Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Thinking of getting a Slash or other 1/10 scale MT/ST.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 02:25 PM
kinzuagolfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking of getting a Slash or other 1/10 scale MT/ST.

How about jumping into a parked truck a few times? With brushless.
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...0&oq=slash+dur
Old 10-20-2008, 02:26 PM
madkal

any thoughts on what lipo and charger is good?
Old 10-20-2008, 02:36 PM
littleman10101

i have just got the slash (i named it slashy...) i took htis off of a jump and it slid for like 2 feet...i flipped it over and it did it again and then i got it straight on and there was no holes in the body or anything(i do reccomend raising the body somehow so when you turn you dont make the body clear in some places AND get some kind of rubber washer so you dont scrape the body with the clips.)
Old 10-20-2008, 02:37 PM
kinzuagolfer

The Losi ones seem to be pretty good. My neighbor has one.
I think some other good ones are thunderpower and orion.
I hear the maxamps ones are overrated.

My choice would be the Onix 230 or the Hyperion 0606i for single battery charging. I got the 0606i which does up to 6s and 6A max charge rate. Both do Lipo, nimh, nicd, A123, and pb I think.
Another one I have heard good things about is the Batanam B6 I think it is called.

I only use A123 cells so far. (2) 2s and (2) 3s, but one need to be finished being built. They do not fit in the standard battery trays. Lipos will in most-all cases.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

http://www.maxamps.com/categories.php?cat=8
Old 10-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: kinzuagolfer

The Losi ones seem to be pretty good. My neighbor has one.
I think some other good ones are thunderpower and orion.
I hear the maxamps ones are overrated.

My choice would be the Onix 230 or the Hyperion 0606i for single battery charging. I got the 0606i which does up to 6s and 6A max charge rate. Both do Lipo, nimh, nicd, A123, and pb I think.
Another one I have heard good things about is the Batanam B6 I think it is called.

I only use A123 cells so far. (2) 2s and (2) 3s, but one need to be finished being built. They do not fit in the standard battery trays. Lipos will in most-all cases.
How long do your A123 cells last?
Old 10-20-2008, 02:49 PM
kinzuagolfer

They are all 2300mah. Never really timed it. Maybe 15-20 minutes. Seemed to last longer on my brushless setup, but I have only ran it once since I put the brushless in. I'm gonna run today later. I'll get a time on it.
I would go through two batteries per one of my brothers 4600 6cell nimh in his evader while bashing.

The batteries were taken from a 36v Dewalt battery (10 A123 cells). Got it on ebay for about 130 USD I think. Last I checked the going rate was about 140 or so shipped. Might be a little more now.
Some time, solder, wire, and deans connectors (I put male ones on. lol. I shorted one of them while trying to put a voltmeter on). Somewhere in a thread I broke down my costs.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Could you send me a link?
Old 10-20-2008, 04:59 PM
FairTax4me

You can expect to break a lot of caster blocks on the rustler, and bend a lot of hinge pins at the very least. I haven't managed to break any control arms yet, but I've ripped the side of the rear bulkhead off once, and broke a shock which prompted an upgrade to aluminum big bores.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:23 AM
hondaidiot

well from what i heard i just wanna add my two cents i'm not sure if it means this but consider this, do u want to spend more time running and bashing ur rc or going to the local hobby shop and browsing online and ordering the new parts for ur broken truck?? if u got money to throw away and dont mind looking for parts and tearing apart ur truck then get something else, if u do mind then so far from what i've heard the slash is almost as tough as it gets. slash= more time racing less time reparing, something else= more time reparing less time racing but hey what do i know right?
Old 10-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Lilredmachine

I'd listen to the people who have got one. The Slash is nothing like an actual RC Stadium truck, it handles differently, very badly and better all at the same time. It's longer so not quite as nimble, it's got a narrow track and a higher CG so it likes rolling, the suspension is immensely soft and if you stiffen it you defeat the object of the truck, same with adding wider tyres. If you can put up with it you'll be okay, but if it's all you've ever driven then getting a go on a Losi or associated or even a Rusty will make you cry inside.

On dirt it is fantastic, but if you aren't racing, the Rustler is a much better truck and a better buy with the VXL system.

The Slash is strong to a point based on how lucky you are. I tore the rear bumper off it landing wrong at our track, wrenched every screw out of that plastic tranny case and pretty much totaled the back end. I then did it again when the rear dug into the ground and hit a rock when the suspension compressed, tearing the back end up again. It's cheap to fix, but there is a reason RPM has a huge catalogue of parts for Traxxas vehicles...

I presently run it on road with 50k oil in the rear diff, road rages, a 12t double (yes, on the XL5 with a 7 cell pack) and a more road friendly sussy setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66334.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1056196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53711.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1056197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87751.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1056198  
Old 10-21-2008, 11:34 AM
The Hedgehog

Lilred, youexperiences at the track are sure unique. Here I race at 2 separate track, indoor offfroad and outdoor, and no one has ever broken anything on their slashes, and there have ben quite some tumbles.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Lilredmachine

Mine are just bad luck. I've actually done it again recently but very mild, still using the same bumper and tranny case. I really ought to invest in an alloy case lol.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

I know someone who bought a Slash the day it came out and that day we broke 5, or maybe 6 different parts. Fortunately he had bought some replacement parts with it, but needless to say, he didn't buy enough!! EVERY TIME he drove it this summer he broke at least one part. He never did things like jump off his roof or anything, this was strictly in the yard, and at my track. I think all of his problems may have been related to having the very first release of the truck, but people at my LHS have had these same problems. He's broke a-arms, camber blocks, turnbuckles, shocks, etc... It is meant to be a desert racer not a huge jumper and hardcore basher IMO. I'm not hating on it, it does have its place, and it is fun, but.... their are far better all around basher trucks out there that seem to be much tougher. Maybe we just got a bad batch of them at my LHS though?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

I'd listen to the people who have got one. The Slash is nothing like an actual RC Stadium truck, it handles differently, very badly and better all at the same time. It's longer so not quite as nimble, it's got a narrow track and a higher CG so it likes rolling, the suspension is immensely soft and if you stiffen it you defeat the object of the truck, same with adding wider tyres. If you can put up with it you'll be okay, but if it's all you've ever driven then getting a go on a Losi or associated or even a Rusty will make you cry inside.

On dirt it is fantastic, but if you aren't racing, the Rustler is a much better truck and a better buy with the VXL system.

The Slash is strong to a point based on how lucky you are. I tore the rear bumper off it landing wrong at our track, wrenched every screw out of that plastic tranny case and pretty much totaled the back end. I then did it again when the rear dug into the ground and hit a rock when the suspension compressed, tearing the back end up again. It's cheap to fix, but there is a reason RPM has a huge catalogue of parts for Traxxas vehicles...

I presently run it on road with 50k oil in the rear diff, road rages, a 12t double (yes, on the XL5 with a 7 cell pack) and a more road friendly sussy setup.
There is a couple of problems I have with the Slash. One is the scale looks. It's good, and then it's bad at the same time. It's good, because it simply looks amazing off jumps, and in the dirt. The downside is that it doesn't do too well on street, with wider tires (for more grip), the truck doesn't look half as good, the bodies are expensive, and almost everything you do to make it handle better takes away from it's scale appearance. By the time the scale look is gone (stiffer springs, wider tires, different looking wheels, unrealistic paint job, the truck is kind of defeated, and you're left with all the downsides.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:46 PM
The Hedgehog

Tuning your Off-road truck for onroad use isn't the best strategy.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Tuning your Off-road truck for onroad use isn't the best strategy.
Stiffer springs will give the Slash better handling. Less body roll, the better. The more body roll, the more it looks like a Corr truck (the point of it). So, as you add stiffer suspension, there goes your looks, and in comes the handling.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:50 PM
The Hedgehog

Stiffer springs do not improve OFF road handling. It is an offroad truck after all. More traction is offered at the expense of body roll.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Always Dreamin

I want something that is durable, as durable if not more so then my Rustler with RPM. Next, I think I want 4wd, time to step it up. I want it to be brushless. The E-revo I think fits all these categories, but I have a couple of problems with it.

1) I have 4s right now, but i heard that it will overheat with 4s, and run cooler with 6s. I know it doesn't make much sense, but that's what the professionals say. What do you guys think about this? I sure as heck wont be buying this car then putting 6s in it. Atleast not right away.
2) Uses two batteries. How are the runtimes compared to one battery in my Rustler?
3) Overkill
Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Stiffer springs do not improve OFF road handling. It is an offroad truck after all. More traction is offered at the expense of body roll.
Yes, I understand. But that is also true for my Rustler. For what I do, I need the On/Off road driving. If I'm just going to be getting stiffer springs for the Slash, I'm right where I am right now, in the handling department. I think I do want to step it up though.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Barber420

AutoXman - If you're having issues with a truck rolling over when turning and stiffer springs solve it that IS improved handling. A truck that likes to roll obviously does not handle well. The issue with the Slash is finding that happy medium where it doesn't roll over, but still soaks up the bumps well. Ah suspension settings, what a fun game!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: Barber420

AutoXman - If you're having issues with a truck rolling over when turning and stiffer springs solve it that IS improved handling. A truck that likes to roll obviously does not handle well. The issue with the Slash is finding that happy medium where it doesn't roll over, but still soaks up the bumps well. Ah suspension settings, what a fun game!!!
Ok, so suspension is one problem. The other one is tires. Right now there is only the stock tires, and pro-lines new tire for the Slash. All the other tires just look bad on it. They are too wide, or too tall. 2wd is hard enough to control, bad tires is just frustrating.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Barber420

Plus, the rims on the Slash factory are STUPID!! Who makes a rim where one side is 2.8 and the other is 2.2; what were they thinking. I have seen some buggy rims and tires put on them that do look good though.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: Barber420

Plus, the rims on the Slash factory are STUPID!! Who makes a rim where one side is 2.8 and the other is 2.2; what were they thinking. I have seen some buggy rims and tires put on them that do look good though.
Ya, and I don't know what they were doing with the rear A-arms different? Anyways, not trying to hate on the Slash here. I might just get a 3s lipo. Zippy sells them for like $53.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Barber420

Agreed, I'm not hating on the Slash. It's a fun truck! Just pointing out some of its issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.