Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

slash isnt water proof when u go brushless??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:53 PM
hondaidiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slash isnt water proof when u go brushless??

ok so i just happend across an article on here about the slash and someone said that once u go brushless its not water proof anymore, my question is then why does it state its waterproof, do you have continue to use brushed motors to keep it water proof?? i am confused now.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Always Dreamin

Default RE: slash isnt water proof when u go brushless??

ORIGINAL: hondaidiot

ok so i just happend across an article on here about the slash and someone said that once u go brushless its not water proof anymore, my question is then why does it state its waterproof, do you have continue to use brushed motors to keep it water proof?? i am confused now.
most brushless motors if not are all not waterproof, nor do they like the water. they state it's waterproof because it is... they don't say anything about aftermarket, and yes, you will have to continue to use brushed motors with a waterproof ESC to keep it waterproof. simple.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:44 AM
hondaidiot

hmmm ok interesting, learning something new everyday, glad i ran across that and asked, so this might be a dumb question but why cant they make a waterproof brushless motor i'm new to the rc stuff so just asking
Old 10-18-2008, 02:51 AM
dacaur

Actually, brushless motors are more waterproof than a brushed motor, since in a properly made brushless motor, there will be no breaks in the insulation of the windings, so no place for the water to contact electricity in the motor...

Its actualy the brushless ESC's that are the problem... most arent waterproof.... If you get a waterproof brushless ESC your slash is still waterproof, but if not, then its not... all the stock parts are still waterproof, but the aftermarket non-waterproof ESC will be toast....
Old 10-18-2008, 03:32 AM
shaunmichaeljohnson

LRP make waterproof brushless ESC's

shaun
Old 10-18-2008, 07:50 AM
The Hedgehog

Dacaur you have it completely reversed, its the motors, not the esc's that are generally the problem.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:44 AM
hondaidiot

well thats still good to know, i dont blame him for trying to help answer my question, but if i wasnt aware of that before i bought and some other newbie like me does that their probably gonna wounder why it died in the rain, i was just trying to find something that i could screw around with and praticing driving around not leave the car in pieces if i screwed up and smashed it into something so i figured i better find something pretty durable cause i have a tendacy to find things i'm not supposed to find and break it. i dont really care about speed to much and the only reason i asked about brushless is cause i heard the brushless motors last alot longer than the brushed one's so of course i'm gonna want something that lasts longer, but this is just gonna be a basher for me for now maybe if i like driving and get better at it i'll look into something else
Old 10-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: hondaidiot

well thats still good to know, i dont blame him for trying to help answer my question, but if i wasnt aware of that before i bought and some other newbie like me does that their probably gonna wounder why it died in the rain, i was just trying to find something that i could screw around with and praticing driving around not leave the car in pieces if i screwed up and smashed it into something so i figured i better find something pretty durable cause i have a tendacy to find things i'm not supposed to find and break it. i dont really care about speed to much and the only reason i asked about brushless is cause i heard the brushless motors last alot longer than the brushed one's so of course i'm gonna want something that lasts longer, but this is just gonna be a basher for me for now maybe if i like driving and get better at it i'll look into something else
you say that now, but a month from now you will post a thread saying, "VXL or Mamba" or something to that effect.

anyways, just enjoy the waterproof feature as long as you can. and remember to spray all the screws and stuff that could rust with WD-40.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:45 AM
hondaidiot

good idea, thank god i almost own stock in wd-40 i've almost always got a can of it around somewhere. and yea ur most likely right about that new thread lol, will probably wind up posting one for advise but since i havent figured out how to get my money tree to grow yet[&o] it appears to be more than a month down the road
Old 10-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Druss

Just do what I do, use brushless when it's not wet and switch to brushed when it is... it only takes 5 min to make the change over.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:30 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Dacaur you have it completely reversed, its the motors, not the esc's that are generally the problem.
Ok, you dip your brushless ESC in a glass of water, and Ill dip my brushless motor in a glass of water... I will end up with a perfectly functioning motor, and you will end up with a paperweight. You are wrong, brushless motors run just fine even completely under water... but unless an ESC says its waterproof (most arent) then its not.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Krazy Chicken

then what about bl boats? and bl planes that land on water?
Old 10-18-2008, 06:17 PM
FairTax4me

Most RC boaters dread splash-overs because it kills the electronics inside. They're sealed well enough, but usually not 100%. And a plane probably isn't going to get enough water in it to matter, unless it rolls on the landing, then they may have a problem.

Bottom line here is that all of the stock components on the slash are water RESISTANT. They kinda stretch the line there on the waterproof thing. You can drive it in puddles and splash around, but even Traxxas says you're not supposed to completely submerge it, which means its not actually waterPROOF.

Unless you get a BL ESC that says it is "waterproof", you're going to fry it the second you hit water. You can try to make it waterproof yourself, but that would void the warranty. As far as BL motors being "waterproof", the windings are supposed to be coated so they don't corrode, which would protect them from shorting if they get wet, but personally I wouldn't tempt it. Just get a cheap brushed motor (like the titan) and splash away with the stock ESC. That way if it toasts, you aren't out $80+ for a motor. Or $250 for a motor & ESC.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:30 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

I have always heard that the stronger magnets in brushless motors are ruined by moisture. I rescently read of getting brushless outrunners wet without any problems several flights later so I'm not sure what to believe anymore. On the esc side, just buy a waterproof esc.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:17 AM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

Bottom line here is that all of the stock components on the slash are water RESISTANT. They kinda stretch the line there on the waterproof thing. You can drive it in puddles and splash around, but even Traxxas says you're not supposed to completely submerge it, which means its not actually waterPROOF.
According to traxxas, the servo and ESC ARE 100% waterproof, its the other things like Bearings (rubber sealed), motor, transmission and things that are water resistant... Being waterproof and being able to go diving are totally different. Being able to be submerged in a running stream of water, which is how traxxas recommends you clean the slash when its really dirty, by the way, "3. Rinse excess dirt and mud off the truck with low-pressure water, such as from a garden hose. Do NOT use pressure washer or other high-pressure water. Avoid directing water into the bearings, transmission, etc." is completely different from being able to go down even a couple feet UNDER water, which is why they say you are not supposed to submerge it....

As for moisture ruining a magnet, thats pure fiction. The Neodymium magnets used in brushless motors are always plated (normaly with nickel), so the moisture never even reaches the actual magnet....
Old 10-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

ORIGINAL: Stampede Killer

then what about bl boats? and bl planes that land on water?

Boats have a radio box where all the electronics are and sealed by the lid . Sure wouldn`t hold water out if the boat somehow sunk but good enough when running even with occasional dips under the water .
Old 10-19-2008, 11:43 AM
CustomTamiyas4Life

If the windings in a brushless motor are water tight, as are the magnets, then why the hell has everyone always said they are damaged by water? Maybe someone should step up and actually run an old one is water and see how it does. As I said, I have heard of brushless outrunners being completely wet without problems, so is all the hype possibly fictional? I'm pretty new to brushless, only owned one system so far and have run it on wet surfaces but have not actually submerged it or run in rain.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:52 PM
dacaur

ORIGINAL: CustomTamiyas4Life

If the windings in a brushless motor are water tight, as are the magnets, then why the hell has everyone always said they are damaged by water?
This is the first time I have ever heard that, who is "everyone"?
Old 10-19-2008, 05:00 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

I'm not directing it to you. Look at most of the previous posts,most said the motors are not waterproof, and I have been hearing just that for years, but from what you are saying, I don't see why the motors wouldn't be waterproof.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:36 PM
kahnen

I ran brushless boats (and flipped them most of the time)and the motor was the least of your worries to get wet.Blow it out and spray the bearings after gettting wet with corosion X, wd-40 or some kinda lube and your good to go. The motor I used had air vents in the front and rear of the casing so it wasn't "sealed" up or nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URH_QC25YqM
Old 11-04-2008, 12:39 AM
cody1615

I think this is stupid, i know that most brushless motors are "water proof" but most esc. are not i have learned this the hard way from float planes and bad placement of speed controls but the easiest way of finding out if the motor is water proof or not is to see if it says it is!!!. I have a stock slash and it's raining were i live but it has'nt held me back from submerging it in 2ft. deep puddles and it's fun. The only reason they state that it's water resistant not water proof is because they dont want to have to deal with people returning a product if something does happen to go wrong, say if a seal was'nt put on correctly, but for the most part they are watter proof.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:47 AM
rhylsadar

hi

imo the "waterproof" feature in those trx models is far overrated. the idea of those nice blue servos, sealed receiver boxes, esc etc was not that you submerge you car but that you can drive in wet conditions. but of course some people tried to overdo it as could have been expected.

i would also say that the motor is not that much of a problem if its not one with a very open can. however i would run it completly under water on purpose.

there are several esc that are "waterproof". [link=http://www.mtroniks.net/]mtroniks[/link] for instance makes a waterproof esc too. also for bigger applications there are the kontronik jive that is waterproof.

just btw also a brushed motor "suffers" from being used in very wet conditions. especially if its dirty water which is usually the case.

bye
rhylsadar