Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Want my Slash to beat a buddies Savage X

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Hordsak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want my Slash to beat a buddies Savage X

I'm a nitro guy at heart, but I couldn't resist buying a traxxas slash. Now the speed bug has hit me, and I want to go brushless. At this point, all I want to do is beat my buddies Savage X. I'm sure his Savage can hit 40+ mph, so I want my slash to beat this. Would the Velineon from Traxxas and a 7 cell acomplish this? I know a 3s lipo will do the trick, but I won't be going lipo quite yet, and I have alot of Nimh batteries laying around. Or, would I be better off with a Mamba max and a 4600 or 5700? Is the 5700 a little to much for the Slash. I don't want any overheating. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:39 PM
aftermarket
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Want my Slash to beat a buddies Savage X

The slash is plenty prepared for brushless with its all metal tranny. If you're on a budget, get a sidewinder 5700, using a good 7 cell, you can get atleast 45...

But if you're willing to pay, get the mamba max 7700. It's the highest kv rating and I've seen it hit 50 with just a 6 cell!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:43 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Mamba Maxx 5700............ The Mamba Max is more programmable then the VXL..............
Old 07-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Go with the Mamba Maxx 5700............ The Mamba Max is more programmable then the VXL..............
I say get the MM ESC and the velineon 3500 and run it on 3s. It'll be a perfect setup and a powerhouse.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: Takedown

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

I say get the MM ESC and the velineon 3500 and run it on 3s. It'll be a perfect setup and a powerhouse.
It worked for me... [8D]
Old 07-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Hordsak

I've heard the 7700 will be too much, and it will get too hot.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: Hordsak

All you need is a 5700 on 2s or 3s and you'll beat him.. Plus torque will be amazing.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Hordsak

What kind of gearing would be safe? Could I use the 23t pinion with that setup, or should I run the smaller pinion?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Hordsak

I just found a new Velineon with 3350 motor on ebay for 120 bucks. I couldn't pass that up. Can I run a different motor with the VXL esc, if I wanted to in the future?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:08 AM
RC_Basher20
My Feedback: (4)

sell it get slayer
Old 07-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Takedown

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: Hordsak

All you need is a 5700 on 2s or 3s and you'll beat him.. Plus torque will be amazing.
The CM36S series motors are terrible IMO. They get hot very fast because of less winds in the can and tend have alot less torque than other 540 brushless cans.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:40 AM
DriftingDragon

mm and neu 1515
Old 07-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Takedown

ORIGINAL: DriftingDragon

mm and neu 1515
Something hes able to control.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:30 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the vxl system will be plenty of power for you. the sidewinder and mamba systems have extra nice features, but IMO fancy features can also mean more to go wrong. i have a NEW sidewinder esc sitting right now, cause i cant get my computer to use the castle link. and the millions of programable features on the esc make it really hard to program via your transmitter. the vxl esc on the other had, one button and only the features you will require. its plenty capable of beating a savage on 7cell, tho i would suggest a 2s 20C lipo. youll get better punch, and longer runtimes. not to mention, the less wieght of a lipo.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Always Dreamin

Look, it's not that hard...

You need a brushless system
Right gearing
Lipo..

The Savage is as good as gone..
Old 07-17-2008, 12:53 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

the vxl system will be plenty of power for you. the sidewinder and mamba systems have extra nice features, but IMO fancy features can also mean more to go wrong. i have a NEW sidewinder esc sitting right now, cause i cant get my computer to use the castle link. and the millions of programable features on the esc make it really hard to program via your transmitter. the vxl esc on the other had, one button and only the features you will require. its plenty capable of beating a savage on 7cell, tho i would suggest a 2s 20C lipo. youll get better punch, and longer runtimes. not to mention, the less wieght of a lipo.
What problems are you having with the Castle Link?
Old 07-17-2008, 02:02 PM
ozium

I'm running a MM/Velineon combo in my Desert Truck and on a 3 cell lipo it'll top out at around 40mph (I haven't radared it yet I'm just estimating). I have a Castle 4600kv that I'm going to use to replace the Velineon - it should be faster since the Velineon is a 3500kv motor.

I also have a MM/Castle 5700 combo in my Stampede and it tops out at well over 50 mph (again just an estimate, but it's way faster than my DT). I actually haven't been able to do a full throttle run with it yet because the front end keeps lifting. I gotta put some weights on the front end.

According to the Castle tech I talked to: If you are only planning on running 2S lipo or less, a Sidewinder is enough. But if you want to run 3S the Mamba Max is better.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: ozium

I'm running a MM/Velineon combo in my Desert Truck and on a 3 cell lipo it'll top out at around 40mph (I haven't radared it yet I'm just estimating). I have a Castle 4600kv that I'm going to use to replace the Velineon - it should be faster since the Velineon is a 3500kv motor.

I also have a MM/Castle 5700 combo in my Stampede and it tops out at well over 50 mph (again just an estimate, but it's way faster than my DT). I actually haven't been able to do a full throttle run with it yet because the front end keeps lifting. I gotta put some weights on the front end.

According to the Castle tech I talked to: If you are only planning on running 2S lipo or less, a Sidewinder is enough. But if you want to run 3S the Mamba Max is better.
Gear up that combo... It's a lower Kv, and as Takedown said, the Velineon motor is better then the CM36..
Old 07-17-2008, 02:18 PM
ozium

I've tried gearing it up but it gets too hot. I don't remember exactly what gears I'm running now but I've geared down considerably from stock. I think it's 16/90, something like that. I did a lot of experimenting with the spur/pinion and even with the low gearing I have now it still gets too hot on 3S.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:35 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my castle link program is installed, says it reads that the esc is plugged in(both boxes show green)....but when i try to do anything it gives this message "no controller or invalide controller connected" i have a thunderbird esc on the way...if that one works with the link, then the sidewinder is the problem. if not, then its the link thats faulty.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: ozium

I've tried gearing it up but it gets too hot. I don't remember exactly what gears I'm running now but I've geared down considerably from stock. I think it's 16/90, something like that. I did a lot of experimenting with the spur/pinion and even with the low gearing I have now it still gets too hot on 3S.
Something doesn't sound right.. You should be haulin but right now. How hot is it where you run?