Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Best Starter Elec RC Truck for the $ ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:40 PM
Mekong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Starter Elec RC Truck for the $ ?

LOL are you serious with the baja king or black foot or hunter? Those are really janky. Really crap compared to modern trucks. I dont get why people recommend some of the tamiya classics, other than they have a blind nostalgia for them.

Some of the 4wd buggies from tamiya looks like they might be worth looking in to.

Really for a 1st truck go with a firestorm or rustler/pede/traxxas 2wd. They are great trucks, extremely durable, tons of after market support and very upgradeable.

If you can get a brushless, you really dont need lipo, I dont get how that myth is being perpetuated on forums...

Depending on how much you want to spend I would at minimum get a brushed firestorm or rustler. Get a really good charger, something that can handle lipo, but just get two decent Nimh packs, 35-50$ per batt. That would be the best bang for the buck. You then can upgrade to what ever brushless system you want, and have a easy time moving on to lipo.

My MM5700 really rips with just a standard GP3300 7.2v pack, and is tons of fun with my 9.6v 4500mah packs. Sure I want lipo but I just dont have the $ to spend damn near 100$ for a decent lipo pack. I would rather have two decent Nimh so I can bash for a long time rather than just one lipo.

The desert truck might be cool too, I haven't seen it in person yet...
Old 07-26-2008, 05:56 AM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Mekong

LOL are you serious with the baja king or black foot or hunter? Those are really janky. Really crap compared to modern trucks. I dont get why people recommend some of the tamiya classics, other than they have a blind nostalgia for them.
That's your opinion you jerk! No, they're not super high performers, but just as fun to drive (to those of us who aren't obsessed speed junkies).
Old 07-27-2008, 02:00 PM
86waterpumper

What is so ultra modern about any of the newer trucks compared to say a super blackfoot? Now if you are trying to compare a brushless rtr truck with a original blackfoot or 1980's tamiya or something than yes, but I don't see much diff in the early 90's and recent tamiyas and the new regular brushed stuff other than possibly a slipper clutch. Tamiya's have such tough trannys on most of their cars you don't even need a slipper. My bone stock super blackfoot is taking the abuse of a 12x2 reedy kr and a 8 cell batt. just fine. You can say esc or silver can motor is worse, but who runs the crappy traxxas stingers or hpi saturn motors very long either, most upgrade that right away...
Old 09-18-2009, 05:44 PM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would say get a good tamiya df-02.

Thats my first chassis and is a realy goood starter car,

Also if u want to get a bit more speed then u can just upgrade from silver can and there are so many aftermarket parts that it would probably destroy any traxxas when modded

Most traxxas cars come with upgraded driveshafts adn shocks stock, thats y they are more $$$$$
Old 09-18-2009, 07:22 PM
airmayle

If you want brushless I would look at HPI Firestorm as a starter. Keep in mind if you want to go 35mph to 45mph you need a tranny that can handle that speed and also a slipper clutch. So you can look at vehicles that are not brushless but if you want to go brushless down the road make sure it is brushless ready. Make sure charger is lipo ready too so you don't have to upgrade that later.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:09 AM
trx1
My Feedback: (2)

my choice would be:
evader ext
e-maxx(gen2)
e-pede
high roller
Old 09-19-2009, 05:59 AM
Sh1mmy

ORIGINAL: chevroletman17

i have a desert truck and i love it ( not made for seven cell) that is my only complaint. I blew the motor with the seven cell. but other than that an awesome truck. and not only that its got optional parts up the ass, and hauls tots with a brushless system.
Well it does say in the book not to use any more than 6 cells.
What optional parts are you on about? XXX-T parts?

Those complaining about the tamiyas and getting something more modern need to remember that the rustler is over 15 years old.

I would recommend the HPI E-FS and get the Velinon 3500 motor with a 60A hobbywing ESC or mamba max or something along those lines. The VXL ESC is apparently not that great.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Dan H

Errr... $200 USD for a good quality lipo and charger
Old 09-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Lurp06x

ok before we start a war here. whats the guys price range an what is he looking for in the truck.

speed?

durability?

design?

brand name?

you got to tell us what your looking for otherwise peolpe are going to shout out what they think is a good rc. (like they already have)

if this is your first rc then start with with a HPI or Traxxas or losi because if anything if you live in a town with a hobby shop then they will carry parts for those brands an it wont kill the hobby for you waiting for parts.

losi i've never owned before. but for the 1/10 rtr there lovers an haters. but with HPI an Traxxas most everyone can agree that they are both good rtr for starters (well there will always be some dink who thinks that HPI is better than traxxas who cares right now this isnt the time to argue we are here to help this guy get some info from are exp).

i got a rustler xl5 as my first an it did its job (did what i said too, right into a couple of polls) but anyway do some research an look at the different types an the things they come with. just remember your going to need to spend an extra hundred to get a battery an a charger. if you got money to throw around go with what ever these guys say lipo brushless whatever, just remember the faster you go the harder you crash.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:29 PM
e123

Check out hobby city if you want to pick up brushless/lipos/chargers for cheap. You will save a bunch of $$ versus buying namebrand stuff and they get really good reviews too.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: SmattaHead

I still don't know which one is the best for your buck?????[sm=71_71.gif]
It's different for each person which is why you're getting so many answers. You need to strictly define what you want in your vehicle.

So you say RTR, lipo and brushless all in the first post but then mention the Losi DT, which is a fine truck but only meets one of your own criteria...

List the following:

Budget
Size: 1/16, 1/10 or 1/8
2WD or 4WD
Buggy or Truck or SC or MT
Brushless RTR or add it later
BUDGET!!

IMO the best bang for the buck brushless is the Savage Flux, Traxxas E-Revo Brushless edition for RTR and the RC8Te and 8ight e 2.0 for kits.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:41 PM
rufus2000

you already have your mind on the losi desert truck. Get it, its a great truck, based on the xxx-t race platform. the metal transmission is ready for brushless and maintenance free.
You just need a lipo cutoff device (about $34) to run the lipo on the brushed motor and ESC
or, upgrade to a brushless system (your choice).

So, have you decided yet?