Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

ROAR Approved LiPos -best bang for buck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:49 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ROAR Approved LiPos -best bang for buck?

Our local track is pretty easygoing as far as equipment allowed, but the one thing is that any lipos used must be hard-cased and ROAR approved. My GP3300 packs are coming to the end of their useful life, and I'd like to replace them with lipos. The approval list for lipo packs can be found [link=http://roarracing.com/approvals/lipobattery.php]HERE.[/link] So far, the Reedy 5000 and Trakpower 5400 jump out at me as reasonably priced and from reputable companies, though I don't exactly know whose cells they are using......anyone have thoughts on these or the other ROAR approved packs?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Chris_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ROAR Approved LiPos -best bang for buck?

The Trakpower 4900 is like 6400 nimh capacity so it will pretty much run forever. I would get a Orion 3800 race spec which has 30C compared to the 25C of the Trakpower one and it is like 5000 nimh capcity. I would get the Orion one though.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:53 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

A 4900 mAh battery rated at 25C continuous (discharges up to 122.5 Amps continuous) should be a little more powerful than a 3800 mAh at 30C continuous (discharges up to 114 Amps continuous).

The Trakpower 5400 is only 16C continuous (86.4 amp continuous).

I think 100 Amp capability is a good threshold...That equals the current handling specs of a Mamba Max ESC.

I was looking at getting the Trackpower 4900 myself but got the Reedy 5000 20C Pro instead as it was $25 cheaper, used a more common balance tap, and the way the power and balance leads leave the battery could allow for more flexibility in terms of battery mounting options for different R/C's.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

My vote goes to the PolyQuest 5100mah 2s 25-50c lipo for $120. It has proven Enerland cells.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:56 PM
BuzzBomber

ORIGINAL: Takedown

My vote goes to the PolyQuest 5100mah 2s 25-50c lipo for $120. It has proven Enerland cells.
Problem is, I don't see them on the approvals list. I've had good luck with polyquest, kokams, tanics, and apogee packs in my planes and helis, but none of them seem to be marketing a ROAR legal pack as of yet.

On another note, my experience has led me to conclude that a higher capacity with a lower "C" rating resulting in the same wattage capability works out better than lower capacity with higher "C" rate. "C" ratings seem to be a bit optimistic, and the packs I've owned with were rated at 20+ C for plane usage lived short lives when used anywhere near their advertised limits. One of the longest lasting Lipos I've owned so far were Etec 1200 5C packs, circa 2003, they were good for a whopping 6 amps, but they hauled a few small planes around for something like 200 cycles used at the limit, and this is before balance charging and lipo voltage cutoffs even became an option. I'm far from the only one noticing this trend either. Don't know exactly how it will apply in cars since the load profile is a bit different...

Anybody have info on what cells the Reedys are using?
Old 08-06-2008, 02:51 AM
1maxdude

ORIGINAL: BuzzBomber

Problem is, I don't see them on the approvals list. I've had good luck with polyquest, kokams, tanics, and apogee packs in my planes and helis, but none of them seem to be marketing a ROAR legal pack as of yet.

On another note, my experience has led me to conclude that a higher capacity with a lower "C" rating resulting in the same wattage capability works out better than lower capacity with higher "C" rate. "C" ratings seem to be a bit optimistic, and the packs I've owned with were rated at 20+ C for plane usage lived short lives when used anywhere near their advertised limits. One of the longest lasting Lipos I've owned so far were Etec 1200 5C packs, circa 2003, they were good for a whopping 6 amps, but they hauled a few small planes around for something like 200 cycles used at the limit, and this is before balance charging and lipo voltage cutoffs even became an option. I'm far from the only one noticing this trend either. Don't know exactly how it will apply in cars since the load profile is a bit different...

X2!

Why do people look for such a high C rating for racing? It's not like you'll need anywhere near that. I figure a 5000ish mah battery with 20C is more than enough to race with unless your like running a hot mod brushless class. If you did a side by side comparison of either of the above mentioned batteries and say a 10c 8000, weight difference aside, I doubt there would be any noticeable difference in power on like a 13.5 or 17.5. Hell maybe even 8.5.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:31 AM
fullauto4u

The Reedy Lipo packs are ROAR approved and are priced decent. A few guys at my track run them and I have'nt heard any complaints.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:41 AM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: 1maxdude

ORIGINAL: BuzzBomber

X2!

Why do people look for such a high C rating for racing? It's not like you'll need anywhere near that. I figure a 5000ish mah battery with 20C is more than enough to race with unless your like running a hot mod brushless class. If you did a side by side comparison of either of the above mentioned batteries and say a 10c 8000, weight difference aside, I doubt there would be any noticeable difference in power on like a 13.5 or 17.5. Hell maybe even 8.5.
Lets say your mains at your lhs are 5-10mins each. You get down with one main and you dont have to recharge. Thats why its a big bonus because you can use it again in the next race...
Old 08-06-2008, 08:51 AM
BuzzBomber

^That's part of the reason I'm looking to lipos. I have a balancer and two lipo chargers, so charging at the track is not a problem, but it would be nice to not HAVE to between races.

This is where that hypothetical 10C 8000mah pack would look really nice, or at least a 5000mah 15-20C pack. I guess I'm more concerned with getting a good performance and lifespan(durability) rather than bleeding edge current delivery.

If it matters, I'm not likely to be using this for anything more current-hungry than say a novak ss8.5 system or sidewinder w/ 4600kv motor in a 1/10th 4WD buggy. I won't be using super high kv systems, and it will probably be geared for a short track.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:05 AM
drdsanders

I'm running a SMC 28c 5000 mah lipo in my T4 and I love it. With a Novak 7.5L brushless motor I'm getting between 27 and 28 min of constant run time on the track. My goal is to be able to run a 30min race without changing batteries so I'm going to try different gearing combos (currently 17/84) to get a few more minutes out of it. $129 from stormer hobbies is best price I've seen thus far. The SMC 5000 is both ROAR and RCProSeries approved.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:15 PM
fullauto4u

Click here; [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTXG4&P=0]Reedy 5000mah Lipo[/link]

Not a bad price, especially if you have a coupon code of some sort to use on their website. Code 011YK is $10 off.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:36 PM
cheech4

anyone know what cells are these reedy 5000 LIPO... im very interested in knowing.