Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Is schottky neceseray?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 02:40 PM
ZIZI
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is schottky neceseray?

I recently got an esc and in the manula its says a schottky is recommended...esc is a 410-HPc...waht i wanna know is it neccesary? will it work without one? i know its good for breaking and stuff...but i dont have any at home and would have to order...

Thanks
ZIZI
Old 05-19-2003, 01:15 AM
Marines

Its not necessary, but it supposedly improves performance for your car...if you are not going to race, i dont suggest you really need to buy it, so just leave it...because its not that important.

BTW, i bought a pack of 2 from Tower Hobbies and they cost 5$, and the features of the schotsky from Tower says Offers more consistent braking, more efficient motor operation and allow cooler operation of electronic speed control.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:15 AM
Hyrax

This was taken from Novaks website;

"The Schottky diode works in conjunction with the speed control during partial throttle to carry recirculating current back from the motor during the 'off-time' of switching. It reduces brake-fade that results from heat being transferred from the diode to the brake transistors. Schottky diodes are most efficient when located as close to the motor as possible, and will help reduce radio noise by limiting the distance large current spikes can travel."

I hope that helps.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:41 AM
hpiguy

With this older ESC it WILL help.

With an ESC made within the last three years it is really unnecessary.

BTw it can only be used with FORWARD ESCs. Reverse ESC will blow the diode right away.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:47 AM
ZIZI
My Feedback: (2)

yeah i know the diodes are polarized. and this is an old esc 1992-1995 so im not gonna take a risk or anything and just go out and buy a pair of those diodes.

ZIZI