Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

gearing for traxxas rustler vxl

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:08 PM
camaross427

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gearing for traxxas rustler vxl

A traxxas rustler vxl on ener-g 8.4v 7cell 4600batteries...what gearing should i use?

i don't plan on racing..just driving it around at parks near my house, this will include heavy accleration, some top speed runs donuts jumps etc. a lot of abuse lol, i want something balanced between top end speed and acceleration, i have heard that a vxl rusty on good 7cell's should hit 45-50mph, so if i can get it to have good acceleration, get near or above the claimed speed and still run genarally cool that would be good.

Also, i want to be able to check how hot my motor/esc are running in my car..but a temp gun is somewhat expensive...will a regular electronic thermometer work? i don't need it to be exact..just within a few degrees..

Thanks for your help
Old 10-08-2008, 05:44 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: gearing for traxxas rustler vxl

you can buy a small temp gun off ebay for just $30. with rc's thats money well spent. youll never be guessing if your new mod is going to fry something.
those who say 7cells will do 45-50 a telling "big fish" stories. but its easy to see why. the brushless motor in the vxl's will out-accel most brushed motors on the same amount of volts. but, the top speed is only slightly greater. the much faster acceleration gives the feeling of much greater speed.
on 8cell, 40-45mph is reasonable. maybe it can go faster on 8cell, but only on street for speed runs.
i would use the same gearing the traxxas speed chart uses for 7cells, that being 28/83.
you could probly go alittle higher, but if you are going to run off-road alot then its safer to gear low. traxxas usually over-gears it vehicles. so, if 28/83 is reccomended for 7cells, then its probly just right for 8cells!

i just looked on ebay, and a DURATRAX FLASHPOINT temp gun can be yours for $28 including shipping. you just point and hit the button, easy as pie.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48370.jpg
Views:	27517
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1048266  
Old 10-08-2008, 05:51 PM
camaross427

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

you can buy a small temp gun off ebay for just $30. with rc's thats money well spent. youll never be guessing if your new mod is going to fry something.
those who say 7cells will do 45-50 a telling "big fish" stories. but its easy to see why. the brushless motor in the vxl's will out-accel most brushed motors on the same amount of volts. but, the top speed is only slightly greater. the much faster acceleration gives the feeling of much greater speed.
on 8cell, 40-45mph is reasonable. maybe it can go faster on 8cell, but only on street for speed runs.
i would use the same gearing the traxxas speed chart uses for 7cells, that being 28/83.
you could probly go alittle higher, but if you are going to run off-road alot then its safer to gear low. traxxas usually over-gears it vehicles. so, if 28/83 is reccomended for 7cells, then its probly just right for 8cells!

i just looked on ebay, and a DURATRAX FLASHPOINT temp gun can be yours for $28 including shipping. you just point and hit the button, easy as pie.
i may buy one of those temp guns..only if a thermometer won't work.. i will test to see how accurate it is before i buy a temp gun...i have seen people using speed radars...ener-g 7cell's have gotten to 45mph....wan't to see 4 my self though...i am only going to be using 7cell not 8 cell..eventually a lipo..

i think i will go 28/83 then...but i will also ask the guy at the hobby shop near me says

thanks for your help
Old 10-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: camaross427

i may buy one of those temp guns..only if a thermometer won't work.. i will test to see how accurate it is before i buy a temp gun...i have seen people using speed radars...ener-g 7cell's have gotten to 45mph....wan't to see 4 my self though...i am only going to be using 7cell not 8 cell..eventually a lipo..

i think i will go 28/83 then...but i will also ask the guy at the hobby shop near me says

thanks for your help
trust me, get a temp gun.. it's a good lifetime investment. you spent $150 on a brushless system, now make it worth it by being smart. the ener-g cells are good, niMh no doubt, but good. they will get you going pretty fast. fuse is a perfect example. he had ener-g's then got lipo and the lipo wasn't even much faster. ener-g's are the best things to lipo, well then A123, but that's another story. you should get plenty of punch. buy a temp gauge. IMO i would go with 23/86. I use that with my 2s, i get around 45 mph, cool temps, good runtime, plenty of torque, etc. or 25/86.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:51 PM
camaross427

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: camaross427

thanks for your help
trust me, get a temp gun.. it's a good lifetime investment. you spent $150 on a brushless system, now make it worth it by being smart. the ener-g cells are good, niMh no doubt, but good. they will get you going pretty fast. fuse is a perfect example. he had ener-g's then got lipo and the lipo wasn't even much faster. ener-g's are the best things to lipo, well then A123, but that's another story. you should get plenty of punch. buy a temp gauge. IMO i would go with 23/86. I use that with my 2s, i get around 45 mph, cool temps, good runtime, plenty of torque, etc. or 25/86.
Ok, i think i will go with that gearing or something around that....i will buy a temp gun...don't want to be blowing a expensive system like you said lol...what is a good temp for it? thanks
Old 10-09-2008, 07:26 AM
04DarkShadowGT

If you have a Harbor Freight tools near you they have a temp gauge very similar to the duratrax one. I think it was $8 on sale when I bought mine. It doesnt read as high as the DTX one, but electric stuff never gets hot enough for it to max out. I think its 250 F max temp.

www.harborfreight.com
Old 02-16-2016, 01:38 PM
Redjet78

Does anybody know i my vxl motor is running hot it seems should is the motor ok if hot to touch. I am running 76spur gear and and a 31 pinion gear i found the first problem i not adjusted my clutch right i put a new in its right but my motor is still getting hot and kind of acking funny at low throttle did damage the motor or is it in the transmission somewhere but the getting hot is buging me and running a 4000 traxxas lipo i followed the traxxas gear chart were did go wrong?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:30 PM
DieHarder

HS! I missed this on your other thread. Yeah, you should be running like a 21-23T Pinion and a 84-87T spur. That thing is geared for speed right now and if you're running 3S like you said in the other thread, then that's your overheating problem right there.
Originally Posted by Redjet78
Does anybody know i my vxl motor is running hot it seems should is the motor ok if hot to touch. I am running 76spur gear and and a 31 pinion gear i found the first problem i not adjusted my clutch right i put a new in its right but my motor is still getting hot and kind of acking funny at low throttle did damage the motor or is it in the transmission somewhere but the getting hot is buging me and running a 4000 traxxas lipo i followed the traxxas gear chart were did go wrong?
Old 02-18-2016, 04:38 AM
grabbem88

31/76 is for speed runs only and 2 to 3 back to back runs is max before temps get to 150 ° very quick..

21/76 would be better suited for some bashing and speed runs and 18/76 or 23/83 without worries of hard core bashing..
Old 02-18-2016, 08:24 AM
Redjet78

Thank you all for replying to my message gee i never thought it would heat up that fast well guys i rear geared it and corrected the problem. Boy Traxxas sure does tell you that on the gear ratio chart get hot quick and take a motor out quick just another way Traxxas can make money off you not to bash traxxas at all i love there line products they remind of the real deal !!! Thank for everyone helping me out this she's back on track!!!
Old 02-18-2016, 10:32 AM
DieHarder

Good to hear!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:27 AM
Redjet78

Thank you for your the help!! She's running Great !!!!
Old 02-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Dcuda69

I put a 3500kv in my Rustler and geared it 23/86(3.73:1) It was a wheelie monster on 2s lipo. So I switched it to 32p gears at 18/54(3.0:1) It calmed down the wheelies(it'll still put them up and ride them though) and picked up the top end yet still stays under 140f