Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

E-Maxx Battery Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 03:29 PM
fritz175

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Maxx Battery Help!

Hey everyone!
Lately I've been looking into getting an E-Maxx but i don't know what type/brand of battery to get.
I know i want to start out with a 7 cell NiMH, but don't know where to go from there.
I'll be bashing in my backyard.
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Andy
Old 11-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: E-Maxx Battery Help!

IB(Intellect) cell battery, MaxAmps, www.cheapbatterypacks.com are where I would look to first. Those are the ones that people seem to like the most. I only have IB batteries, but I think the MaxAmps are supposed to be the best. However, the MaxAmps are the most expensive I think(You get what you pay for). Stay away from Venom. Their NiMh's suck, they start out fine, but wear out and lose power fast!![:'(] People also seem to like GP cell batteries which can be had for a fair price at Radio Shack.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:52 PM
fritz175

Thanks!
What is the most common mAh and what kind of runtimes can i get. I'm looking for maximum time possible.
Sorry for all the noob questions. I'm a nitro guy.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Barber420

I think the biggest MAH batts you can get in NiMh right now are 5000Mah. The bigger the better as far as run time goes. My Ib's are 4200Mah and I get about 30-40 minutes of run time on average in my 10T with a 17T brushed motor. The only real downside to bigger batts is that they take a little longer to charge and they cost more. I think the biggest IB's you can get right now are 4600Mah, but cheapbatts.com and maxamps both make 5000mah batts I believe.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:03 PM
BigBrett

Get the Ib's I have 3600's and then also I have two sets of 4200's I can get about 15mins on average with my batts . This is with both of our trucks this is my 8yr olds Esavage and then my emaxx"Brushless" .
Want more run time and more power go lipo. Im doing th switch and man it is a huge difference.
Opps i forgot one big one . SMC batteries they are top notch.
Check these guys out .
http://www.smc-racing.com/energ.html
Old 11-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I would suggest Ib's to I hear nothing but good stuff about them.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Barber420

I actually found out recently that IB's pop/explode sometimes, while I've not seen it myself, two or three people on here have mentioned it. It seems that everytime it's happened they've been newer batts so I'm guessing it's just a few random people getting a bad cell. Mine, and all of my buddies, IB's are doing great and they have a LOT of runs and charges on them. I'm not saying not to get them, I'll probably buy more of them, but I'm just letting you know. Keep in mind that any battery can pop/explode though. It's just a risk that is always there, even if it's only a miniscule risk, with batteries.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:37 PM
emaXXman123

ANYTHING that holds, conducts, uses energy can explode lol
Old 11-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Barber420

ORIGINAL: emaXXman123

Exactly, you just have to hope the risk is low! Has anyone ever seen a transformer explode on a telephone pole? That is quite a sight!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 PM
emaXXman123

ORIGINAL: Barber420

ORIGINAL: emaXXman123

Exactly, you just have to hope the risk is low! Has anyone ever seen a transformer explode on a telephone pole? That is quite a sight!!!
ive seen one! puite the show lol

when i was 8 my computer like exploded out the back and there was a huge burn mark on the litle desk thing we have lol
Old 11-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Barber420

Sweet! I was able to see a big telephone pole transformer explode about 5 years ago. I was only about 50-75' away at the most and it was insane!!!!! It was kind of like a HUGE electric firework going off! I'm glad I was walking home and not driving when it happened, 'cause it would've made me crash for sure! Another reason not to drink and drive, and instead walk home from the bar.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:52 PM
fritz175

Thanks for all the help!
what kind of runtimes and speed can i get out of lipo?
Can you guys recommend a good NiHM and Lipo charger also?
BTW, you talked about SMC. Are their batt. 7 cell packs or can you only get 6 cell or lose cells?
Does that make sense?[&:]
Does anyone have an opinion on maxamps? I was looking on their website and they seem to be good for the money, are they really worth it?
Sorry for all the noob questions just want to make sure i get everything out of my soon-to-be E-maxx.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:41 AM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: fritz175

Thanks for all the help!
what kind of runtimes and speed can i get out of lipo?
Can you guys recommend a good NiHM and Lipo charger also?
BTW, you talked about SMC. Are their batt. 7 cell packs or can you only get 6 cell or lose cells?
Does that make sense?[&:]
Does anyone have an opinion on maxamps? I was looking on their website and they seem to be good for the money, are they really worth it?
Sorry for all the noob questions just want to make sure i get everything out of my soon-to-be E-maxx.
sorry noone responded. if you are still getting/got the maxx, lipo is what makes the traxxas vxl's do 70 mph and push the savage flux to 62 mph. i have heard of people getting 40 minutes easely. smc as i recall do come in 7 cells but mostly 6 cells. the duratrax onyx 230 seems pretty good for the price but only charges one pack at a time.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Frankfka

lipo will give you more run time but its the voltage and gearing that sets the speed.ppl say maxamps are overpriced...I would get a rhino or zippy lipo...they're cheap and not bad.Id start out with nimh