Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New Truck from Losi on 8.29

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 PM
team carpet fire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Truck from Losi on 8.29

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

All Losi vehicles are made in the USA, Ontario California to be exact. When Horizon bought out Losi that is when the quality was lost.

But wasnt Losi just the one releasing a $500 L8ight Race Roller? Tell me a popular class that losi isnt in? Losi is making a electric brushless 8ight, how is that low quality and not geared towards racers? If they win the worlds with their 8ight which is already the best 8th scale vehicle they are going to make a new 8ight or a 8ight WE. But this 3 year old design still kicks *****.
why do you think there making an electrict 8 ?? they have a body and stickers for one becouse they have an electric conversion for the 8ight . electric monster truck is a popular class and so is the short course/ slash class those are popular and losi isnt in them. and the dt is far from a competitor for the slash. and the 8ight would be the best in your opinion im sure alot of people dissagre and dont like the 8ight
Old 08-27-2008, 08:56 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

Looks like a pede made from twigs IMO. Those suspension components don't look up to the job for such large tires.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Gex_61

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

All Losi vehicles are made in the USA, Ontario California to be exact. When Horizon bought out Losi that is when the quality was lost.

But wasnt Losi just the one releasing a $500 L8ight Race Roller? Tell me a popular class that losi isnt in? Losi is making a electric brushless 8ight, how is that low quality and not geared towards racers? If they win the worlds with their 8ight which is already the best 8th scale vehicle they are going to make a new 8ight or a 8ight WE. But this 3 year old design still kicks *****.
Because they are located in California, doesn't mean their stuff is made in California. Most of the parts for their older cars are still made in the USA.

I never said anything bad about the 8ight kit. There isn't a piece on that car that "needs" to be upgraded. A lot of the parts on it are made in Taiwan though. I race dirt oval, and I'm not impressed with the L8ight model. It's the same thing. They slapped new shock towers on it and made it a roller.

Most of the parts for losi's new cars, and their mini's are made in China. The quality shows.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22313.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1020833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76380.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1020834  
Old 08-27-2008, 09:26 PM
fusebmx13

ORIGINAL: CustomTamiyas4Life

Looks like a pede made from twigs IMO. Those suspension components don't look up to the job for such large tires.
Thats what im saying lol It looks like a model made of tooth picks.

And Gex im pretty sure that says made in china right? am i right or am i just seeing something wrong?

Also there mini's suck, they are nothing to the rc18t. I have both and the mini t is nothing in performance. 2wd mini is the worst i think.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Gex_61

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

And Gex im pretty sure that says made in china right? am i right or am i just seeing something wrong?

Also there mini's suck, they are nothing to the rc18t. I have both and the mini t is nothing in performance. 2wd mini is the worst i think.
I love the mini-t to death. After you upgrade everything, it is a great car. I think it handles very similar to the xxx-t. You can't compair a 4wd to a 2wd. It's just not fair. It doesn't mean that the mini-t isn't a good car. I wish more companies would make mini 2wd stadium trucks. If you can drive a rwd rc, you can drive anything.[8D]

Losi lost it when they rereleased it with only one changed part. I don't even think the slider or late model should be listed as 1/18 scale. Isn't it like 15 inches long?
Old 08-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: [Awaiting Approval]

Again, Losi started the offroad mini craze. Do you actually think there would be a 18t if there wasnt a mini t?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:13 PM
team carpet fire

yes i think there would have been an 18t if there was no mini-t ae would have realized they needed one
Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

where do you think your rc18t is made? CHINA too, just because something's made in china doesn't mean it's crap. china can make good things or cheap things depending on what they're ordered to produce.
I had an RC18b and got rid of it because it was pretty crummy compared to the 1/10 AE kits imo

the high roller is going to be a faster and better handling version of the pede for similar money

competition is good, a better pede from losi will make traxxas either upgrade theirs or drop the price, either way competition is good for the consumer which is US

Old 08-27-2008, 11:40 PM
kurtz

Well...not what I was hoping for. I guess I don't need to be anxious about the official release on Friday!
Old 08-28-2008, 12:34 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some pics........................

Old 08-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Gex_61

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

where do you think your rc18t is made? CHINA too, just because something's made in china doesn't mean it's crap. china can make good things or cheap things depending on what they're ordered to produce.
I had an RC18b and got rid of it because it was pretty crummy compared to the 1/10 AE kits imo

the high roller is going to be a faster and better handling version of the pede for similar money

competition is good, a better pede from losi will make traxxas either upgrade theirs or drop the price, either way competition is good for the consumer which is US
Yep, you're right. I honestly did not know that. I thought AE made everything here. I do think the rc18 is great quality though. The plastic is good quality; I haven't broken any knuckles or a-arms. The latest Losi parts I've bought.... eh.

I was a little too harsh earlier anyways.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Chris_RC

The thing that pretty much stands out on the truck is the shocks. They look really nice. The body looks good too.

Not trying to be bashing AE but if it was good quality why didnt they include a gear cover?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 AM
hands without shadows

The tires look really stiff and the bumpers are way too high, but I like it.

I want to see some transmission pics. Anyone got any?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:17 AM
bmwnla

I think it looks sick but i think they went the wrong way with it. They should have made it in its cheap starter version and a brushless + 2.4ghz radio version. They could force people to buy their lipo's too by putting their high current connector right on the Xceleron ESC
Old 08-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

You are rediculous if you think they are still marketing towards racers.
Lets see , 8ight , 8ight T , 8ight-E , L8ight , XXX-T CR , XXX-CR , XXX-4G+ , Jrx-s and LST2 . Sounds like they have it covered pretty damn good to me .

Ad as far as the RTR "junk" , this came from many newbies a few years back complaining they had to build the cars . Plus RTRs will get someone into the hobby , many are to intimidated to get into the hobby and race right away . Yes , things have changed since Horizon bought Losi , but there was a reason Losi sold out . They weren`t making enough money to stay ahead anymore with just race kits . As proven by Traxxas and others that started RTRs , there is a market for RTRs which sell more then race quality kits .
Old 08-28-2008, 05:28 PM
powerslider

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

Yeah me too, what ya wanna bet it has plastic gears[]

Probably why it's setup for 6 cells....
Old 08-28-2008, 05:51 PM
team carpet fire

plastic gears are not bad the thing called a slipper prtects the plastic gears
Old 08-28-2008, 06:00 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: powerslider

some transmissions with plastic gears handle brushless power just fine (B4/T4 for one)

A well designed plastic gear could be vastly stronger than a poorly designed steel one
Old 08-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Jailbird1818
My Feedback: (5)

I like the looks of it so I'll probably pick one up. I just really wish the RTRs would taper off a bit so we could see some more kits out there. Building the car is what got me into this hobby over 20 years ago.

-JB
Old 08-28-2008, 06:12 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the looks of it so I'll probably pick one up. I just really wish the RTRs would taper off a bit so we could see some more kits out there. Building the car is what got me into this hobby over 20 years ago.

-JB
I agree, the spirit of the hobby is to be found with kits and DIY stuff.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:14 PM
powerslider

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

ORIGINAL: powerslider

some transmissions with plastic gears handle brushless power just fine (B4/T4 for one)

A well designed plastic gear could be vastly stronger than a poorly designed steel one
Yes they do but some don't handle it very well for long in the right conditions. If it's not pointed out it will never be changed, I have hopes though...... I boiled my last idler gear so we'll see how long it lasts this time.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Jailbird1818
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: sheograth

-JB
I agree, the spirit of the hobby is to be found with kits and DIY stuff.
I think thats why I'm going to tackle a plane or heli for a winter project this year.

-JB
Old 08-28-2008, 07:31 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: Dawman

You are rediculous if you think they are still marketing towards racers.
Lets see , 8ight , 8ight T , 8ight-E , L8ight , XXX-T CR , XXX-CR , XXX-4G+ , Jrx-s and LST2 . Sounds like they have it covered pretty damn good to me .

Ad as far as the RTR "junk" , this came from many newbies a few years back complaining they had to build the cars . Plus RTRs will get someone into the hobby , many are to intimidated to get into the hobby and race right away . Yes , things have changed since Horizon bought Losi , but there was a reason Losi sold out . They weren`t making enough money to stay ahead anymore with just race kits . As proven by Traxxas and others that started RTRs , there is a market for RTRs which sell more then race quality kits .
i agree Losi did not sell out, they are still a very race oriented company, and who ever says there stuff has downgraded is talking trash cuz that also is not true... lastly i agree with the statement with losi making RTR to keep the company a float... you have to cater to the basher crowd also in order to make money in the business. Whats wrong with making money???Losi is smart there doing both, they cater to racers and bashers and for those who want RTR at the same time...
Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Snaut Rocket

I agree with most of you, but why this.
Everybody already thinks it looks like a peed
they couldn't make something a little different.
how about a nice 1/5th scale.
or at least show some innovation.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:51 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: Snaut Rocket

I agree with most of you, but why this.
Everybody already thinks it looks like a peed
they couldn't make something a little different.
how about a nice 1/5th scale.
or at least show some innovation.
yeah, an entirely new chassis is pretty much the opposite of innovation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.