Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Recommend me a Truck, as I am new to trucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Hivoltage
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me a Truck, as I am new to trucks

I want to get an electric truck with a pretty high clearance, so I guess not a staduim truck, preferably brushless, or at least one I can use Lipoly batteries on. I will be running it in the grass yard, and on a dirt path. I am willing to spend 350 bucks. I like the Traxxas E-Maxx, but can I use a Lipoly battery on it? I hate Nicads!!!! Give me some options for a truck, in the meantime I will be reading here.....lots of stuff to read. Thanks
Old 07-04-2008, 11:19 AM
muti369

Default RE: Recommend me a Truck, as I am new to trucks

for 350 bl and lipo eather the e-firestorm flux or a traxxas vxl rustler bandet or stamped
Old 07-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

One of my buddies was looking at the Rustler VXL Brushless. He ended up going with the brushed one 'cause it was cheaper, but the brushed one works great and has a lot of clearance, so I can only imagine the VXL Brushless would be even better. Plus the build quality on the RTR BL is better than the brushed version.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Hivoltage

Great, I will check those out........more suggestions are welcome.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:59 AM
clamber

The Losi desert truck has a lot of clearance and great handling. And despite the name you dont have to live in the desert to enjoy it.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:17 PM
muti369

a fast setup is an rc10t4 (dont listen to people saying you cant bash it) lrp tc esc ,lrp 3.0 bl motor ,trinity ep 4600 batts and 30 series bow ties people will say lipo is faster and in most cases it is but in this setup ep 4600's were the fastes
Old 07-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Hivoltage

I dont really need fast....30 MPH is plenty fast for me, most of my stuff will be in grass and dirt.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Chris_RC

If you dont need fast then I would reccomend the Losi Desert Truck.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Hivoltage

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Over the Brushless Stampede?
Old 07-04-2008, 02:12 PM
muti369

i have had great succes with one of my t4,s in grass just use 30 series badlands from proline an lrp 6.5 or 5.5 on lipo and gear low as to not over heat things and get rpm 2 stage pistons red springs in the rear axel moved back all the way and that thing is awsome in grass o and it will switch from nimh to lipo on its own when you plug in the pack if you use an lrp sphere esc i would go with the tc version so when you feel the need for speed you can drop in a 3.0turn motor but only when your ready for now use a 5.5 or 6.5
Old 07-04-2008, 02:25 PM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

I say go for the vxl stampede, then spend the rest of the money on rpm upgrades. I dont know about lipoly but lipo work?
Old 07-04-2008, 02:33 PM
clamber

ORIGINAL: Hivoltage

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Over the Brushless Stampede?
Dont get me wrong, monster trucks are fun. But they arent that fun. I would also suggest the Desert Truck because you cna adjust the ride height and make it really high, but it will still have the characteristics of a ST. And stock its around 30mph and I have a Team Orion SV2 Pro BB I used in my DT for sale and it made it for sure go 30mph.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Hivoltage

OK...How fast do Monster Trucks Go.....like the Stampede for instance. What is not fun about them?
Old 07-04-2008, 03:10 PM
clamber

There isnt anything not fun about them, they just arent as fun as stadium trucks IMO.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:18 PM
tjscrogins99

I got two words for you. TRAXXAS SLASH. (http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...5/trx_5805.htm) Actually a couple more words. I got the slash and i run it with a sidewinder 4600 brushless combo and a 6000mah 2c lipo and its absolutly perfect. Good clearance, looks good, just a blast to drive.

Plus there are several groups around ohio racing them.

I know of a few people in columbus who have them and we are planning to get together at a local bmx track to do some bashing and racing.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Hivoltage

The Slash looks nice. I am considering that Brushless is not a necessity right now. Motors and batteries have improved since my last electric truck 10 years ago, maybe even the nicads. Back then I had a timer charger where you wind up the minutes, now I have a Bantam charger so that may make a difference. Not even sure what kind of truck I am wanting so I may clarify. The one I had years ago would barely go in the grass....it would get bogged down too easy and we cut our grass short. I need something for offroad, but it wont be too rough. So Driveway, grass, and some dirt offroad. Maybe I dont want t monster truck. I am not ordering anything until Monday so I do some research and let you experts sway me one way or another.

I really appreciate all the help!!!!! I just dont want to throw away 350 bucks and not be happy with what I get.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:50 PM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

the stampede is the way to go especially with brushless , go on youtube and type in pede, gt2, blade cx2 trampoline bash i think its like c6corvettekid or something. I tink that will make up your mind.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:16 PM
sloppyG

monster trucks are fine, and if the terrain is rougher where you live you'll be able to drive them places where an ST would get stuck

the ST's are better on smoother stuff, or asphalt, but when it gets rough a ST is almost useless
Old 07-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Caaine

I´ve went off and got a E-Firestorm and I absolutely love it. It´s fun on the street, gravel and even grass. Very stable and according to your wishes, it´s fast enough. Make sure you get a good battery though, went from HPI´s 1500Mah battery to a 3600Mah (aerobatt) and it´s like black and white, VERY noticable.

Rgds,
Old 07-04-2008, 07:02 PM
IloveMYxt2

I vote for the E-firestorm and the Traxxas Slash. The Slash looks awesome and looks like it can take a beating and HPI is good for bashing as well. But I dont think the firestorm will handle grass very well. It doesnt have much clearance and it smaller than the Slash. Soooooo, I say get a Slash and post videos of it asap!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:59 PM
calvino

IMO get the e-firestorm, it is STRONG AS HECK, is brushless and should get you kindof fast, i have to say that just because a car has "high ground clearance" doesn't mean its going to be a blast, they are more prone to flipping over.... just me, but a lower truck is nice, heck, larger tires can help a bunch[8D]
Old 07-05-2008, 12:04 AM
NjBasher

stadium trucks are for the racing scene. i would say get a stampede vxl
Old 07-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: muti369

a fast setup is an rc10t4 (dont listen to people saying you cant bash it) lrp tc esc ,lrp 3.0 bl motor ,trinity ep 4600 batts and 30 series bow ties people will say lipo is faster and in most cases it is but in this setup ep 4600's were the fastes
I'm the first to say that any RC10T is good for bashing, but he has a price ideal and wants it to run in long grass(by long I mean over two inches). If he was going on street, dirt, or racing, and if he wanted to spend $450 or more I'd say T4, but in long grass most stadium trucks don't do well. Some of the more basher oriented trucks do well in longer grass, but any race oriented, although it may also be a great basher, don't do well in grass. My buddy has a Rustler RTR and my other buddy and I have original RC10T's and he kills us in grass longer than an inch or so, but when we get on my track we f@#ckin' kill him!!!!!!!! It depends on what you are going to drive on an how much money you have. Honestly, if you're just looking to have a lot of fun and pretty good performance; buy a Lunchbox, get some hop ups, and go crazy. That is one of the best all around, I just want to drive like a maniac, RC's you'll get, with a couple hop ups that is.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:09 AM
mechakyle

Look into the Rustler or Stampede VXL. I have a rustler Xl-5 (brushed one) and it goes 30 easaly. I run a 9.6v 3000 MAH venom Nicd (yea yea lipo w/e). The clearnce is great and i bash ALOT. Hell even the bandit isnt all that bad. We jumped my friends brushed bandit 15 feet and it landed and bottomed out and no problems scince the frame took all the abuse.

Now becasue your looking to use Lipo (lipoly) the only real issue to stop you from using it on any truck is what the ESC can handle. I think on the rustler XL-5 it can handle 9.6v max (which im running on) and the motor is getting pused to its limits because the brushed motors have lower tolernces. BUT with a brushless system like on teh VXL stampede, rustler, bandet the ESC and motor can handel alot higher ratings. and the only speed limiting factor on these is the voltage your using. another advantage of brushless is that your battery life can last longer depending on how you drive adn motor need less matinence.

SO with wanting to use LiPo go with the ruster VXL or Stampede. DOnt listen to people who say the stampede is a mosnter truck adnw ill go slower becasue it shares alot of similarities with teh rustler. The only major differnce is teh frame is differnt and it has longer Arms so it gets better clearnce. The body is also mounted higher resulting in a higher center of gravitybut its not to bad.

Final reccomendation is the Rustler or Stampede VXL. Dont get a brushed motor truck if you want to run LiPo becasue it will defeat the purpose of using LiPo. Get a good LiPo battery and some new gearing on your Rustler or Stampede and your truck will rocket to 40-50 Mph. ( to lazy to read teh box but thats a close if not a low estamite.)

P.S. the traxxas Customer service is great. if something fails like ESC or Motor they can help. The Stampede customizing scene is pretty big too.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:47 AM
cdub123cw

yes like mechakyle said get the stamped vxl its high clearence too. you can put a lipo uin it too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.