Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Mamba max on 4s lipo.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:56 AM
ofna_kyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mamba max on 4s lipo.

I want to run my MM on 4s lipo in my BL revo. What do I need to be able to accomplish this since it is only rated for 3s. Would I need a bec, a fan... etc.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:06 AM
R/C fan-addict

Default RE: Mamba max on 4s lipo.

definitely a BEC, and a really high performance fan. It needs to push a LOT of air. Also you may consider (since you're voiding your warranty anyway by running 4s) to open up the case, take off the heatsink (should be lightly resting on the electronic circuit board or perhaps secured with a few small screws), and replace it with a larger heatsink. You could also use this opportunity to use a different thermal grease. For computer builds (as thermal grease between the CPU heatsink and the processor itself) zalman ZM-STG1 thermal grease is highly recommended. People did tests on it to show what a huge difference it makes in your computer. I think it would be good for use in your MM too. So if you're up for a little project I would suggest doing the following list:

-get a BEC
-cut a lot of holes in your body to allow air to enter (also cut holes in the rear to allow air to exit)
-replace the heatsink with a larger/better designed unit
-use improved thermal grease
-install a powerful fan

also you might want to raise the ESC above some chassis obstructions such as motors in order to get it the best flow of air. This really makes a difference, if my charger is sitting on my shelf it gets really hot, but if I have it on my workbench it's fine. Even if you don't think there is that much air flowing, there really is a fair bit moving around, which only aids in further cooling the ESC. Of course make sure you have a rollbar or something to protect the ESC in the case of a rollover.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:37 AM
happywing

I've been running 4s on my MM's for a while now. I have one in a 1/8 truggy right now and temps rarely surpass 140 degrees...even after 20min mains. I don't think the mods have to be that extensive. All you need to do is take the MM out of the case and drill some air holes in the case and re-assemble. Mount a fan that blows through the holes and over the heatsink...that's it. I ran a 1/8 buggy with the same setup for over a year....no problems. Check the pic:
Old 07-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Run it with the BEC disabled. I reccomend you buy a cap board from me or make one yourself to reduce temps. Run a fan and possibly solder on new deans 12ga wire onto the board.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:37 PM
ofna_kyle

Addict- My esc sits on top of the tranny since I am using the tekno kit.

happywing- Thanks for the info and picture, so if I drill 3 holes through the case, and mount a fan, I will not need a bec?
Old 07-04-2008, 04:18 PM
sloppyG

BEC is not optional for 4S,

on high load 3S setups it can be very helpful in reducing heat, and on 4S it's mandatory
Old 07-04-2008, 04:24 PM
SD2006

You people are insane!!!

...but in a good way
Old 07-04-2008, 04:33 PM
coxbros

ORIGINAL: happywing

I've been running 4s on my MM's for a while now. I have one in a 1/8 truggy right now and temps rarely surpass 140 degrees...even after 20min mains. I don't think the mods have to be that extensive. All you need to do is take the MM out of the case and drill some air holes in the case and re-assemble. Mount a fan that blows through the holes and over the heatsink...that's it. I ran a 1/8 buggy with the same setup for over a year....no problems. Check the pic:
What battery and motor did you run?
Old 07-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Shark413

Here is the setup I am currently (until I get my Monster Max) running on my 1/8 scale buggy. I replaced the stock heatsink with a larger unit, fan mounted vertically to pull air over caps and heatsink. Holes drilled in sides and bottom, internal BEC disabled running external BEC and I have an additional Cap added to the battery leads. I do not recommend trying to remove the stock heatsink, the chances of damaging the FETs is not worth it, the reason I changed my heatsink on this particular Mamba was because it just fell off by itself. I run a stock heat sink Mamba (with fan) on my Kyosho ST-RR truggy and it runs very cool. I am also using mechanical brakes on both my buggy and truggy which further reduces the stress on the ESC/Battery.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Shark413

Here are a couple of shots of my Kyosho ST-RR truggy, using a Mamba max with the stock heatsink (with fan).

Check them out in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnwpWq7kynA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC9rYX8hLPk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4SeWaYax58
Old 07-05-2008, 01:16 AM
ofna_kyle

So would I be able to run it on 4s with fan, and drilling holes? How well will a 3s pull my revo?
Old 07-05-2008, 01:36 AM
Shark413

When pulling a large vehicle like a Revo you must also use a good battery. The Motor/ESC can pull a lot of amps and if your battery is not up to the task it can overheat or cause problems with the motor/esc. I am using 4s 25C 5000mah Neu energy batteries on my buggies and 4s 20C 6000mah Maxamp batteries on my truggy/Revo and have not had any issues. I have an Eagle Tree data logger and my 1/8 scale buggy had spikes of 180amps. The more "C" and mah the better. Both for run time and keeping everything running cool. Before I could get my hands on some good lipo packs I was using some nimh batteries in my E-Revo (two premium 6-cell packs) and they worked ok, but with lipo the Revo was much faster.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:43 AM
ofna_kyle

I am gunna run truerc 4s2p 8000mah pack. Would I need a bec? If so, how do I hook it up? I am using mechanicle brakes with Y connector.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:01 AM
brushlessboy16

I my standard MM on 5s with just a fan blowing on the stock heatsink, runs about 145 after 45mins of bashing
Old 07-05-2008, 08:24 AM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: ofna_kyle

I am gunna run truerc 4s2p 8000mah pack. Would I need a bec? If so, how do I hook it up? I am using mechanicle brakes with Y connector.

YES

you can look at castle's website for a wiring diagram for the BEC, you basically just solder it on to the battery wires near the battery connector
Old 07-05-2008, 01:48 PM
coxbros

ORIGINAL: Shark413

When pulling a large vehicle like a Revo you must also use a good battery. The Motor/ESC can pull a lot of amps and if your battery is not up to the task it can overheat or cause problems with the motor/esc. I am using 4s 25C 5000mah Neu energy batteries on my buggies and 4s 20C 6000mah Maxamp batteries on my truggy/Revo and have not had any issues. I have an Eagle Tree data logger and my 1/8 scale buggy had spikes of 180amps. The more "C" and mah the better. Both for run time and keeping everything running cool. Before I could get my hands on some good lipo packs I was using some nimh batteries in my E-Revo (two premium 6-cell packs) and they worked ok, but with lipo the Revo was much faster.
What KV motor are you running?
Old 07-07-2008, 03:54 PM
ofna_kyle

On CC website, they show the BEC connecting into the ESC battery wires.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:43 PM
happywing

ORIGINAL: coxbros

ORIGINAL: happywing

What battery and motor did you run?
A pair of 2s Thunderpower ProLite 6k and 8k. The motor is a Neu 1512 2d/f
Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 PM
coxbros

I ordered a feigao 7xl intending to run it on 3s in a buggy. I am now going with a 4s 5000mah. Will that motor still be suitable as long as I run a low pinion, say a 10 tooth?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:52 PM
ofna_kyle

That was also a factor in my MM frying. I was running 38/19 gearing. I am now running a 13t pinion. Just trying to figure out the best way of setting up my new MM. 4s 8000 lipo shud be here next week.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:19 AM
mog ruith

guys sorry if this is wrong to post here but i just dont know where to post my question
im running my mamba system with a dx 3 problem is it refuses to move when throttle
but the steering seem to be workin allright anybody can help me here
Old 07-09-2008, 06:51 AM
SD2006

It could be lots of things, the radio, ESC, and LV cutoff (if you have one) need to be set up. Is this the first time you've tried to run this combination? Have you read the setup instructions for everything?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:03 AM
mog ruith

finally i solve the problem actually saw the speedo red light is always lighted when instead the yellow should light when its on neutral
so what i did is set the throttle trim to +50 anyway is 50 the default setting?
Old 07-09-2008, 01:40 PM
SD2006

It sounds like you haven't calibrated the speed controller to properly interpret your radio's throttle signal. I'd set the throttle trim back to 0 and run through the speed controller's setup procedure.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:38 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

My MM runs 4S (generic batteries) with no mods. It is a light vehicle with a standard servo and a lower power motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.