Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:01 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kid you not, i have done some ligitiment tesing and have proved this for a FACT. You CAN increase morot torque and speed, CHEEPLY. Just wrap some sheet metal (aluminum foil don't work tin foil may). Around the can of a brushed motor, and i have seen and heard a noticible increase in rmps and torque. I don't know what this does on draw and is probally not race legal but i suspect this is similar to the traxxas 550 motors becuase they are longer they get a bigger magnetic field = more power.

the lug
Old 11-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Always Dreamin

Default RE: ELECTRIC MOTOR TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i assume this only holds true for a brushed motor? even though brushless motors use a really large magnet, so it might help.. hmm, interesting... [&:]
Old 11-04-2008, 12:17 AM
turbotb0205
My Feedback: (31)

its called a flux ring aircraft motors use them to increase torque it helps with the magnetic field and yes.. brushed only
Old 11-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Chris_RC

So would this help if you race in stock class with a stock motor?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:35 AM
FairTax4me

Trinity beat you to it.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGVU7&P=0
Old 11-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Chris_RC

If it creates less rpm I wouldnt really want it then. The whole idea of a stock motor is torque and NOT top speed.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:12 AM
Access

Brushless motors are like brushed motors turned inside out, the permanent magnets are in the rotor and the electromagnets are in the can. Depending on the motor family, they can be very 'tuneable', ie. you have the Novak 'R' and 'L' series and then you have tuning rotors of different diameters. Using this you can tune the torque of the motor so it's easiest to control. Certain ESCs also have a 'current limit' setting which allows some degree of tuning.

If your brushed motor is 'torquing out' or sufficiently strained in its operation, this may cause its RPM to increase but your motor is probably overgeared at that point. And you got to hope most motors are tuned for optimal operation 'out of the box', as far as the can meteriel, thickness, and such to begin with.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:40 PM
rclugnut10

yeah we kinda got the idea from the trinity (working on a project with a team) but i'ld thought i'ld share just to i'm gunna try it cuz just to see the results

the lug
Old 11-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Krazy Chicken

that will be nice for some bashers who want more torque, like me with my super blackfoot, better wheelies
Old 11-08-2008, 09:54 PM
twindaddy66

Traxxas already uses them on the Titans for sure. So do drill manufacturers, at least Skil anyway.

The motor on the left is a Titan 550 from a new EMaxx, the motor on the right is from an older Skil Warrior 9.6v cordless drill it is a 550 motor as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89086.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1068402  
Old 11-09-2008, 05:33 AM
Lilredmachine

It's a flux ring, as pointed out.

They are a method of focusing, oversaturating the magnetic flux/field so that it is held in the can and onto the armature, in a way they are like another form of gearing. Depending on the material used (there are many different types, most are a complex alloy concoction containing some, or all of high-silicone iron, armco magnosteel, transformer steel, semicarbon 29K steel, etc.) it can have a different effect. Mostly they are used where greater torque is required (hence 550s) and removing this ring will (in extreme cases) give 30% higher RPMs, 20% less torque, 10% more power, will degrade the runtime, increase the current draw, decrease the efficiency and therefore increase the heat released by the motor. The eventual effect is a motor that will fail a lot earlier than one with a flux ring. Magnetic field strength and current are two key factors in deciding a motors torque, by controlling it and focusing it you can change how a motor performs.

Think of it as a direct way of dropping a couple of teeth on a pinion. Like most things, they are there for a reason. Do not assume you will decrease the heat produced by an E-maxx Titan by removing the flux ring and fitting a heatsink.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:06 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

It's a flux ring, as pointed out.

They are a method of focusing, oversaturating the magnetic flux/field so that it is held in the can and onto the armature, in a way they are like another form of gearing. Depending on the material used (there are many different types, most are a complex alloy concoction containing some, or all of high-silicone iron, armco magnosteel, transformer steel, semicarbon 29K steel, etc.) it can have a different effect. Mostly they are used where greater torque is required (hence 550s) and removing this ring will (in extreme cases) give 30% higher RPMs, 20% less torque, 10% more power, will degrade the runtime, increase the current draw, decrease the efficiency and therefore increase the heat released by the motor. The eventual effect is a motor that will fail a lot earlier than one with a flux ring. Magnetic field strength and current are two key factors in deciding a motors torque, by controlling it and focusing it you can change how a motor performs.

Think of it as a direct way of dropping a couple of teeth on a pinion. Like most things, they are there for a reason. Do not assume you will decrease the heat produced by an E-maxx Titan by removing the flux ring and fitting a heatsink.
What do you do for a living? You seem to know a lot about this stuff.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Lilredmachine

I've just grown up in a family pretty much centered on RC, and raced from a very early age, so tend to take a rather more in depth approach in terms of motor technology and architecture than i maybe would have. Flux rings interest me as at first glance they appear to be a crack pot idea that someone suggested at a board meeting (like brushing your tongue and your teeth) but they really are very important to these motors. I am a qualified mechanic though I chose to not spend the rest of my life doing oil changes on old peoples Citroens and Skodas. I had to look into these motors as part of a school project in tech a few (many now []) years ago and came to like them as an alternative to brushless. Mainly through being stubborn and pig headed as it was at the time everyone was praying at the altar of brushless and claiming it was all over for brushed and I was sick of it.

I've got a couple of brushless vehicles and enjoy them very much, but people need to experience these unappreciated providers of power. I'm hoping that the Traxxas Summit will shine a bit of light on to big block brushed motors, as people realise they can't swap out the brushed for a brushless and go mudding with quite the same enthusiasm they once had.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 PM
zbot

i have found another short term solution to geting higher rpms. To do this, get a cup fill it with water. Dunk the brushed motor in hold the leads. attach a 9volt battery to it. the motor will run underwater surprisingly. this will get out any dust or dirt in the motor. try to shake the water out or use air tool to dry it. Then test it out!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Barber420

Seems like if you have a motor with bearings, instead of bushings, this could hurt the bearings as they will fill with water?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:25 AM
Lilredmachine

ORIGINAL: zbot

i have found another short term solution to geting higher rpms. To do this, get a cup fill it with water. Dunk the brushed motor in hold the leads. attach a 9volt battery to it. the motor will run underwater surprisingly. this will get out any dust or dirt in the motor. try to shake the water out or use air tool to dry it. Then test it out!

Will work short term, however do not use it on Neodynium based motors. The chances are you will knacker the motor unless you blow it out carefully with compressed air and then lube the brushes after. This is the recommended break in method with PMDC closed endbell motors, dunk in water for about 30 seconds whilst running. DO NOT dunk the motor in for longer than 5-10 seconds after break in, you will fatigue the brushes. All you are doing is removing dirt/carbon and cleaning the comm/brush surface, lengthy submergings after break in will just load up the motor and shorten it's life span.

Also don't do it with 9v, more like 7.2v. 9 is overkill.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:50 AM
Access

For 'water break-in' you should always use distilled water, you don't know how much junk there is in lots of modern tap water.