Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rustler Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 04:17 PM
MTboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustler Help

Help me figure out what is wrong with my sons Rustler. We went and set up a track and about 5 min into it his stopped running.. The steering still works but when you give it gas it dont move.. Would like to figure this out but not sure what is going on. The ESC is on but no power to the rear... What can this be...
Old 09-14-2008, 04:36 PM
rotor head33

Default RE: Rustler Help

is it a stock motor, reprogram esc, if sputters discharge then charge batt
Old 09-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Chris_RC

Is there any voltage going to the motor?
Old 09-14-2008, 04:58 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I was going to guess motor, but if it has no power going to it then it is before the motor. Look to the esc, that's the next component upstream.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:15 PM
rotor head33

i figured since the steerings workin the motor should have power unless something came apart as far as wiring goes
Old 09-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Dudelive

ORIGINAL: MTboy

Help me figure out what is wrong with my sons Rustler. We went and set up a track and about 5 min into it his stopped running.. The steering still works but when you give it gas it dont move.. Would like to figure this out but not sure what is going on. The ESC is on but no power to the rear... What can this be...
You say there is no power to motor, but have you actually checked the voltage at the motor?

As guver stated if you have no power to the motor then it is upstream from the motor as in possible esc. If you have power at the motor then you may have a brush that is stuck or motor that needs cleaning or replacing. You need to be sure you have a charged battery also.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:20 PM
rotor head33

bump^
Old 09-14-2008, 05:20 PM
MTboy

Well the wiring looks good. Used a new fresh batt and still just steering. Evven took the ESC and reciever out of the WK but still no go.. You think it's the motor???/
Old 09-14-2008, 05:21 PM
rotor head33

try wiring to a diff motor with in the esc limit and check but the titan motors usually die pretty easily. i bet it may be in the esc though
Old 09-14-2008, 05:46 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Hook motor up to battery direct without a pinion gear to test it. OR test voltage on motor leads.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:21 PM
blueryu

i have a Rustler and it has done the same thing before. in your users manual there is a section that explains what the blinking codes mean on the esc. so when this first happened i just checked the blinking signals and then looked to my users manual. it had shut off due to over power protection. anyway, it always shuts off like that with my Venom battery but with my losi battery (both LIPO) it will run for 30 minutes. so i am not sure if you have already torn down the car but my guess it is just your ESC trying to protect either the car or your battery. i think these ESC's are a bit overly sensitive but should this continue to happen i was told by one hobby store to call Traxxas and they could help/explain what to do. good luck.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Fr33ze

Well the wiring looks good. Used a new fresh batt and still just steering. Evven took the ESC and reciever out of the WK but still no go.. You think it's the motor???/
I'm assuming this is an XL-5 ESC. Try the WK motor on the rusty's ESC. If it still don't go, its the ESC. My first VXL ESC did that, turns on, steering works, but no power to the motor. Tried reprogramming, nuthin changed. Tried different motor, still nuthin. Tried my other VXL ESC on the old motor, motor works fine. I contacted traxxas, they said to send the ESC to them for repair/replacement.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:27 PM
silverj

If it is a VXL the motor terminals on the ESC have been known to break loose internally and cause this problem. I had to resolder the connectors in the ESC because this happened to me a week after purchasing the Rustler. I have not had a problem since!!
Old 09-15-2008, 04:26 PM
MTboy

Ok so I tried everything you guys said. The Motor is shot... ESC works with my WK motor but for some reason the Rustler stock motor already burned up...[:@]
Ok so now I need a new one quick..lol Would like a good motor that will last and not to much money.. Any ideas for the Rustler? Links would help...
Old 09-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Chris_RC

I would look at the Team Checkpoint Money 19t motor. get 20 off 50 if you are new to tower and you get 2 extra sets of brushes and a comm stick for about $60.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:06 PM
shaunmichaeljohnson

helping in a traxxas thread chrisrc?? that's different

when my VXL motor blew up i had to use a titan 12t for a while (had a new one lying around)
it was broken in with the water method and i ran on 7 cell nimh geared 19/90.

i had a problem with the brush getting hung up a lot.

look at the rear of your motor and are both brush arms in the same posision?
if not then get a small stick and push both brush arms down a bit and then they should work again (or untill it happens next time )

but i also recomend getting a new motor
Old 09-15-2008, 05:21 PM
MTboy

LOL you act like I know what the brushes are..lol No but I looked at the back and they both look the same ( if those copper things angles a bit are what the brushes are). Both look to be angled the same so not sure if I did it right or not.. Called my LHS and they have a upgrade motor that he said will be fast for $50 but didn't catch the name of it..lol Looking for a cheap good motor that will last and if I need to pay 50 or more then I want a really good one..lol
Old 09-15-2008, 05:28 PM
MTboy

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

I would look at the Team Checkpoint Money 19t motor. get 20 off 50 if you are new to tower and you get 2 extra sets of brushes and a comm stick for about $60.
I didn't see this motor on tower and am wondering would it be enough to push the Rustler as fast as the stock?
What about this motor?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLRE3&P=7
Old 09-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Chris_RC

LOL you act like I know what the brushes are..lol No but I looked at the back and they both look the same ( if those copper things angles a bit are what the brushes are). Both look to be angled the same so not sure if I did it right or not.. Called my LHS and they have a upgrade motor that he said will be fast for $50 but didn't catch the name of it..lol Looking for a cheap good motor that will last and if I need to pay 50 or more then I want a really good one..lol
ok, brushes on a normal motor only last around 10 runs, maybe 20. On this money motor, they are more expensive, $10, but I bet you can get 40-60 runs on a set of brushes if you really wanted to. Brushes go onto the communtator, or comm and that is what makes the motor spin. You need to take the motor apart every about 10 runs if you want it to run longer and use an eraser if you dont want to buy a comm stick and "clean" the dirt of the comm. this will improve performance and longetavity. Hope this helps.

shaunmichaeljohnson- Traxxas threads are the only ones you can find now. lol
Old 09-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Chris_RC

You can only run motors higher than 15 turns with the xl5 esc. More turns= more accelration, longer run time, less turns= higher top speed, less runtime, more maintence

Money motor, [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRBE9&P=ML[/link]

If you dont know how to solder get these, [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTJ21&P=M]Trinity no solder leads[/link]

and brushes, [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRBL8&P=M[/link]

Those are the only motors that will work with those brushes but they are very good and last a long time. Or you can go brushless and get a Sidewinder 5700.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:44 PM
MTboy

Man am I looking like a newbie..lol I'm really not new to the hobby just electric.. Run gas but now with my son running the Rustler and both of us working on a drifter I need to learn this so......
Ok I think if I knew how to take motor apart it could be the brushes..lol But I can't seem to get a hold on the back good enough to bend the tabs up so I can pull the back of the motor.. Is there a methid to this or a write up on it? Would like something to look at so I know that I'm doing right.. Really have to give you guys props for all the help.. Thanks for your help..
Old 09-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Chris_RC

Man am I looking like a newbie..lol I'm really not new to the hobby just electric.. Run gas but now with my son running the Rustler and both of us working on a drifter I need to learn this so......
Ok I think if I knew how to take motor apart it could be the brushes..lol But I can't seem to get a hold on the back good enough to bend the tabs up so I can pull the back of the motor.. Is there a methid to this or a write up on it? Would like something to look at so I know that I'm doing right.. Really have to give you guys props for all the help.. Thanks for your help..
The titan 12t motor IS NOT rebuildable which means you cant take it apart.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:24 PM
MTboy

LOL. that makes me feel better.. Thought it was just me.
Would like to go brushless but don't think the wife is going to go for that...
Thanks for the links. I'm thinking that those will work. Sound the money motor last longer? How often will I have to rebuild it?
What sucks is I know a couple runs on this motor I will burn out the esc and then have to get that..lol Just need to work on the wife and get brushless..lol
Old 09-15-2008, 06:26 PM
traxxaspede

i had a small rock get jammes inbetween the comm and brushes on a titan 12t on my stampede. does the motor shaft turn/ try blowing out the inside with and air compressor /electric cleaner.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Chris_RC

LOL. that makes me feel better.. Thought it was just me.
Would like to go brushless but don't think the wife is going to go for that...
Thanks for the links. I'm thinking that those will work. Sound the money motor last longer? How often will I have to rebuild it?
What sucks is I know a couple runs on this motor I will burn out the esc and then have to get that..lol Just need to work on the wife and get brushless..lol
The motor will last the longest if you take it apart every 10 runs just to clean the windings out with motor spray if you have it and use an eraser of if you want a comm pen from tower. When you clean the comm you need an x-acto knife to get all the debris in the slots where there is no comm. The more often you rebuild, the longer your brushes last. You also need to break it in. Just take it out of the car and hook it up and run it at really low speed so it barely moves and go up slighly faster. Then put it in your car and start putting and after a run you should be good. hope this helps.