Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Best RTR Stadium Truck for $200 help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Frozen72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best RTR Stadium Truck for $200 help!

I would get the E-Firestorm. You can bash and race it. The all steal tranny is great also.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:16 PM
JUSTPASSEDU
My Feedback: (20)

i wouldnt go with the evaders for $120 , i just picked up two of them from tower hobbies for my friends , opened up the box to one and it was perfect aside from the parts used feeling very cheap , steering was pretty bad, and no foam in the tires . i thought they would be good bashers but after opening the second one , turning it on and driving it no more than 3 mins and no faster then 5mph the whole front end just broke apart including the steering servo. I called tower shipped them back the next day and told my friends to chalk up a few more $'s and go with a traxxas bandit and rustler. My friend has a slash and no matter what he does to this thing it wont break (so far after 20+ beatings) . So my advice for a well built good beginners car that can be upgraded and made race worthy also id go with the traxxas for quality. Just my 2 cents and i thought id try and help. good luck ( i personally have an associated b4 ft and love it also only a few dollars more for the rtr version)
Old 08-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Evader ---> MGT

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

id stay away from the evader, go with a traxxas rustler or sumthing like that
Wow, biased fool!!!

The Evader is great! No probs with mine...

And Justpassedu, you didn't hit something at 5mph and break the whole front end. My lil 7 year old bro hits stuff at WOT and it just bounces back...
Old 08-13-2008, 02:43 PM
JUSTPASSEDU
My Feedback: (20)

ok i guess you have an evader and i have nothing really against duratrax , i owned 2 of their vehicles that were pretty good to me. the plastic that its made with does seem a lil cheaper then most vehicles. I have nothing to lie about and if your trying to start an arguement bring it someplace else. I am just trying help someone out. The evader that i got in the mail broke at 5mph that is no lie , maybe the one i got just was'nt built well ( there is always a dud in the group) they prob. make thousands of these things so there is always gonna be a few not properly built or messed up in someway. The other one i had got was fine and did not break aside from it just being kinda cheap compared to other vehicles. No foam in the tires was also kinda crappy. So for the extra few dollars i would go with a bandit or rustler , they are built tougher and can be bashed around better. My friend just got a slash and has beat the hell out of it with no breakage , hold it side by side with the evader and you can immediatly see the difference in quality. Im sure your evader is great and i wish you luck with it , i wasnt trying to really bash the car but state what i have seen with my own eyes.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:55 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: john01374

Any of the Traxxas products are durable and will last a long time with very little maintenance or upgrades needed. The Firestorm is another great durable truck but more expensive but if you can afford it then go for it.. If you’re bashing these two trucks are about the strongest things out there. If you plan to race then you might wanna look into an Associated or Losi but keep in mind they are true racers and not bashers. They will NOT take the abuse that either of the bashers will. It all comes down to what you wanna do with the truck. Either way I’d stay away from the Evader series. I’ve had both the ST and the BX pro and neither where any good. The main problems with them are the transmission, the slipper and the chassis.

well boo hoo to you and your bad experience with evaders, umm look into my signature at the bottom, there is a cheap fix to the tranny issue if you want to upgrade, as far as the slipper and chassis, thats the first i here of problems. i have never had any issues with my slipper or chassis, keep you slipper adjusted correctly and it will do it job. for the money the EXT evader is a great buy where are you gonna find a RTR stadium truck selling for 100 bucks?? not to mention the boat load of after market parts like alloy and graphite available for it...
Old 08-13-2008, 02:58 PM
sgtcat

ebay
Old 08-13-2008, 06:09 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cheech - The problems I had with the slippers was that they wouldn't keep there setting and would either tighten up making them completely useless or loosen up to the point where they would melt the spur. Long and short is they didn't do their job and I got just a little tired of stopping several times per battery to adjust the slipper. The problem With the chassis is simple. The trans bolts to a plate. That plate bolts to the main chassis. The area that the plate bolts to is weak and breaks. If you've had good luck with you Vaders then I'm happy for you because you are one of the few. As for myself and many I know, we have all moved away from the vaders for the reasons i've listed. I liked my Vader BX pro for a while. Enough so that I bought an ST a couple of months later. Keep in mind that what I was doing with them at the time was running them around in a back yard with no jumps etc. As soon as a track opened up the problems with both vaders became obvious when I broke the entire rearends off both in the same weekend.. And yes I have experience racing. I'm not knocking all of duratrax stuff as I have a couple of their mini quakes and they're awesome little trucks. Duratrax had a chance to improve the trucks when they released the new models but instead choose to sell a cheaper car. When someone comes on here asking for advise I can't recommend a car or truck that gave me the problems those two did. Buy quality once or buy cheap several times.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:23 PM
supercharged347

I JUST got my e-firestorm today UPS. I haggeled on price (ebay) was a buy it now, but had a make an offer option we went back and forth...and I ended up with it new in box for $154.50+ $15 shipping... Not bad. Havent tried it yet, but picked it after reading up on all the trucks in this price range. I think I'll be quite happy with it.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:31 PM
IloveMYxt2

I had a Evader EXT and I thought it was a o.k. truck. They are very very durable but as for the stock ESC and motor, they are junk. The motor will go out on you and the ESC isnt the greatest if you put a more powerful motor. The truck was fun and will not break. If you get a better ESC and motor, then your set.

I was never a Traxxas fan and will never be one. I have seen too many problems (my friends own them).

The E-Firestorm is good. I like HPI products.

I also like the XTM X-cellerator electric. For 150 bucks you get aluminum threaded shocks, full ball bearings, and a ok ESC and motor. And its only 30 bucks more than the EXT. And its durable as well.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:07 PM
willdawg

Any of the Traxxas products are durable and will last a long time with very little maintenance or upgrades needed. The Firestorm is another great durable truck but more expensive but if you can afford it then go for it.. If you’re bashing these two trucks are about the strongest things out there. If you plan to race then you might wanna look into an Associated or Losi but keep in mind they are true racers and not bashers. They will NOT take the abuse that either of the bashers will. It all comes down to what you wanna do with the truck. Either way I’d stay away from the Evader series. I’ve had both the ST and the BX pro and neither where any good. The main problems with them are the transmission, the slipper and the chassis.

Wow that was a great comment, seriously, just when you should go for the firestorm, just look EVERY and I mean EVERY where for the cheapest price, nothing worse than buying something then later seeing you coouldve bought it for 10$ less!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: willdawg

Wow that was a great comment, seriously, just when you should go for the firestorm, just look EVERY and I mean EVERY where for the cheapest price, nothing worse than buying something then later seeing you coouldve bought it for 10$ less!
I really wouldnt care if I got it $10 less. I usually buy on ebay just to get my feedback up. On ebay they have alot of vehivcles where there is a or best offer and free shipping and thier lowest best offer is usually $10 less. I mean what can I do with $10? Give it to a ho-bo?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:05 PM
rotor head33

haha bump^ although i do like my 10 dollars i do agree
Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Gyroguru

I really appreciate all of the good comments. One thing that is important is what cars/trucks the local hobby supports. Having local availability of parts is important thing.

For my airplanes, I use the Multiplex Royal EVO 9 because it is one of the best radios in the market. It has tons of features and feels really great in your hands.

http://www.multiplexusa.com/multiple...oyal_evo_9.php

The thing I am finding is that the radios for the low end cars are kind of, well, feels cheap. I am eying the Spektrum EX3R radio for the future. I checked out the other standalone transmitter and nothing seems to “feel†right in my hand as EX3R does.

In the mean time, I am leaning toward the Losi Speed T, over $100 my budget, for three reasons. One, local parts support. Two, it has brushless motor/ESC which translates in to power & efficiency. I fly brushless electric airplanes and there simply is no comparison between brushless and brushed. Three, it has 2.4GHz DSM receiver and little stripped radio. The receiver is compatible with EX3R (I think?). I will have to call Losi and find out for sure.

By the way, I have been using truck parts for my autogyros! I have been using Traxxas Stampede steering block for the autogyro gimbals with Lipo & brushless outrunner.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47...tm.htm#4760000

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=traxxas+
Old 08-15-2008, 12:10 AM
fasterrcs

what ever you do dont get a sportweaks raven the diff are total junk
Old 08-15-2008, 12:22 AM
RCCCS

ORIGINAL: Gyroguru

I am coming from RC airplane and I am ready to purchase my first electric stadium type truck.

I would really appreciate if anyone can recommend good RTR run truck for under $200. I am thinking about the DuraTrax Evader EXT EP ST RTR ($120) or the Traxxas Rustler XL-5 ($170). Not sure what you get for additional $50. They both seem to be about the same. One of my friends has the Evader but the steering is very touchy and no adjustment as far as rates. It seems that all RTR trucks don’t have a recharge jack for the transmitter.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXSGU7**&P=0

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=TRA3705

Thanks.
I HAVE HAD THE EVADER ST FOR WELL OVER 3 YEARS WITH VERY LIL PROBLEMS AND AM GOING ON 8 GAL OF FUEL SAME MOTOR WITH GREAT COMPRESSION STILL. VERY GOOD PRODUCT.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:49 AM
929rog

I bought my speed t for $200 new in the box on ebay. Added desert truck shock shafts and pistons (about $10) and put in a desert truck gear diff ($24). You can put balls in the diff cheap and make it a ball diff. Comes locked, just take out the clips and add balls. Brushless, DSM, under $250...excellent truck. If you get one spend the $28 on the programming kit.. The card is not great. I've had several trucks and one thing I've learned. You will want to go faster. If you want to go faster you will need brushless. Brushless systems are $140-$200 so your better off doing it from the start. If you buy a $200 RTR the add a $200 brushless system... Speed T is a great deal, and comes with the newest XXXT CR chassis (same part number). With a couple parts it can be converted to a full XXXT. And, someone said earlier Losi trucks and AE are not good bashers, race only. Not true at all. I've beat my XXXT for over a year and a half and its been excellent. As always, if you run into things you will break it... especially with brushless.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62386.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	1011979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66325.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1011980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48420.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1011981  
Old 08-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Smell_The_Nitro
My Feedback: (1)

I would get the e-firestorm flux .... I am waiting until next week and picking one up for $269 nib (hope discount code still works). If you cant swing the extra 70 bones I would get the regular e-firestorm I have not read any complaints about them tough as nails and out handles rustler.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Gyroguru

How does the E-Firestorm 10T Flux RTR compare to the Brushless Speed T?

The Flux is $310 vs. $330 for the Speed T.

I bumped my budget up to $300 for the truck, due to my experience with brushlesss on airplanes. The Speed T is brushless already for $329 through Horizon Hobby. Actually my budget was $200 for a truck and $200-$300 good radio. $310 - 330 for Truck + $320 for Spektrum DX3R = $650 (not including battery).

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSB0101

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB0101
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42881.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1012152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79680.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	1012153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79542.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1012154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78760.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1012155  
Old 08-23-2008, 10:28 AM
VVRC

I concur...but I would pick the Slash.....MUCH MORE FUN
Old 08-23-2008, 11:42 AM
powerslider

The Flux has a much stronger trans than the Losi, that's rather important if you run high power setups. The Losi has a plastic idler gear that may strip (trust me I know from experience) the Flux is all steel. Both good trucks overall.....
Old 08-24-2008, 11:18 PM
offroadjunkie

ORIGINAL: VVRC

while i haven't had any probs w/ my evader ext (other than antenna tubes and bustin the plastic shocks:but hey,a $100 truck and 1 year warantee...and the alluminum threaded body shocks were only $15 a pair),i love traxxas too,but some of us thing the slash is just butt ugly[:'(]...lol,joking,JOKING,just so much vader bashing goin on w/ little reasons as to why
Old 08-24-2008, 11:23 PM
offroadjunkie

oh,but the traxxas tq radios were the bane of my existance back in my modded t-maxx days (tho made by futaba,my vader's radio does feel kinda cheap too tho[&:])
Old 08-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Always Dreamin

e-firestorm hands down.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:56 PM
VVRC

ORIGINAL: offroadjunkie

ORIGINAL: VVRC

while i haven't had any probs w/ my evader ext (other than antenna tubes and bustin the plastic shocks:but hey,a $100 truck and 1 year warantee...and the alluminum threaded body shocks were only $15 a pair),i love traxxas too,but some of us thing the slash is just butt ugly[:'(]...lol,joking,JOKING,just so much vader bashing goin on w/ little reasons as to why

Yeah I thought it was ugly too.....LOL...it grew on me!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:59 PM
Always Dreamin

Well, no reason to argue over looks, that's a personal opinion. That said, I have always liked the look of the Slash, but I wouldn't want to be replacing those big bodies. [:'(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.