Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Recommend me a Truck, as I am new to trucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:00 AM
raymanh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recommend me a Truck, as I am new to trucks

slash
Old 07-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Hivoltage
My Feedback: (3)

How about the E-Savage? Any cons to it?
Old 07-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Sofwhitewolf
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: evaderkid

I say go for the vxl stampede, then spend the rest of the money on rpm upgrades. I dont know about lipoly but lipo work?

I dont know about brushless, but my pede has had some hard hits and still kept going, i have TRYED to brake this thing, doing things like driving off a roof, going full speed on bike jumps and so-on , and i have yet to brake anything, the only thing that has even remotely broke, was the shock caps coming off, but those are not technically broke. So a Stampede and brushless should be NICE!
Old 07-05-2008, 01:50 PM
paul_TAB4

IMO stampede vxl xl-5 witch ever. best cheap basher. lots o' fun! (does roll at speeds though)
Old 07-05-2008, 02:03 PM
paul_TAB4

however I also bash an rc10T and a b4. both are a blast. If you buy an MT invest in a wheelie bar.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:11 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i got an evader st pro (don't make no more) that's lots of fun but for 350 i'ld get an hpi e firestom (179 or 189 stormerhobbies.com) a mrc superbrain 977 charger (100 tower) and some dectent batts and if you wan't to go over the sidewinder system thats now 144 from tower but it may be cheeper at stormer, and that'll total out at about 350 give or take and go deans and don't forget the charger can do 2 batts

the reason i didn't say just get the flux is the sidewinder you can get the 4600 and have the ability to go to 3s lipo off the bat, and castle link even though the flux is the sidewinder 5700 without castle link

rclugnut10
Old 07-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Lilredmachine

ORIGINAL: Hivoltage

How about the E-Savage? Any cons to it?
E-savage is strong stock. You don't need no RPM/FLM etc. parts like with the Traxxas gear. Rather ironically the one weak point it does have (the sliding driveshafts snapping) can be solved by fitting Traxxas units instead.

It's a quick, tough truck but some are put off by it's small size and lack of aftermarket, though that didn't stop me building this thing out of an original E-Zilla:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91631.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	984538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68881.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	984539  
Old 07-05-2008, 05:33 PM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

if you have the charger and everything the traxxas e-maxx is 350 and awsome!! Runs great on grass and extremely durable!
Old 07-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Jailbird1818
My Feedback: (5)

I have to throw in another vote for the Pede (VXL or not). They are quite tough, simple, cheap to fix and if you do break something you can get parts at any hobby shop.

-JB
Old 07-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Hivoltage

Hmmmmm.....it is down to the E-Savage or the Stampede. Maybe I will sleep on it and wake up tomorrow with a decision!!!!!
Old 07-05-2008, 10:59 PM
aftermarket

I recommend the stampede vxl (brushless). It has great clearance and you can use up to 3s lipos w/ it. It also has a reputation of being tough and durable. The all steel tranny also adds to the *toughness*. Good luck!

p.s. a good 6 cell will get it to about 30 mph, a 7 cell will do 40 or so...while the 2s lipo will do 30-40 and the 3s will definately do 60+ (65 w/ the correct gearing!)
Old 07-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Tripower455

I am an airplane guy, but recently bought a couple of RTR trucks for my son and I.

My son got a Stampede VXL, and I got a Rustler VXL. We have 5 acres of mostly flat terrain with about an acre of grass. The Rustler is a little faster, and handles a little better (especially on the hard stuff) but there's not a huge difference. The Stampede definitely goes over more things than the Rustler. I often get high centered on sticks and such that my son goes right over.

They are both haul butt and are a blast to drive around. They both go great in the grass too. You really can't go wrong with either.

Be prepared to buy some parts. I broke several camber blocks (and the associated pins) due to driver error, and my son broke a clutch. If you get one of these, get the RPM front camber blocks, bigger bearings and the upgraded kingpins when you buy it. You'll thank me later! The good news is that the parts are available everywhere and they aren't too expensive.

We're running on 6 and 7 cell NiMh. Personally, I wouldn't bother with Lipo on these things, at least for bashing around. I use them in my airplanes where the low weight/high output is necessary, but on a car, unless you are racing it and top speed/handling are paramount, I wouldn't bother. The cost and fire hazard are pretty significant.

You can get 2 good NiMh batteries for the price of one equivalent Lipo..... Decent chargers are also cheap for the NiMh and not so much for the Lipo. The NiMhs never need to be balanced. Just my $.02 on this......
Old 07-05-2008, 11:34 PM
rhowe

do you want 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive? i have a stampede (2wd)and the clearence and the adjustability of the suspension on that thing is amazing. itll clear stuff my 4wd car won't. its tough and as fast as you want to spend. parts availibility is great. and there are tons of hop ups for it which is a huge plus. spend the cash and get a vxl pede.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:09 AM
paul_TAB4

ORIGINAL: Hivoltage

Hmmmmm.....it is down to the E-Savage or the Stampede. Maybe I will sleep on it and wake up tomorrow with a decision!!!!!

E-savage is a little more truck for your buck.....that being said, bashing=busting. it will be easier to get parts for the pede.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Lilredmachine

If it's down to the E-savage or Stampede then E-savage, hands down. The stampede may as well be a brick with a brushless system taped to it compared to other trucks these days, I have no problem with Traxxas but the Stampede is a 14 year old design and if people keep buying it it's going to send out the message to Traxxas that it's ok to peddle the same age old designs with some shiny bits added. It's frustrating because Traxxas can produce some brilliant things when it feels like doing a bit of innovating, such as the Revo and original T-maxx.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Hivoltage

Well, I ended up buying an E-Savage and 2- 5000 mah NiMi Viper battery packs to go with it from RC Planet. I hope those are good packs to go with it.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:14 PM
powerslider

I think you'll like the E Savage, I've run the heck out of mine with no broken parts yet. I did change out the rear driveshafts to Emaxx parts. I installed 4 blue Savage shock springs to firm up the suspension a bit and a brushless system and it's just a blast to run....
Old 07-06-2008, 09:14 PM
clamber

Who makes the batts?
Old 07-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Hivoltage

Viper???
Old 07-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Access

Unless the grass is well cut regularly (under 1') STs will not handle it very well. An E-maxx or something like that will do the job. Or a 'pede VXL if you want to go fast. The E-maxx ESC does not have a lipo cutoff built-in but the VXL does.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:12 PM
powerslider

ORIGINAL: Access

Unless the grass is well cut regularly (under 1') STs will not handle it very well. An E-maxx or something like that will do the job. Or a 'pede VXL if you want to go fast. The E-maxx ESC does not have a lipo cutoff built-in but the VXL does.
Somewhat true but that doesn't mean you won't have fun with it, I have a brushless Losi DT and it's an absolute riot in the grass powersliding all over at speed. It takes good throttle and steering control but that's the fun of it improving your driving skill on less than optimum surfaces. It's like watching the CORR trucks finesse their way around the track...
Old 07-25-2008, 02:50 AM
quickpede

yea the stampede is the way to go, it's fast and fun, moab tires are great for it, change the motor if you plan on running it in the grass a lot, the motor will be faster, check the speed gems