Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Parts ordered - now what? :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Caaine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts ordered - now what? :)

Thanks to the wealth of information on this site from you guys, I went ahead and ordered some upgrades to my (my son´s really e-Firestorm. These are the things I got:

SideWinder 5700kv ESC combo (and CastleLink)
A123 2S 6.6V 4600mah and charger

Reasons I got the above hardware is I just simply don´t want to watch a battery charge inside a fireproof bag or sauce pan (it´s like watching paint dry). So the safety of the A123´s was a big plus, more than price or anything else.

Since I was limited to the A123 - the best option from them is the 4600Mah 6.6V which is only 2S since the 3S is only 2300mah. So I went with higher kv rating and 2S. Hope that was the right choice.

So, how do I configure the Low Voltage Cut off for the A123 batteries? At what voltage, that is?
Do I need any more purchases to change the spur/pinion?
I assume I need some Dean connectors, where do you purchase those at a good price? How many would I need for the above configuration?

I am still very new to this so all expertise and assistance is very welcome

Rgds,
Caaine
Old 07-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Revotrx3
Banned

Default RE: Parts ordered - now what? :)

umm, deans, some people get the ebay ones for 10 for 3 bucks, but i rather spend the extra money and get the real deans. as far a store, lhs might have them, or towerhobbies.com
Old 07-12-2008, 04:21 PM
brushlessboy16

wow travis, good on ya', you've learned well jp
Old 07-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Caaine

Thanks for the replies,

The Real Deans? How do I know which are "real" and those who aren´t? Also, the store LHS you mention, could you give me the url?

Rgds,
Old 07-12-2008, 09:12 PM
rawfuls
My Feedback: (1)

LHS = Local Hobby Shop, if I'm right.

www.towerhobbies.com

I personally don't use Deans, YET...

I have yet to switch to them.
I've been using Tamiya's forever, and am LOVING them... When I start getting into the bigger, more amperage packs, those are on the list.. Or the SERMOS/Anderson Powerpoles connectors... Maybe even the Traxxas Connectors.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:24 PM
speed959

lmao that made me laugh... "Also, the store LHS you mention, could you give me the url?", no offence though and yes it is local hobby shop. like the closest hobby shop near you.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:30 PM
rawfuls
My Feedback: (1)

lmao..

Hey, we're all noobs at one point!

I even saw LHS, on RCGroups, and I rembered it while I was at the hobby shop, and I asked the owner: "Hey, what's the LHS?" He thought I was joking... But I had a serious face.. And he stopped laughing and was like "Yeah um.. you're in the LHS." I'm like "What the?" "And his employees were laughing, they yelled out, "HOBBY SHOP!" I'm like, okay... That's fine, but what does the L stand for!? They're like. LOCAL I'm like OMG I SEEE
Old 07-13-2008, 05:06 AM
Caaine

Ohhh well /blush

Don´t have all the RC acronyms down yet. Thanks for clearing that up though, hehe. But I am still hoping for answers to these following questions:

1. How do I configure the Low Voltage Cut off for the A123 batteries? At what voltage, that is? Batteries run at 6.6V
2. Do I need any more purchases to change the spur/pinion?
3. Any other changes before I take it out for a spin after going brushless with the SW?

Rgds,