Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Tamiya Rising Storm - beginner advice ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Gogu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Rising Storm - beginner advice ?

Hello!

As the title says I want to buy a kit version of the above model. I own a nitro 1:8 buggy which i plan to sell unfortunately. Very fun but too time consuming and dirty. I only played with it a couple of times so don't think i'm some kind of expert or somethin...

As this is my first electric car what are the things that I should be aware of ? The kit includes a 540 size engine ? What is this and what does 540 size mean ? Is it a brushed or brushless one ? What's the difference between the 2 ? Does any of them require any maintenance similar to nitro cars (break-in or something... ? ) .

Is this model a good one ? As I said i'm a beginner so i'll take it easy at first but are the parts inside it ok and all ? If I want more power can I buy a more powerful battery pack for this engine or should I switch to brushless ?

Can I stick on-road tyres to this model ?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:52 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

Default RE: Tamiya Rising Storm - beginner advice ?

The rising storm is a durable, easy to build and maintain kit, making it great for a beginner. 540 is the motor size, the kit comes with a brushed esc and motor. Any of the electronics can be upgraded until you achieve the speed and handling you desire. There are on road style tires available for them as well. These are less maintenance than nitro. They require greasing and oiling periodically though. It is possible to break in electric motors but it's not necessarily required.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Druss

The Rising Storm is on the DF-02 chassis and is pretty good. There are the newer DF-03 and DB-01 chassis though that are a bit better. The DB-01 is based on the TRF501X advanced racing model and has a lot of tuning options.

The DF-02 is fine for a beginner though. I'd suggest you use the stock brushed esc and motor until you think you need more, there's no point in putting in a brushless system until you know you don't like the stock one.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:44 AM
Gogu

Thanks guys. Can you please tell me what is the diff between a brushed and brushless motor ? Does the brushed one require some kind of maintenance other than the initial break in ? I read something about changing the brushes ???

Does this Tamyia have a slipper clutch ? I read on the boards here that some electric models from them don't have it and they get wasted pretty quickly because of the high power of the little electric motors.

Umm...where can i get this whole chassis and model history that you guys have ? I've browsed the tamiya home pages and they suck...very unorganized and hectic. It's good to know your facts around these models.

And how old is this model ?
Old 09-07-2008, 11:54 AM
460ford
My Feedback: (3)

The df02 is an older model, but still a very durable buggy. It has lots of parts and upgrades avaiable for it. It takes a beating and can handle low turn brushless motors. Drivetrain is strong, really dont need a slipper; just don't hold wot and land from a jump too often. I like it better than the above mentioned buggies; I had the other ones and sold them and just recently bought the cheaper df02. I put larger truck tires on it so I can drive more places, higher ground clearance. I don't think you can go wrong w/this buggy.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Druss

I'm not sure how you can say the df-02 is better than the df-03 or the db-01.... and yes if you plan on putting in a high power brushless system then definitely get the slipper clutch, if nothing else it will save the spur gear.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:17 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

I ran brushless in mine and ran it hard. The drivetrain is bulletproof.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 PM
460ford
My Feedback: (3)

I think the df02 is better for a basher/racer more-so than a racer only. I don't like the diffs in the df03 and dogbones pop out too much, even w/spacers. And I just didn't feel the belt in the db01 has the same 'feel'. That's just my .02. It didn't sound like goju was looking for a racer. For the price and what he was asking about, it seemed to me the df02 was his best fit? I am a big Tamiya fan, so I think all of them are good - but in the past few weeks of ownership, of a df02, I can't find and negatives - ok - very few.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Druss

Maybe you're right and he is looking for a basher... but I bash with the durga fine, it's held up no problems and personally I prefer belts. Lots of great buggies and cars out there with belts with no problems now.

I don't do organized racing either but imo if better tech is available, that's what I get. I also like the fully enclosed drive train so you're not always cleaning it out.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 AM
J.D.T

uhh the df 02 has a sealed drivetrain also, and newer does not always mean better, would you rather have a 2009 hemi charger or a 1969 hemi charger lol? the df 02 is a much better basher than either the db01 or df 03 IMO as it has gear diffs which last much longer than ball diffs and don't need the maintenance like ball diffs do, the df 02 can also be fitted four inch tall truck tires and a spool(locked rearend) for the ultimate bashing, on road wise you can fit it with any normal hpi touring car wheel and slicks, its never going to outhandle a real touring car but it will turn itself hard enough to traction roll
Old 09-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Gogu

Thanks guys! great answers!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Gogu

REviving this thread. I bought the kit and i have almost built it. Very happy. @ JDT - what kind of on-road wheels are you referring to ? 1:8 wheels I presume ? I tried to put one on the Tamiya but it kinda rubs the 2 screws that hold the wheels ansembly in place. If i'll put some spacers on them will they do the trick ?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Krazy Chicken

ORIGINAL: Druss

Maybe you're right and he is looking for a basher... but I bash with the durga fine, it's held up no problems and personally I prefer belts. Lots of great buggies and cars out there with belts with no problems now.

I don't do organized racing either but imo if better tech is available, that's what I get. I also like the fully enclosed drive train so you're not always cleaning it out.
you just like to argue with people don't you
Old 05-13-2010, 09:43 AM
3xc1d1u5

hey guys i have a rising storm and i am looking to get some upgrades, any idea where i should go for them?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:01 AM
860Crawler

eTamiya.com lots of GPM and 3Racing upgrades there.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:01 AM
J.D.T

don't waste your time with the aluminum arms, the stock ones are fine
Dinball/RCMart has alot of aluminum for these cars as well as square and tobee but tend to be higher priced and there standard shipping is way to slow IMO.
Champ RC in japan is where I get all my tamiya parts from(If you need more than one or two parts they are way cheaper and way faster than tamiya usa or tower hobbies even with shipping from the other side of the world) they also stock Square racing(aluminum and carbon fibre) and tobee craft racing(aluminum and hardened steel driveline componets)

If I had a budget I would start with the carbon fibre or aluminum front shock tower, I don't think the need for the rear tower is as bad
next CVDs for the drivetrain, if you get the tamiya ones you will need to replace the outdrives also, 53790 is cvd 53791 is outdrive from tamiya, get the sqaure or tobee steel or aluminum ones for a tt 01 if you get the tamiya cvds, if you get any other brand of cvd just buy the correct aluminum or steel outdrives for a df 02.
The square diff spool part Std 50H is under $20 from champ and really helps, having both rear wheels locked no matter what really helps IMO
Bigger tires if you want to offroad, pretty much any tire can be ran with the stock motor just gear it down with a .06 metric pinion from tamiya or robinson, the car can take 16-19 with the stock spur
Hope that helps
Old 05-16-2010, 02:32 PM
3xc1d1u5

what about upgrading the spur, i read some where you could install a slipper, since i will be racing with mine
Old 05-17-2010, 07:46 AM
J.D.T

there is no slipper for the df 02 available, you better be a real good driver or you will get smoked racing 4wd buggies with the df 02, I would say get a slash body and tires and race the df 02 against the slash 4 x 4s
Old 05-17-2010, 09:28 AM
860Crawler

wouldn't it be a bit small out there against the Slashes?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:59 AM
J.D.T

yeah its not a perfect fit, the wheelbase is the biggest part, its 2.5 inches shorter so fender trimming is a must, my cousin did one for his boy, a little trimming behind the front fender and alot in front of the rear fender to make it look closer to the right wheelbase, he went with the hpi wide offset wheels so the track width is about 1/2 inch thinner than a slash. I am sure he will upgrade to someting else next winter as more of the larger tracks are adding electric 4 x 4 open truck class, monster is dead around here so we even get them poured into the class now and again as the truggy guys want them even less than we do. We tried racing electric open 4 x 4(trucks, buggies whatever) but the buggies guys didn't want to be beat on like the slash guys tend to do.