Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Stampede VXL vs Rustler VXL

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 06:18 PM
yellowisthefastest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampede VXL vs Rustler VXL

Well I am buying my first RC car and after reading here and many other places I am trying to narrow down my purchase. This is going to purely be something I use for fun no racetracks in my future. I will run it around the yard 95% of the time, this consists of grass, dirt, hills, etc; but would also like to run it in the sand every once in awhile. I like the Stampede as it looks like a lot of fun and can me very fast depending on the batteries used. My one concern would be that I heard that it was very tippy. So that made me wonder if I would be better off with the Rustler. Is there a big difference in ground clearance and suspension between these two? Anyone that can give there opinion of these or even other models please feel free. I was mainly going to these two as the brushless motors seem to be the way to go. Thanks for your help and opinions.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 PM
deanR

Default RE: Stampede VXL vs Rustler VXL

IMO the stampede is way more fun. all of the stampede/rustler/bandit have crappy handling anyway, so why not get the one thats more fun. especially brushless
Old 08-25-2008, 10:39 PM
dacaur

Yes the stampede will be way better in grass than a rustler much better ground clearance..... But for what you say you will be doing grass, dirt, hills, etc, a 4WD monster truck will be WAY better and WAY more fun.... If the VXL's are at the upper limit of your price range, then yea go for the stampede... If you can afford to go a "little" higher, an E-maxx or E-revo will be way more fun off road...
Old 08-26-2008, 12:56 AM
djangomangalam
My Feedback: (8)

If bashing is your only priority the stampede is what your looking for.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:01 AM
Always Dreamin

I found a couple flaws with the Stampede. One, commonly stripped servo savers, two, bad body mounting system. I go through bodies all the time. The Rustler doesn't have any flaw compared to the Stampede. The Rustler jumps better, IMO is a little stronger, better handling, and can go over most of the same stuff. The Stampede is just a raised Rustler, there is nothing wrong with that. Just saying, it's not exactly a big 4wd mt.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:44 AM
cooldriver385

The stampede can take jumps WAY!! BETTER than the rustler trust me on this i have one and it is awsome
Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 AM
deanR

yea it flies so much higher. its lighter
Old 08-26-2008, 10:07 AM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

personally if you wanna go BL get the e-firestorm and pick up a sidewinder BL system (same as flux) from stormer hobbies, way better than either of the other 2, and it's just a bit more, like 310 for it all, now rember your gunna need batts and a charger i recomend either EP's or IB's or some orions those are good, don't get cheep batts, try to spend about 100 on 2-3 packs and for a charger i recomend the mrc superbrain 977 it's a great charger, but it runs at about 100 just so you know so going bl is gunna cost you about 400-500 from nothing

the lug
Old 08-26-2008, 11:00 AM
yellowisthefastest

Thanks for all the help. I looked at some of the 4 wheel drive cars as well. The EMass, ERevo (pretty spendy), and the E Savage. I am torn on if I should go with a 4 wheel drive or not. Any downfall or opinions on 4 wheel vs 2 wheel? Like I said I will run it in the grass dirt and sand 95% of the time but I also want it to be fast. Thanks
Old 08-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: cooldriver385

The stampede can take jumps WAY!! BETTER than the rustler trust me on this i have one and it is awsome
I've owned them both, IMO the Rustler is more stable in the air, more air control, and usually lands better as all the weight isn't in the back.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: yellowisthefastest

Thanks for all the help. I looked at some of the 4 wheel drive cars as well. The EMass, ERevo (pretty spendy), and the E Savage. I am torn on if I should go with a 4 wheel drive or not. Any downfall or opinions on 4 wheel vs 2 wheel? Like I said I will run it in the grass dirt and sand 95% of the time but I also want it to be fast. Thanks
Just don't go with the E-savage. It's nothing like the bigger model (nitro), and IMO the E-maxx or E-revo is hands down a better choice. If your going with 2wd, I would recommend the E-firestorm. I have been looking at picking one up.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:36 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: yellowisthefastest

the only downfall of 4x4 is it costs more.... for grass especially, 4x4 is the only way to go, unless you live on a putting green anyway 2 wheel drive just doesn't cut it on grass. I currently have a mini LST2 and a traxxas slash, on the street the 2 wheel drive slash is faster, but in the grass, the 4x4 mini LST2 goes lots faster than the slash, and accelerates WAY faster.... the 2 wheel drive slash just doesn't have the traction to accelerate well in grass, especially if its damp at all...

while the e-revo is pretty spendy, it will jump WAY better than anything else listed here, and has more suspension travel, plus its rocker arm suspension gives it progressive travel you just cant get with a normal suspension....... my next truck will be an e-revo... lots of saving to do lol....
Old 08-26-2008, 06:07 PM
yellowisthefastest

Thanks Dacaur-Thanks for the reply, that is more or less what I was getting after. It is hard to know exactly what you do and do not want unless you have first hand knowledge, which I dont. I think for me 4wheel drive is the way to go. So I guess that narrows it down to the emaxx and the erevo. I would guess the only reason to get the emaxx over the revo is the cheaper price? I had heard mixed opinions on the esavage.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:40 AM
dan323

im planing to get a new rc car had no experience and i want to do an equall amout of speed runs on road and the same amount of ashing but not hard bashing just going over small dirt and sand hills and going on grass and i dont know what to get. i want an opinion based on the stampede vxl stock and the rustler vxl stock and also the stampede 4x4 vxl stock. thanks
ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

I found a couple flaws with the Stampede. One, commonly stripped servo savers, two, bad body mounting system. I go through bodies all the time. The Rustler doesn't have any flaw compared to the Stampede. The Rustler jumps better, IMO is a little stronger, better handling, and can go over most of the same stuff. The Stampede is just a raised Rustler, there is nothing wrong with that. Just saying, it's not exactly a big 4wd mt.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 AM
dan323

i would also run them round the park and on hills but not much
Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

If you're getting one of the Traxxas VXLs, get a Stampede or Slash 4x4. Minimal price increase compared to the 2wd trucks, and far better/stronger trucks.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:37 PM
dacaur

+1 for the 4x4.... no comparison on or off road....
Old 08-16-2011, 04:45 AM
dan323

thanks. i am still a bit confused because i want a fast accelleration car but i dont know if the stampede can handle it since im a noob i dont know how good 4x4's are i have a small road about 20 to 30 meters and want some good acceleration and good control when accelerating. so the stampede vxl 4x4 or the rustler vxl. someone tell me for sure which one to get thanks.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 AM
dan323

i have also considered the hpi e firestorm flux as i wont spend a lot of time upgrading the stock
Old 08-16-2011, 03:14 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: dan323

thanks. i am still a bit confused because i want a fast accelleration car but i dont know if the stampede can handle it since im a noob i dont know how good 4x4's are i have a small road about 20 to 30 meters and want some good acceleration and good control when accelerating. so the stampede vxl 4x4 or the rustler vxl. someone tell me for sure which one to get thanks.
Between those two and ONLY those two, get the Stampede 4x4. Alternatively you could have a better truck if you got the Firestorm Flux and some cheap LiPos and spend about the same amount of money.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:55 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or wait a week and get the Savage Flux Xs for $250 (with $50 off $300 code) 4x4, water proof, 40 on 2s, 65 on 3s and only an inch or so shorter then the pede.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:03 AM
dan323

so i should get the 4x4 but i liked the speed of the rustler and handling as ive looked and asked on other forums. the problem with the flux is that it cant take a 3s lipo and i want it to. i have read that the rustlers fine on grass with the right tires. im proably on hard flat ground 70% of the time and grass about 20% and the rest dirt and sand and water
Old 08-17-2011, 12:51 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who says the flux cant take a 3s? The new flux can take 3s.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:49 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: dan323

so i should get the 4x4 but i liked the speed of the rustler and handling as ive looked and asked on other forums. the problem with the flux is that it cant take a 3s lipo and i want it to. i have read that the rustlers fine on grass with the right tires. im proably on hard flat ground 70% of the time and grass about 20% and the rest dirt and sand and water
If you want something that handles well, don't buy a Rustler.

The Flux XS will take 3S.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 PM
dacaur

Yep. If what you want is something that goes really fast in a straight line on road, a rustler is just the ticket. If you are going to be driving on groomed track's, a rustler is fine, but for anything else, get the stampede or slash 4x4.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.