Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rustler XL5 4 engines fried in one month What is wrong

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 AM
drippingRc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustler XL5 4 engines fried in one month What is wrong

I bought this for my son 2 months ago. This is the 1st time we have had an RC vehicle. We just zip around in the back yard and we have burned out 4 motors now. Why are we doing this? I just keep buying the standard Traxxs 12T 550 motor. We seem to get maybe 6-8 runs max out of each engine. We never run it more than 2 times a day. We will run one battery and maybe pop in another one until it is drained and then we don’t run it again for maybe a day or two. I am sure it is getting hot but it doesnt seem to be abused. Is there a different engine we should be buying? Or is it normal to burn out the engines that quick.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Stang444

Default RE: Rustler XL5 4 engines fried in one month What is wrong

To tell you the truth, traxxas sucks at electric motors.....sorry but yea.

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJNG5&P=0[/link]

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMUN9&P=0[/link]

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJAK2&P=0[/link]

Here's a few higher quality motors, that are in the same ball park performance, and pricewise, but these are rebuildable, and they wont burn out nearly as fast as the traxxas.

There is a slight chance that this keeps happening, if it does, it's more than likely your esc. hope I could help. Happy driving bro.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:25 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

drippingRc - I'm guessing the motor is getting too hot and you're burning it up. It not your fault as Traxxas has a nasty habit of over gearing (23/86 is too high) their cars to claim a higher top speed. Combine that with the fact that the Titan is not the best quality and you get a motor that doesn't last very long. As stated above there are a bunch of 540 sized motors you can use that will easily out perform the titan. Just make sure you stay above 15 turns and gear it correctly. If you're jsut bashing in the back yard i'd recommend you check out the S-600 motor from great plaines. It's about $16 from tower and it's lasted me several months without any issues. It's a 550 sized motor and after about 20 mins of break in it's everybit as fast as the stock titan with more torque. I run mine with the stock spur gear and a 20 tooth pinion and it never gets hot. Keep in mind that is not rebuildable so eventually it will need to be replaced but I haven't had one go bad yet and I have somewhere over 80 runs on mine. One last thing. If you haven't done it already. replacing the bushings with bearings makes a hugh difference. Get yourself a set of the VXL hubs and bearings. There's no need to spend the money on the RPM pieces.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJ766&P=ML
Old 08-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Always Dreamin

The Titan doesn't suck, it's simply over geared from the factory.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:22 PM
wasting money

You need to break in the motor when it's new. My nephew was burning up his Titan fast like you until he broke it in by running in the ecs in training mode. Did that for like two times with a 6-cell battery and his Titan has lasted a lot longer than his first three. The 12 turn Titan does suck, if your paying for the replacments, buy something better.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:37 PM
drippingRc

what does break in a motor mean? Is there some sort of proceedure for breaking in a motor. I have heard the term "break in a motor" but didnt understand what to do?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:41 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

Breaking in a motor seats the brushes. There are many methods of doing this, a popular one is to run the motor submerged in water. You probably need to to change the gearing and definitely stop buying titans. Go for a nice 27t or 19t motor. It will be faster and last longer if geared correctly.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:55 PM
wasting money

ORIGINAL: drippingRc

what does break in a motor mean? Is there some sort of proceedure for breaking in a motor. I have heard the term "break in a motor" but didnt understand what to do?
You need to put your esc into "training mode". It limits power to 50%. Check your owners manual on how to do it.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:03 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

Simply limiting the throttle will not do much for break in. Submerging in in water limits the wear and heat during break in.
Here is the answer to all of your break in questions- http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5628228/tm.htm
Old 08-25-2008, 03:33 PM
wasting money

It did for my nephew. The motor he broke in with just driving in training mode has lasted 3 times longer than the ones he did not break in, plus it's still running. I'm sure that other ways are better, but 2 packs in training mode is making his motor last longer.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:49 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I break in a motor I simply prop the drive wheels up and set the trim on the controller so the motor is just barely spinning. Let it run for 20 mins or so then let the motor cool. A quick blast with motor spary and It's ready to run. Just keep and eye on the motor temp and make sure it doesnt get hot. Mine have never gotten even a little warm but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I've never run a motor under water so I don't know how that would work but there's that little thing in the back of my brain that says water and electricty shouldn't be used together.

Like others have said. if you have to buy another motor buy something other than a titan