the HPI Blitz? I just Pre- Orederd that one also but they are not due untill mid October. I would love to hear you comments on it compaired to AE SC10 as well any chance you will do a compairison of all 4? if you don't plan on getting a Blitz in the future I would be glad to give you some feedback since I will be owning all 4 brands any day now. Great job! (like I said i can't vote untill my Losi strike shows up)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68364.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1269755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31988.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1269756   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26504.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1269757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19651.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1269758  
Old 09-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Redvanmafia

Slash is one of the more durable ones