Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Could a wheely king be built to go fast and bash?, no crawling ability needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Could a wheely king be built to go fast and bash?, no crawling ability needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:28 AM
beandog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could a wheely king be built to go fast and bash?, no crawling ability needed

I was wondering if a wheely king could be built for speed, bashing and jumping etc, with a motor change and gearing change, would this be possible, I would like a four wheel drive basher and one of the no electronics wheely king kits is a decent price I could throw my electronics in it, but I wonder if anyone has tried this yet. My esc can go to 15 turns. will this provide enough to get one of these moving fast or will it be too little torque, and too heavy a rig? Handling is no concern I just want speed air and 4wheel drive.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Redvanmafia

Default RE: Could a wheely king be built to go fast and bash?, no crawling ability needed

go for it, it'd make a cool little ripper 15t should have one movin around pretty good
Old 06-09-2008, 08:50 AM
04DarkShadowGT

Default RE: Could a wheely king be built to go fast and bash?, no crawling ability needed

The wheely king gets really old really quickly as a normal basher. Wheelies are only fun for so long, that thing cant turn for anything and flips over so much.

For the $210 that the wheely king costs you can add just a little more and get an E-savage sport for $269 on tower.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:57 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i put a 20t motor into my wheely king, and had 4 wheel steering on it. it was alittle tipsy, but could do awsome dounuts and looked more like a real monster truck. i didnt run that motor for long, so i cant say how long the drive train would hold up. crawling is hard on a drivetrain tho, and i didnt hav any problem after i truned it into a crawler.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:07 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

My WK (before it was made into a crawler) was set-up so it could ride wheelies nearly any length of smooth stretch.

I think that it was never a good "basher" though cuz of the turning over sideways. A lot of work may make it a racer/basher , but it is easier to buy something different.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:34 PM
brushlessboy16

Check this thread out, a guy competing at WFRCCC with a wk, MM system, and 4s lipo

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...d.php?t=240601
Old 06-09-2008, 03:54 PM
ozium

I've seen a few Youtube videos with a brushless WK. As expected the motor does a great job making it go fast but the handling is dismal. The center of gravity on the WK is very high and toward the rear to make wheelies easier but that just kills the handling. It will be interesting to see it do a few high-speed runs but that's all it will be good for.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

RC 4WD has a lot of nice stuff for the Wheelie King. Kinda of expensive, but really well made and hard to find anywhere else.
[link=http://rc4wdstore.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=king]RC 4WD[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39135.jpg
Views:	1762
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	967463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57376.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	967464  
Old 06-09-2008, 07:09 PM
scottb32
My Feedback: (-1)

As an ex-racer geek, I should probably hate the wheely king. Solid axles, terrible center of gravity, limited upgrade potential - yuck.

Truth is, I love mine (my son has one too). Yes, they are prone to rolling over (especially on asphalt). I ended up switching to saddle packs mounted on the side (this helped somewhat). I also intend to move the servo to the front axle and esc/receiver as low as possible. What I like the most is the lack of maintenace required. I run a mamba max and my rear diff has lasted a good 50+ packs. NOTE: The stock servo-saver is junk, buy a Kimbrough servo-saver and install it. Also, I would lock the rear diff (it helps a ton for crawling, yet is still drivable on road).

We drive ours around the yard, over the rockery, through the neighbors yard (when he's gone). It's just a fun vehicle that goes nearly anywher and holds together.

Note: I had an E-Savage (E-zilla) - it was a great truck - very quick - a great deal. But the driveline is a little fragile and having to use 2-packs per run slows down the fun factor (too much charging, not enough playing).
Old 06-09-2008, 07:18 PM
rcplayer

darkshadow made a very good point. only $60 more for a savage.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:04 AM
nickd

I agree with scottb32 its a lot of fun, I have owned higher end racers and many different styles of vehicles but i have to say this seems to be more versatile and a whole lotta fun
I have the arr as you were planning to get (130) not the rtr which is 220 an put a 10T esc and my own metal gear servo in it, I also replaced the motor with a better 27t motor it does wheelies only if you slam on the gas, if you know how to drive it performs fine I rolled the first couple days but you soon realize how much you need to slow down to turn,
For your purposes I would say add a s-600 motor, change the gearing, leave in the rear support between the rear links and possibly get another for the front which will stop the articulation and body roll. Possibly change out the wheels and tires for something lighter weight with foams.
Have a look at this, I have already got all the mods has has but not installed them yet. (I also have the 4wd version)
http://myrcmt.com/review/wheely/
Old 06-10-2008, 01:05 AM
beandog

Yeah thats more along the lines of what i want it to do and yes i was talking about the almost ready to run not the rtr which costs considerably more. I wish he would have jumped that thing too judge what kind of air it can get. I wonder if the standard reversing of the pack to be the front end would solve some of the handling/wheely issues, I know all the crawlers do it, as a must do mod. But that defenitely looks like a good 4x4 budget basher.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:18 AM
04DarkShadowGT

Its definatly a good way to get a 4x4 cheap with the ARTR version, but there certainly are better handling and jumping trucks out there.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:31 PM
PT-19boy

yes the wheely king can jump, i jump mine all the time, i can do front flips off a flat bed semi trailer, it's a very good basher i bash mine all the time and have not broke one thing. i got the rtr but either ones a good choice. in fact that's why i got mine, to bash with.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:01 PM
nickd

I also jump mine, I made a small ramp only about 6" high to start off, it ended up being a 1 foot + by the end, very fun, just be careful and let off the gas in mid air so you don't give the gears any problems (applies to all cars being jumped)
swaping the chassis may be fun if you dont want any wheelies I am happy with it in the stock configuration, it is nothing like in the video (though i hope it soon is lol)
Old 06-29-2008, 09:45 AM
9five9

I want to get the no-electronics one. my pede is all busted up, so I would probably just put the XL-5 esc and titan motor on the wheely king and ditch the rest of the pede...at least for now. would the drive train on a stock pede hold up to faster speeds? my main reason I want to do this is the scale aspect of it. I like full scale monster trucks and want to build a scale version of one. I think the wk would be perfect, i'm just wondering about the drive train for faster speeds
Old 06-29-2008, 09:46 AM
9five9

oops, i meant the drive train on a stock WK, not pede, sorry
Old 06-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Anything's possible as long as you put your mind to it.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:32 PM
NjBasher

maybe you can make the axles wider so it doesn't turn over
Old 06-29-2008, 03:34 PM
mindwreck

and some trial and error. it needs to be lowered a bit. making it wider would help with the handling. anti-roll bars would also help a lot.

ORIGINAL: Takedown

Anything's possible as long as you put your mind to it.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:15 PM
9five9

can the stock tranny gears take the stress of a faster motor in a wheely king or are there metal gear upgrades that I'm not finding online anywhere?
Old 06-30-2008, 02:59 PM
muti369

use a fiegao 6xl on 3 or 4s lipo really fast and fun
Old 06-30-2008, 06:39 PM
9five9

but can the tranny take it in the long run?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 PM
BINFORD

RC4WD makes a hardened steel gearset

http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=803

Make sure the diffs are shimed properly

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...highlight=shim
Old 09-07-2008, 08:50 PM
ESB

I dropped a 19t into my WK and the gears sound like a baseball card in the spokes on a bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.