Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

This is tough

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 05:02 AM
Nlght-Hawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is tough

I have a 14 turn motor with a dynamite speed controller and I keep melting the connections from the motor. I have to resolder it almost everytime I run it.

This last time I fed some of the wire throught the eye on the motor connector and put fresh solder on it. Well I ran it for <5min and it finally came undone on a jump. When I went to retrieve it, it had actually melted the solder to form a fresh bead.

I don't know what temp solder needs to be to melted, but is this a common occurence and is there something I could be doing differently?
Old 05-19-2003, 08:07 AM
Hyrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is tough

WOW

What type of solder are you using?

That is what percentage lead and tin is the solder.

You should be using 60% lead, 40% tin rosin core solder.

60-40 melts at 371 degrees fahrenheit or 188 degrees celsius. If you motor is getting that hot you've got a serious problem.

What voltage are you running the motor on?

What run time are you getting?

Are the com and brushes ok?

Is the whole motor getting hot or just the endbell?