Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

E-FireStorm, Flux, Rustler VXL, or what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:44 AM
rsr427

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-FireStorm, Flux, Rustler VXL, or what?

I am itching to get a truck, and specifically I'd like to have it by July, and certainly by August for a trip I'm taking. Ideally, I want the HPI E-F Flux for the speed, durability, tunability and run time. Specifically, it will be used for:
-Light bashing
-Occasion Racing (not expected to win, "just compete")
-Run times important
-I don't want to be giving away any speed if I don't have to.

I don't feel like waiting until late-June to hear that HPI is again delaying the Flux. So my options are to get a regular Firestorm with LiPo or maybe 7-cell batts or a Rustler VXL now vs. waiting for the Flux. Again, I like the HPI's durability and tunability, and from what I hear its a more stable driver. But a lot of people are rocking out with the VXL and most say its faster.

What would you do? I guess I'm just lucky as a consumer that there are great options in the RTR market...
Old 06-12-2008, 12:17 PM
jrc4120

Default RE: E-FireStorm, Flux, Rustler VXL, or what?

I just got the e-firestorm and it is really nice. I should have my sidewinder 5700 coming tomorrow, so essesntially it will be the flux. If you cant wait for the flux just order the regular firestorm now along with the sidewinder system, it will be the same thing. I have had a stampede vxl, and I do like that system as well. Hope that helps.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: rsr427

I am itching to get a truck, and specifically I'd like to have it by July, and certainly by August for a trip I'm taking. Ideally, I want the HPI E-F Flux for the speed, durability, tunability and run time. Specifically, it will be used for:
-Light bashing
-Occasion Racing (not expected to win, "just compete")
-Run times important
-I don't want to be giving away any speed if I don't have to.

I don't feel like waiting until late-June to hear that HPI is again delaying the Flux. So my options are to get a regular Firestorm with LiPo or maybe 7-cell batts or a Rustler VXL now vs. waiting for the Flux. Again, I like the HPI's durability and tunability, and from what I hear its a more stable driver. But a lot of people are rocking out with the VXL and most say its faster.

What would you do? I guess I'm just lucky as a consumer that there are great options in the RTR market...
Get the Flux. If you don't want to wait, buy the regular E-firestorm and add a SW4600 and it will be the same thing. Except it will be able to run on 3s.

The Flux will only be able to run 2s, so the Vxl will be faster on 3s. But that motor I told you about will run 3s, so you're good to go. The Flux isn't out yet, so I don't know what those Rustler guys are telling you.

The E-firestorm looks like a good truck. I would go with that.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Access

E-firestorm, it is a capable racer and you don't want to be stuck trying to race a Rustler. Still durable, more tunable, super-smooth transmission, infinately better handling.

rustler VXL: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...410ADACF813065
E-firestorm (mamba max): http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...685579972D674F
Old 06-13-2008, 07:30 AM
rsr427

I'm not sure I want to get a new truck (the HPI E-F) and then be adding a new ESC and Motor. Its one thing to explain to the wife the expensive box that came in the mail. But if I get the SW then there's two boxes, each with a big price tag - to her. Then I have to hear "if its not good enough out of the box, why did it cost so much...". I got to hear that when I started dressing up my new car...

So does the Rustler take those TRA connectors that I read about?

At this point I'm leaning towards a stock E-F and really good batteries. I can always take the batteries with me to my next truck (or car) or sell them to my brother.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Always Dreamin

The Vxl uses Traxxas' own connectors. Pretty sure Losi uses something different. Your best bet would be to just use deans, they are more universal.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Access

With some creative mathematics, it actually makes more sense to buy them seperately since you can get the tower discount twice.
Just show here this and say 'see I saved some money'. Granted you have to pay shipping twice but it's probably not more than the $12. req'd.

Compare the prices on tower:
E-firestorm $190.
venom LiPo charger $24.
(discount -$25.) total: $189.
+
sidewinder ESC + motor $133.
integy 5000mAH 7.4V LiPo $75
(discount -$25.) total: $183.
=
$372.

vs.
E-firestorm flux $310.
(discount -$25.) $285.

Lipo, charger (above) $24 + $75 = $99.
not enough for a discount
=
$384.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:19 AM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking along the same lines, Tower's discount this month can be used to arrive at total cost that equal or less than the Flux, if the Flux was available today.

It does suck though that The Flux still isn't available yet. We knew about the Flux before Slash, but people are already getting their Slashes. I wonder if any of the delay has to do with production of the ESCs. This year Castle has put out three new ESCs; 1/10 Sidewinder, Micro Pro, and Mamba Monster Max. They all seem to be pretty hight demand items. I've had a pair of Micro Pro systems on backorder myself.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Access

Look at my post about the AUVSI show or go to www.castlespecialprojects.com. They are expanding into other markets beyond just hobby-grade RC. They are selling the same systems (mamba micro pro, etc.) to the UAV or ground-UV industry only with 'industrial' firmware and an 'industrial' castle link. Demand for thier products is going to keep going up.

http://www.castlecreations.com/csp/c...ntrollers.html